mapfile warning: error when loading grid

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

mapfile warning: error when loading grid

Postby Erollitovic » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:34 am

After some time of a normal game, the game either freezes without the ability to kill the process (even through the terminal) or completely freezes the system, only turning off the power helps.Updating drivers and changing the client did not help (tried ender and vanilla). Operating system Ubuntu22.04.
Here is an excerpt from the terminal that launches the game
Code: Select all
mapfile warning: error when loading grid 5af533d171e05e8c: haven.Message$FormatError: Unknown grid data version for 5af533d171e05e8c: 5
haven: warning: error when loading grid 5af533d171e05e8c: haven.Message$FormatError: Unknown grid data version for 5af533d171e05e8c: 5
haven.Message$FormatError: Unknown grid data version for 5af533d171e05e8c: 5
    at haven.MapFile$Grid.load(MapFile.java:799)
    at haven.MapFile$Segment.lambda$loadgrid$0(MapFile.java:1144)
    at haven.Defer$Future$1.run(Defer.java:163)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at haven.Defer$Future.run(Defer.java:162)
    at haven.Defer$Worker.run(Defer.java:268)

I hope I described the problem well.
Erollitovic

Re: mapfile warning: error when loading grid

Postby loftar » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:41 pm

This means that you're using a client that hasn't been updated to the latest mapfile format, along with another client that has been. The former simply needs to update.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Erollitovic » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:29 pm

loftar wrote:This means that you're using a client that hasn't been updated to the latest mapfile format, along with another client that has been. The former simply needs to update.

thanks, it removed the error but the friezes did not disappear. Could this be related to the fact that I'm using Linux? or intel integrated graphics card? have ideas how to fix it?
Erollitovic

Postby vatas » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:37 pm

Is this an identical issue?

Are these people running two different clients at the same time or is the problem similar to "stale resources?"
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby loftar » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:28 am

Erollitovic wrote:thanks, it removed the error but the friezes did not disappear. Could this be related to the fact that I'm using Linux? or intel integrated graphics card? have ideas how to fix it?

Sorry, I didn't read OP completely, I thought this was only about the mapfile warnings. For the record, I'm using Linux and I've tested on Intel integrated graphics, so that shouldn't be an issue.

The fact, however, that you say that your whole system freezes leads me to think that this is a problem beyond the game, either with drivers or hardware. Normally, a bug in the client should even be able to make the whole system freeze even if it wanted to, and that goes for killing the process as well. When you say that you cannot kill the process, what exactly are you trying? Just kill or kill -KILL? If the latter doesn't work, you definitely have some sort of OS/driver/hardware issue, and I'd check the dmesg (kernel log) for any clues.

If anything, try changing the lighting mode from Zoned to Global and see if that makes a difference.
loftar

Postby Erollitovic » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:51 am

Erollitovic

Postby Erollitovic » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:29 pm

loftar wrote:
Erollitovic wrote:thanks, it removed the error but the friezes did not disappear. Could this be related to the fact that I'm using Linux? or intel integrated graphics card? have ideas how to fix it?

Sorry, I didn't read OP completely, I thought this was only about the mapfile warnings. For the record, I'm using Linux and I've tested on Intel integrated graphics, so that shouldn't be an issue.

The fact, however, that you say that your whole system freezes leads me to think that this is a problem beyond the game, either with drivers or hardware. Normally, a bug in the client should even be able to make the whole system freeze even if it wanted to, and that goes for killing the process as well. When you say that you cannot kill the process, what exactly are you trying? Just kill or kill -KILL? If the latter doesn't work, you definitely have some sort of OS/driver/hardware issue, and I'd check the dmesg (kernel log) for any clues.

If anything, try changing the lighting mode from Zoned to Global and see if that makes a difference.

I checked the dmesg and found two errors:
snapd-desktop-i[1738]: segfault at 0 ip 00007f5e78e0c3d4 sp 00007ffd01244e28 error 4 in libglib-2.0.so.0.6400.6[7f5e78de2000+9a000]

and
snapd-desktop-i[1588]: segfault at 0 ip 00007fe5f7d6e3d4 sp 00007ffefcd63e58 error 4 in libglib-2.0.so.0.6400.6[7fe5f7d44000+9a000]

if i need to look for something else, can you clarify please?
changing the lighting didn't change anything
Erollitovic

Postby Erollitovic » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:24 pm

I think the reason is found. after some time of playing with the resource monitor turned on, the load on the processor drops sharply, after which the system freezes.
I think the system is trying to kill a heavy process and either kills the game or the system itself. I need a normal PC...
Erollitovic

Postby loftar » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:28 pm

Erollitovic wrote: I think the system is trying to kill a heavy process and either kills the game or the system itself. I need a normal PC...

I doubt it. If that were the case, to begin with you'd find an OOM-killer message in the dmesg, and it also shouldn't make the system freeze. It would be an unusual thing to begin with, but there's no reason it shouldn't even function.
Erollitovic wrote:if i need to look for something else, can you clarify please?

Since I don't know what's happening, I don't know exactly what to look for, just any kind of error or warning. "snapd-desktop" segfaulting is one such error/warning, but very doubtfully relevant to this fault. Of course, you may need to check the log during or even after the system has started to latch up, which can make it difficult. One tip would be to leave "dmesg -w" running in a separate window, which will follow the log in realtime, just to minimize the chances that you miss something that's happening right as it locks up.
loftar

Postby Erollitovic » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:22 pm

loftar wrote:
Erollitovic wrote: I think the system is trying to kill a heavy process and either kills the game or the system itself. I need a normal PC...

I doubt it. If that were the case, to begin with you'd find an OOM-killer message in the dmesg, and it also shouldn't make the system freeze. It would be an unusual thing to begin with, but there's no reason it shouldn't even function.
Erollitovic wrote:if i need to look for something else, can you clarify please?

Since I don't know what's happening, I don't know exactly what to look for, just any kind of error or warning. "snapd-desktop" segfaulting is one such error/warning, but very doubtfully relevant to this fault. Of course, you may need to check the log during or even after the system has started to latch up, which can make it difficult. One tip would be to leave "dmesg -w" running in a separate window, which will follow the log in realtime, just to minimize the chances that you miss something that's happening right as it locks up.

i played with open dmesg -w after a while the system died, again.
these were the last messages in the log:
27.722074] perf: interrupt took too long (2516 > 2500), lowering kernel.perf nt_max_sample_rate to 79250

84.473594] perf: interrupt took too long (3149 > 3145), lowering kernel.perf nt_max_sample_rate to 63500
Erollitovic

Return to Bugs