Rare black screen crash

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Rare black screen crash

Postby Spacecpp » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:13 am

I know this problem might be unrelated to the game itself, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask:

In some rare ocasions, after playing for a while it may happen to the screen to go black for a few moments, then I get the message "display driver stopped responding and has recovered", followed by the game crashing.
I know this may be a problem with my machine rather than the game, but after several years of gaming H&H still is the only game this problem ever happened.
I updated my graphic driver about a month ago. It happened a few times before, happened again today.

Some specs of my machine:
Windows 7 64-bits
Intel core i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz
8gb ram
Nvidia Geforce GTX 970

Java 9.0.1 64 bits
Spacecpp

Re: Rare black screen crash

Postby Nightdawg » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:51 am

I'm 100% sure that's a windows 7 thing that happens in some games. I remember it happening to me at some point in some game when I had windows 7, more than 4 years ago.
I don't remember how I fixed it when I had it, but a quick google search shows people fixing this stuff by using the Registry Editor, so perhaps you should start there.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Spacecpp » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:18 pm

Nightdawg wrote:but a quick google search shows people fixing this stuff by using the Registry Editor

Did you mean the method 3 shown here?: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -windows-7
Spacecpp

Postby loftar » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:08 am

Spacecpp wrote:I get the message "display driver stopped responding and has recovered", followed by the game crashing.

If that's the error you're getting, then it's certainly a driver bug. The fact that it only happens in Haven just means that Haven does something that triggers that bug that no other game does. (Which is not to say that it couldn't be some invalid operation, but even if so, that should still only crash the client, not the driver.) Before anything else, I'd suggest checking nVidia's homepage to see if there's a driver update for your card.

Technically, it could be a hardware error as well, but a driver bug is far more likely.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Spacecpp » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:47 pm

loftar wrote:I'd suggest checking nVidia's homepage to see if there's a driver update for your card.

I updated not too long ago.
Spacecpp

Postby loftar » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:46 pm

Spacecpp wrote:I updated not too long ago.

Perhaps that was what introduced the driver bug. You might want to check if there's some previous version available that works better.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Return to Bugs