JVM crash in libc.so

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Re: JVM crash in libc.so

Postby mvgulik » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:43 pm

> debug symbols for libc:
1) Could not find some "*-dbg" related package for "libc".
2) Figured it probably would be "libc6" in my case.
3) System packaged manager showed "libc6-dbg" as already installed.
4) Flipped some "debug symbols" switch to on (Update manager: Software sources). (no new updates showed up)
5) Waited for an other "hs_err_pid.....log" file to show up. (system was restarted in that period)
6) Did not see any significant changes in the log file compared to older ones. (as far as I can tell)
7) I'm all out of ideas.

(Its really nice there are so many different Linux distros, flavours, and versions. If you speak Linux that is. :| )
mvgulik

Postby loftar » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:31 pm

Mint seems to be based on Debian, so it sounds like you got the debug symbols properly installed. Why Java nevertheless can't reconstruct the stack is less obvious, however. It could conceivably be that some of the debugging formats have changed since Java 8, so one relatively easy thing to try might be to upgrade to, for example, Java 11. In Debian at least, Java 11 is the default anyway. Did you install Java via your package manager?

If upgrading Java doesn't help with getting a useful stacktrace, then I think it might be hard to proceed without going quite deep. If it were me, I'd try to get gdb to break on the real fault and use it to print the stack at that point. The problem, however, is that Hotspot uses SIGSEGV internally, so one can't just attach to a Java process and and have gdb autobreak on SIGSEGV (which is otherwise its default behavior). Rather, I think the somewhat realistic way to handle it would be to unblock SIGSEGV in gdb (handle SIGSEGV pass nostop noprint) and instead set a breakpoint on the Hotspot function handling an invalid SIGSEGV, which, without being an expert on Hotspot's internals, seems to be the function report_and_die. In order to do that, however, you'd need the debugging symbols for Java installed as well, which, if you installed Java from your distribution's APT repos, and if Mint follows Debian's conventions, should be in the package openjdk-8-dbg or openjdk-11-dbg, depending on what version of Java you end up using.

I think that's about the best advise I can give, unfortunately.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby mvgulik » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:49 am

Roger. Will give it some thought.

loftar wrote:Did you install Java via your package manager?

Don't remember. As such both where probably pre-installed during the OS installation (not so long ago).
(openjdk-8-jre + openjdk-11-jre)
mvgulik

Previous

Return to Bugs