Bug or intended execution?

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Bug or intended execution?

Postby smr010 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:14 am

Greetings.

I don't know if it's an intended mechanic that I'm unaware of, but I died without any mob attacking me directly. The animal in question was the mammoth. A group of three people were attacking the mammoth and I collapsed. My friends lured the mammoth away from me and kept attacking it. I was fine, just knocked out, with around 200HHP left. My game disconnected and when I logged in, I was still knocked out and the mammoth was still away from me. But shortly after my character just died. I noticed that I died just as my horse took the mammoth stun. What could have happened? Does the mammoth horse stun do that much damage in area? Or something else could have happened?

Thanks for your attention.
smr010

Re: Bug or intended execution?

Postby vatas » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:27 am

Mammoth has ranged attack, I think it's called "Trunk Gunk" or something like that.

Checked wiki, click "expand" under the "Combat Moves." http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Mammoth

Surprisingly, it seems to not be that unrealistic: https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... /87671480/
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby mvgulik » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:55 am

Yea.
RoB wiki wrote:(Mammoth) Will execute you if they KO you.
... Remind me of some screenshot with someone leisurely walking near a mammoth. ;)

vatas wrote:Surprisingly, it seems to not be that unrealistic: https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... /87671480/
What was that ... "animal rights advocacy group", Screw that.
Better idea. Lock all human in railed-cages while inside a zoo.
mvgulik

Postby vatas » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:49 pm

Yup PETA is full of shit, noted that but decided to not mention but since you already took the cat out of the bag https://www.whypetaeuthanizes.org/ (despite what it may sound, it's not in defense of PETA.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby mvgulik » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:40 pm

vatas wrote:(despite what it may sound, it's not in defense of PETA.)

Roger that.
Thanks for additional link. Very informative.

Back to Mammoth ... I think. Although, it seems kinda solved.
... They kill hearthlings, if given the chance. ;)
mvgulik

Postby iamahh » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:42 pm

mammoths sound freeze your soul

they aggro randomly, shoot from distance

if they could swimm they'd destroy your knarr too
iamahh

Postby vatas » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:18 pm

iamahh wrote:mammoths sound freeze your soul

they aggro randomly, shoot from distance

if they could swimm they'd destroy your knarr too

They can indeed aggro you, but according to jorb, it should be rare.

vatas

Postby smr010 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:45 am

Well the thing is: The mammoth wasn't attacking me after it knocked me out. My friends lured the mammoth away a bit and it was attacking them while I was knocked out. I'm almost sure the mammoth did not shoot its projectile at me (at the very least no one noticed it). I suspect that the mammoth's "Trumpeting Fury" was what killed me, even though I heard it does no damage and only stun horses. So I was wondering if what happened was a bugged execution from Trumpeting Fury, or if it's really a powerful, big AoE attack that killed me. Can anyone confirm if it does such damage?
smr010

Postby Hasta » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:36 am

smr010 wrote:My friends lured the mammoth away a bit

How far away is "a bit"?
Hasta

Postby MadNomad » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:22 pm

RoB wiki wrote:(Mammoth) Will execute you if they KO you.

this is not always the case
I remember aggroing a mammoth with a fresh character some time ago and it got KOd without getting killed

wasn't it changed in some patch from months ago so that there's a RNG based chance of animal to keep attacking on KO ? the guy was just unlucky and not careful enough

smr010 wrote:....or if it's really a powerful, big AoE attack that killed me. Can anyone confirm if it does such damage?

no idea but if you did not have mammoths portrait in top right corner then it's difficult to find other explanation, there are a few attacks that attack the main target and targets that are close enough but I'm not sure if it would attack someone that is not aggrod (and there's never really any need to find out besides unusual situations like this one you had)
MadNomad

Next

Return to Bugs