All clients freeze to death

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

All clients freeze to death

Postby yozzik111 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:00 pm

Preposition:
Mac OS Catalina
java 9.0.4
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 9.0.4+11)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 9.0.4+11, mixed mode)

Problem:
All clients (except Amber) are freezing with white screen right after launch.
As suggested elsewhere, i tried running them with java -jar, but nothing happens: when the client starts, console just comes back to input mode without any additional information.
Amber is not a solution after the latest patch as It crashes on my main (and for described reasons I can't log in to remove items from the head slot).

Any help is much appreciated (except suggestions of dual boot).
Wengdalf, gurbibal master, drunken hunter, the thief of Constantinopol, he who never died of man`s hand, son of Severin, grandson of Yozz, Yozzik. Also an owl.

P.S. More nice hats please!
yozzik111

Re: All clients freeze to death

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:10 pm

I strongly suspect your problem is an instance of this previously reported problem. You may follow the steps in that thread to verify whether it's truly the same problem, but I'd be surprised if it weren't. I'm still not sure what to do about it, however.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby yozzik111 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:07 am

loftar wrote:I strongly suspect your problem is an instance of this previously reported problem. You may follow the steps in that thread to verify whether it's truly the same problem, but I'd be surprised if it weren't. I'm still not sure what to do about it, however.

Thanks for your attention.
Yep, white screen in all clients except Amber. Amber is fine (which is confusing, how?). But, on closing, Amber throws the same "main thread quit unexpectedly" error.
Amber uses run file, so I've tried to run all other clients that way - no luck.
So, unless Java itself won't be fixed, there is no way to run them?
Wengdalf, gurbibal master, drunken hunter, the thief of Constantinopol, he who never died of man`s hand, son of Severin, grandson of Yozz, Yozzik. Also an owl.

yozzik111

Postby loftar » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:46 pm

yozzik111 wrote:Amber is fine (which is confusing, how?).

Well, I don't know what the other clients you've tested are, but the main differentiating with Amber compared to default is that Amber hasn't been rewritten to use the new rendering system, and as such it's still using the old JOGL version. The old JOGL version has many problems which necessitated its upgrade, but having the specific bug on MacOS described in the link isn't one of them.

yozzik111 wrote:So, unless Java itself won't be fixed, there is no way to run them?

It's JOGL rather than Java that is buggy, but otherwise, that does appear to be the case.
loftar

Postby yozzik111 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:30 pm

Thanks, Loftar.

yozzik111

Postby loftar » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:21 pm

If anything, come to think of it, I do have a variant client that uses a slightly older version of JOGL (2.3.2). You're quite welcome to try it and see if that works for you:
http://www.havenandhearth.com/java/hafen-jogl-2.3.2-launcher.jar
loftar

Return to Bugs