Towercaps NOT fixed yet

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Towercaps NOT fixed yet

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:04 am

Natural cave. No mining. Planted a towercap. Waited until it grown. Chopped down. Got Cave-in.
That's just unbelievably dumb and discouraging.
Marked as "fixed" so much much times, but still in game.
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Re: Towercaps NOT fixed yet

Postby Ardennesss » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:07 pm

Working as intended, this mechanic makes tower cap wood more valuable. Please stop criticizing game mechanics, if there was a problem they would've fixed it, thanks.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby Dakkan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:29 pm

But, doesn't the towercap deserve a chance to win?
Dakkan

Postby Vigilance » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:04 am

i don't see whats wrong, by chopping down the towercap and causing the logs to hit the cave floor it created enough sonic disruption to cause caveins to fall from the ceiling.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby loftar » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:05 pm

Is the area that caved in supported by anything else, and if not, how was it mined out to begin with?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Fierce_Deity » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:40 pm

@Loftar, sometimes we clear large open areas with no supports to clutter them. Its a painful bloody process but can be accomplished through many concussions and broken miner helms.
Fierce_Deity

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:33 pm

loftar wrote:Is the area that caved in supported by anything else, and if not, how was it mined out to begin with?

well, ask yourself - it's yours map-generator, who did it, not mine)
I do believe you can look at mini-map on screenshot and see "natural cave" as description.
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby abt79 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:15 pm

loftar wrote:Is the area that caved in supported by anything else, and if not, how was it mined out to begin with?

Lmao dude are you serious? It’s a natural cave. Weren’t you the one who coded these things?
abt79

Postby Vigilance » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:29 pm

lets not bully fredrik he didnt have his morning coffee before going through the bugs threads
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:02 am

I still don't see what the bug is.

Let's take it from a logic standpoint.

First part--the logic of the design. (Maybe this is what was intended, maybe it's just coincidental from the process of map generation rules.) Just because it's a natural cave doesn't mean any dangerous tiles are wiped out (and they shouldn't be IMO). Even a natural cave, over time, is going to continue to grow to erosion and geologic processes that created it in the first place. Eventually, maybe in a few hundred years, maybe several thousand, it's going to collapse. People come in and build structures up to support the ceiling. In this case, it's a fantasy mushroom that grows large enough and strong enough to prevent the natural collapse of stone. That means it exerts pressure in specific vectors. (Side discussion: we're not talking about a built support that rests against the current structure, but one that is grown in. You have to think of things differently in this case.) This changes the math of the whole system. Unstable areas can now become more unstable, or shift the regions of instability. However, while that support structure remains there, things are "safe." (Since we don't have any "cavern growth" mechanics, we can ignore that "it's eventually going to collapse" thing for now.)

Second part--the submitted image. We only have a partial picture of what happened. Was it one of the tiles that is currently suppoirt, or for all we know, was the tile that actually collapsed not supported? From the debris field, I can't tell by that picture. It could very easily be working as intended.

If you think there's a bug, a better argument on what you think the bug is should be given. If it's only that "natural caves should always be safe," well, I have to disagree, and maybe this is what loftar thinks; maybe he has another reason that "it's not a bug." It's the best explanation I can give for such a terse answer. (TBH, if I was designing the system, it'd be far more dangerous to move supports and "miss" supporting a tile when the supports get added and destroyed.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Next

Return to Bugs