17/2=8

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

17/2=8

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:38 am

First of all, let's quote loftar:
loftar wrote:Just to expound a bit on the mechanic:

A particular construction project will use the different "ingredient" slots for various things. Most simpler things just take one material from a certain slot, like the rustic chair, which takes its bark material from the wood-block slot, and its bare wood material from the board slot. In these simpler cases, it's simply the most common wood type used that determines the material, even if that material is used for less than half of the building materials. If there are more than one type that were used as much (like 2 blocks of birch and 2 blocks of pine for a total of 4), then it is not well-defined which one will be used.

For more complex projects, on the other hand, several materials may be deduced from the same input slot; such as for the stone mansion, which uses three stone materials from its single stone slot. In these cases, the different stone types used are sorted according to prevalence, and the top three are used, but only under the condition that each subsequent material in that list is used at least half as much as its preceding material. If that is not the case, the last "common-enough" material is used for the rest of the stone materials.

For instance, if you build a mansion out of 130 pieces of gneiss, 70 pieces of granite, and 50 pieces of basalt, then gneiss will be used for the first stone material, granite for the second, and basalt for the third. This is because granite was used at least half as much as gneiss, and basalt was used at least half as much as granite (though less than half as much as gneiss, but that is not a problem).

On the other hand, if you build it from 150 pieces of gneiss, 75 pieces of granite, and 25 pieces of basalt, then then gneiss will be used for the first stone material, but granite for both the second and third, because while granite was used at least (in this case, precisely) half as much as gneiss and is thus valid, basalt was used less than half as much as granite, and is thus not valid, so only gneiss and granite are considered. If you were to build a mansion from 247 pieces of gneiss, 2 pieces of granite and 1 piece of basalt, then naturally gneiss would be used for all three materials.

Of course, what input slots and at what precedence their contents are used for different materials on the completed project, differs from construction to construction.

And now back to the [sad] story:
I was building my new knarr yesterday with comlex picture on sail.
I've bought a sketchbook page to make a picture, and started to gather cloth. After I've proceeded all my wool, I've found myself with 17 wool cloth in the end. So I've made 33 other cloth pieces staying within rule "no more then 8 of other cloth" keeping in mind:
"basalt was used less than half as much as granite, and is thus not valid, so only gneiss and granite are considered"
And I ended up with striped sail made of wool and linen. Cool stuff!
Okay, I've thougth, waited for another wool piece, made one wool cloth, bought another sketchbook page, end ended up in beign unable to change the apperience of the sail (nor any other knarr part)...
so I was fucked up twice for a real money products.
Keep up the good work, they say.
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Re: 17/2=8

Postby loftar » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:22 pm

Enjoyment_2 wrote:I've bought a sketchbook page to make a picture, and started to gather cloth. After I've proceeded all my wool, I've found myself with 17 wool cloth in the end. So I've made 33 other cloth pieces staying within rule "no more then 8 of other cloth" keeping in mind:

Hmm, can indeed reproduce. That seems odd. I'll look into that.

Enjoyment_2 wrote:Okay, I've thougth, waited for another wool piece, made one wool cloth, bought another sketchbook page, end ended up in beign unable to change the apperience of the sail (nor any other knarr part)...

Works for me. Are you following the correct procedure of just right-clicking the sketch page to choose the material-change mode, rather than trying to right-click with the sketch on the sail, or something like that?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:08 am

https://imgur.com/a/fqXktSq
I think Im doing it all right - it works with boats and with dock, but not with knarr or sail
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby Hasta » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:18 pm

Is the knarr docked?
Hasta

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:35 pm

and how could it be docked on 18th July (thread creation time) if this possibility was implemented on 19th July?
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby Hasta » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:25 pm

jorb wrote:[*] Ships can now "Dock" by a dock. Snekkjas can not be bashed while docked.

The "Dock" possibility was implemented on May 28th.
nvm, found out that knarrs, apparently, aren't "ships".
Hasta

Postby loftar » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:09 pm

Enjoyment_2 wrote:https://imgur.com/a/fqXktSq
I think Im doing it all right - it works with boats and with dock, but not with knarr or sail

Ah, right, as of the update with detachable sails, you need to furl the sail and change materials on it in that state. Less than optimal, perhaps, but there is no simple fix that I can apply immediately for that.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:17 pm

worked, thx for advice
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Return to Bugs