Unable to Launch/Run game

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Unable to Launch/Run game

Postby ojami » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:31 pm

I haven't played since 2017 but am trying to give it another go. My only real problem is no matter what I do I just get unable to launch application error. I have tried removing and reinstalling Java. I have tried the 64 and 32 versions of java. I have tried a number of other things from older forum post with no luck. My computer is a 64 bit windows 10 machine. If anyone has any advice for trouble shooting the problem it would be much appreciated.
ojami

Re: Unable to Launch/Run game

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:30 am

Please post the error log you get. If it's not popping up when you run the application, it might simply be getting dumped to a file. You should be able to find the file "hs_err_pid.log" on your computer. It is generally placed in the same location you installed Java too, but you may need to search your drive(s) for it.

Otherwise, some specific information on the hardware in the computer might be useful. Haven recently received some graphic upgrades and now requires OpenGL 3.x to run. Also, there is at least one known bug/conflict with the OpenGL API that is used. If I understand correctly, loftar is waiting for a pending patch from that developer.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby ReDll » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:27 pm

Try to remove data folder in c:\Users\<YOURUSER>\AppData\Roaming\Haven and Hearth\
And don't rush it to log in. Let it download all data.
God is real, unless defined as integer.
ReDll

Postby ojami » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:56 pm

I couldn't find "hs_err_pid.log" any where on my computer, but the error notification has a details with the following. I think Java is causing the problem.

JNLParseException[ Could not parse launch file. Error at line 1.]
at com.sun.javaws.jnl.XMLFormat.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.access$000(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Content is not allowed in prolog.
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.fatalError(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLScanner.reportFatalError(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl$PrologDriver.next(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.xml.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.xml.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
... 8 more

as far as computer information goes
I have an RTX 2080 Ti an i7-8700k
I updated my graphics drivers yesterday
ojami

Postby ojami » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:58 pm

ReDll wrote:Try to remove data folder in c:\Users\<YOURUSER>\AppData\Roaming\Haven and Hearth\
And don't rush it to log in. Let it download all data.

it isn't getting far enough to even create that file
ojami

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:09 pm

I think you're trying to use the older launch file to start Haven. Click the "Play" button to download the new launch file and try again. You should receive a file named "autohaven.jar." Save it and run from Haven from that.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby ojami » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:40 pm

MagicManICT wrote:I think you're trying to use the older launch file to start Haven. Click the "Play" button to download the new launch file and try again. You should receive a file named "autohaven.jar." Save it and run from Haven from that.

that is what I am doing same problem. Is it supposed to be opened with Java web start launcher?
ojami

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:42 pm

You should be open it like any other .jar file--if Java associated the appropriate extensions, then simply double clicking will open. If not, you can right click, "Open with..." and select Java. It should be something like "Java SE Binary." You may need to go to "more apps" and "locate another app on this PC."

Oracle is dropping support for Java Web Start for the next version if not earlier*. Haven has already updated for this, and simply requires java.exe to run. (*This was as of a year ago or so, and don't recall the specific time frame off hand.)
MagicManICT

Postby ojami » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:01 pm

So now I get a blank black java popup window that is open for about half a second then nothing when I try to run autohaven. I have tried waiting, restarting, reinstalls of java, and saving fresh copies of autohaven. Nothing has gotten me any further.

edit: ran "Jarfix.exe" that i found with some googling and now it is working thanks for the help trouble shooting
ojami

Postby shotmichael » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:45 pm

Do you know the download link or the site providing for the Jarfix.exe? I'd like to try your solution
shotmichael

Return to Bugs