Trees and Seasons need to be changed

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Trees and Seasons need to be changed

Postby Ardennesss » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:37 am

bmjclark wrote:
Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:
Ardennesss wrote:You should have stockpiled every seed from every tree in case you needed it during other seasons!

It boggles my mind that, with the addition of seasons, there were people who didn't do *exactly this*. What did you think winter in a wilderness survival MMO would be about?

I was fine. Sorry about your lack of planning.

What about people who start playing the game in winter?
They should simply trade needed items or labor with their neighbors to acquire seeds they need during winter!
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby Pills » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:50 am

Ardennesss wrote:They should simply trade needed items or labor with their neighbors to acquire seeds they need during winter!

That is such a horrendous response, player retention is all about actually retaining the players interest, if they can not access some of the most basic elements of the game for HALF of the games season cycles and they join anytime that isn't summer they are 100% fucked, they can not progress until summer, most new players wouldn't think "oh i best go find somebody who i can be a slave too to get some seeds to make basic curios etc" they would think "well this game is fucking dumb" and delete it.

also, "during winter, spring and the first few days of summer"

so, at a max if they joined the game in the last couple of days of autumn, 23 REAL DAYS
Pills

Postby Daefae33 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:19 am

bmjclark wrote:What about people who start playing the game in winter?

Ardennesss answers this succinctly, though clearly dripping with sarcasm.

Pills wrote:
Ardennesss wrote:They should simply trade needed items or labor with their neighbors to acquire seeds they need during winter!

... How is this a bad thing? Player interaction? Trade?

bmjclark wrote:Just because you want this game to be terrible doesn't mean it should be.

Yes... I desire the game to be terrible... That is clearly my ambition.

There is nothing worse than player interaction, meaningful and interesting trade, an actual sense of world and locality, and an immersive environment which includes some inconveniences and uncomfortable periods where:

"MUH PROGRESSION"

Doesn't reign supreme.
Daefae33

Postby Pills » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:51 am

Daefae33 wrote:There is nothing worse than player interaction, meaningful and interesting trade, an actual sense of world and locality, and an immersive environment which includes some inconveniences and uncomfortable periods where:

"MUH PROGRESSION"

Doesn't reign supreme.

You're right, player interactions like trade etc are meaningful and bring a lot to the game and a players experience of their time in the games world, however, if the absolute bare minimum basics are no longer achievable during half of the games season cycle then there is clearly an issue.

Trade is good when its things like "oh i have these seeds you got leather to trade?" etc early world or early progression, not "i've just started and there are literally no seeds do you ahve some i can have please?" its just fucking dumb
Pills

Postby Ysh » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:10 pm

Kill or catch squirrel during winter should give some nuts seeds and such.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:57 am

Ysh wrote:Kill or catch squirrel during winter should give some nuts seeds and such.

This isn't a terrible idea. What would be more interesting would be to have some mechanic like that of the Magpies thieving behavior that causes a squirrel to 'run' to its stash after snagging something off the ground. We could follow it to its hidden stash to recover what it has put away for winter.

Alternately, we could have 'squirrel stashes' randomly spawn in old stumps throughout the winter.

Or a sprinkling of all of the above?
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Pills » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:40 pm

Ysh wrote:Kill or catch squirrel during winter should give some nuts seeds and such.

could make for interesting curios too
Pills

Postby Valnar » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:04 pm

How does trading for base items work for noobs if they don't discover the item when trading?
Valnar

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:07 am

Valnar wrote:How does trading for base items work for noobs if they don't discover the item when trading?

Make sure the person you're trading with will teach you or give you a material account for the item(s) you're getting.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Valnar » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:10 am

MagicManICT wrote:
Valnar wrote:How does trading for base items work for noobs if they don't discover the item when trading?

Make sure the person you're trading with will teach you or give you a material account for the item(s) you're getting.

Ahh, I see. I didn't realize that was a feature, though are new players going to really know that's a thing that they should be on the lookout for? Maybe if they are in a realm chat or are active on forums/discord.
Valnar

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas