Mac OS run problem

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Mac OS run problem

Postby messkaline » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:22 pm

Hello,

cannot play game on Mac OS anymore. I see only part of screen - see attachment. How to fix?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2564-02-23 at 00.17.51.png
Screen Shot 2564-02-23 at 00.17.51.png (183.62 KiB) Viewed 912 times
messkaline

Re: MAc OS run problem

Postby loftar » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:46 pm

messkaline wrote:anymore

Does that mean you were able to run it properly on Mac OS? Did you make any change that caused it to stop running? I know that JOGL seems to have some trouble with some Mac OS configurations, but I haven't seen this particular failure mode before. It almost looks like it could be some sort of DPI-scaling problem, but given that the "logo" seems to be properly centered in the window, I'm not even so sure about that.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby DinisR » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:03 am

I have the exact same issue. Im running it on the new M1 Mac, could the issue be the ARM architecture?
DinisR

Postby loftar » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:25 pm

DinisR wrote:could the issue be the ARM architecture?

The ISA is certainly not going to have any effects on that level of abstraction. If anything, if the problem is isolated to M1 macs, I'd be more inclined to believe it might be a bug in their OpenGL drivers, since Apple seems to be focusing on their proprietary Metal API.

Alternatively, if it is as I speculated about that the problem is related to DPI scaling, you should be able to test that hypothesis by changing the scaling setting on Mac OS, even if just temporarily, to see if it makes some sort of difference.
loftar

Postby messkaline » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:03 pm

loftar wrote:
messkaline wrote:anymore

Does that mean you were able to run it properly on Mac OS? Did you make any change that caused it to stop running? I know that JOGL seems to have some trouble with some Mac OS configurations, but I haven't seen this particular failure mode before. It almost looks like it could be some sort of DPI-scaling problem, but given that the "logo" seems to be properly centered in the window, I'm not even so sure about that.

seems it happened since upgrade to macOS 11 Big Sur.... :shock:

/me crying.... :cry:
messkaline

Postby loftar » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:31 pm

messkaline wrote:/me crying.... :cry:

As mentioned above, you can try playing with the DPI scaling settings and see if that makes a difference. If nothing else, it would be useful to know for debugging purposes.
loftar

Postby messkaline » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:47 pm

loftar wrote:
messkaline wrote:/me crying.... :cry:

As mentioned above, you can try playing with the DPI scaling settings and see if that makes a difference. If nothing else, it would be useful to know for debugging purposes.

I tried change DPI scaling level in OS X settings - no effect.

also the following command-line options for java:

-Dsun.java2d.dpiaware=false
-Dsun.java2d.dpiaware=true
-Dsun.java2d.uiScale=1
-Dsun.java2d.uiScale=0
-Dsun.java2d.uiScale=10
-Dsun.java2d.metal=true
-Dsun.java2d.metal=false

no effect...
messkaline

Postby messkaline » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:03 am

well, I see the same issue on OS X 10.15.2 and OS X 10.14.6. So it is not related to OS update and it seems this bug came with one of latest game updates.... :roll:
messkaline

Postby loftar » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:44 pm

I did find that the JOGL project has released a new (pre-release) version. It would be interesting to know if that makes any difference for you. There's a variant client that uses the new JOGL version here:

http://game.havenandhearth.com/java/haf ... uncher.jar

messkaline wrote:well, I see the same issue on OS X 10.15.2 and OS X 10.14.6. So it is not related to OS update and it seems this bug came with one of latest game updates.... :roll:

If that is so, then I have to admit I have no idea what would have caused it. I haven't changed anything at all that would affect the interaction with the underlying windowing system lately. Are you sure you didn't receive some system updates in the same time period?
loftar

Postby ubersheva » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:26 am

For me, haven client hangs on MacOS right after splash screen, white unresponsive window and spinning cursor. Thread dump attached.
I tried the autohaven from the previous message, the game starts fine, but looks like attached image.
Would it make sense to try running haven with pre-2.4.0 versions of jogl, or it won't work?
Attachments
IMG_1337.JPG
IMG_1337.JPG (136.96 KiB) Viewed 758 times
thread-dump.txt
(11.63 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
ubersheva

Next

Return to Bugs