Fishing Group Differentiating fish

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Fishing Group Differentiating fish

Postby evanyu4 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:59 am

I would love to see fishing be separated into 2 groups.
Group 1 is shallow water fish. These are all small fish with a rare chance of a certain large fish.
group 2 would be deep water fish. These are all large fish.
Bugs and worms would work to catch the small fish as they can fit the mouths around it , where as intestines, and other large bait would be used for the deep water fish. This would add a certain level of skill to fishing as well as allow to help catch certain fish you want ie: if you want a perch for intel you would only fish shallow water , that way you would have a higher chance to catch it.

Would also like to a fishing net, made with 3 rope and 10 string, gets dragged behind the boat, slows the boat down drastically, but depending on the distance you go has a high chance to yield fish, the longer the distance the more chance of a lot of fish. Just some idea's that would make fishing better and more of a job and task in haven. Wouldn't mind the addition of a fishing skill that allows for less bait lost and fewer lines broken the higher you level if , and could take less time to fish, determined by strength and intelligence. There you have ladies and gents my fishing rant hope you enjoyed 8-) 8-) :mrgreen:
Poo
evanyu4

Re: Fishing Group Differentiating fish

Postby Granger » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:09 am

Fishing net would be nice, but could be tricky to balance so it is not overpowered.

Maybe being able to make different kinds of nets (spacing of the knots in them) could be a route:
- fine threaded one catches smaller fish but can be easier bitten through by bigger ones (damaging it)
- coarse one out of thicker fibers is more unlikely to be bitten through by big fish but small ones can slip through

Net would get damaged so it requires repairs, and should have an option to be totally lost.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:18 am

evanyu4 wrote:I would love to see fishing be separated into 2 groups.
Group 1 is shallow water fish. These are all small fish with a rare chance of a certain large fish.
group 2 would be deep water fish. These are all large fish.
Bugs and worms would work to catch the small fish as they can fit the mouths around it , where as intestines, and other large bait would be used for the deep water fish. This would add a certain level of skill to fishing as well as allow to help catch certain fish you want ie: if you want a perch for intel you would only fish shallow water , that way you would have a higher chance to catch it.

Would also like to a fishing net, made with 3 rope and 10 string, gets dragged behind the boat, slows the boat down drastically, but depending on the distance you go has a high chance to yield fish, the longer the distance the more chance of a lot of fish. Just some idea's that would make fishing better and more of a job and task in haven. Wouldn't mind the addition of a fishing skill that allows for less bait lost and fewer lines broken the higher you level if , and could take less time to fish, determined by strength and intelligence. There you have ladies and gents my fishing rant hope you enjoyed 8-) 8-) :mrgreen:

The fishing net isn't a bad idea, though they aren't typically used for trolling rivers. Instead I'd see them as being a placeable item in rivers that don't block boats or people traversing said river. They'll catch fish incredibly slowly if there's no bait, but bait can be added to increase their yield.

Though honestly, as part of the trapping idea (Which fishing nets/cages/etc are) it'd be interesting to see a tiered system.

Basket Weir - Made from sticks and a couple string. Can only catch a couple fish at once, only single inventory slot fish, and fish not collected in a certain time period die, so checking regularly is necessary. Can only be placed in rivers.

Fishing Net - Made from rope, cork, and stones. Can be baited or unbaited, can only be placed in rivers, and neither this nor the above block boats. This one can catch small or large fish, and again if not regularly checked the fish will either be gone, or rotted beyond edibility.

Fishing Weir - the highest end item. This does in fact block rivers, but is easily destructible if not on a claim. This one can only catch large fish, but due to the construction, the fish won't die as fast. This one has the added effect of attracting bears in proper biomes, though they will yield nothing on being attacked and butchers (to prevent farming).

Now there's an additional kind of fishing net that could feasibly be used in lakes, and only for catching certain kind of fish, and that's this kind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishing#/ ... hing-3.jpg

Basically the key to making all of these interesting and not OP would be to have them required for acquiring certain kinds of fish. (Especially certain kinds efficiently).

Choice of location, choice of equipment, choice of bait.

In the event of pole/rod fishing - Choice of bait, choice of time, choice of moon, choice of location.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby tardy0 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:22 am

I dont think it should be dragged with the boat. Maybe placed on the side of a boat, or along the side of a river.

Granger wrote:Maybe being able to make different kinds of nets (spacing of the knots in them) could be a route:
- fine threaded one catches smaller fish but can be easier bitten through by bigger ones (damaging it)
- coarse one out of thicker fibers is more unlikely to be bitten through by big fish but small ones can slip through

Net would get damaged so it requires repairs, and should have an option to be totally lost.

I like this. Maybe have it where you can make a net with say, 5 string, and then that makes the smallest net possible. You are able to add more string to it to repair it, or increase the size of the net up to maybe double the size of the small. (for the bigger fish)
The net wouldn't block boats or anything.

Would also like to see you be able to fish horrible knots from the nets that are lost forever, much like the old boot that could be fished if someone had drowned with rangers boots, except I expect nets to be more prevalent.
"Once upon a time there were two noobs. One day a greifer came by and killed them both"
~The end
tardy0

Postby jorb » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:27 am

Fishing nets are on my list of things I'd like.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby evanyu4 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:36 am

jorb wrote:Fishing nets are on my list of things I'd like.

great to hear that look forward to it, Love all the updates that have been happening really nice to see :D
Poo
evanyu4

Postby jorb » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:58 am

You're welcome! Love seeing people in the game, finally.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby ninja_yodeler » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:13 am

While it's now lost in the hearth vaults or whatever, when I made this suggestion however many years ago I thought the best way to balance was net's can catch the smaller fish, but not the large, and then have rods more likely to catch the larger fish than small. That still seems like a good way to go about it.
Phaen wrote:RIP Homicidal Ninja :(
Let us reflect upon the good he was able to do during his short time in the hearthlands.
Let us remind ourselves of his bravery and willingness to fight for the safety of his friends!
Let us hope he can surpass his previous achievements in his future lives.
<3
ninja_yodeler

Postby endiron » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:16 pm

ninja_yodeler wrote:While it's now lost in the hearth vaults or whatever, when I made this suggestion however many years ago I thought the best way to balance was net's can catch the smaller fish, but not the large, and then have rods more likely to catch the larger fish than small. That still seems like a good way to go about it.

I really like this idea -- and the idea earlier of having a placeable net in rivers and lakes is a nice idea too!
Right now sitting with a rod takes forever and you're only likely to catch a few fish in a decent period of time -- so compensating by giving us predominantly larger fish for pole fishing would be a great solution

Something I posted from another thread that I'll copy over here related to fishing:
One thing I'd really like to see (or hear I suppose) is a splash sound when you catch a fish. As it stands, there's not really any associated sounds for fishing, like the old music that used to play in Haven 1 stopping. As it stands, fishing takes a while, and it'd be nice to hear a splash or some kind of similar sound effect when you reel in a fish -- and similarly maybe a casting out sound effect to play when you don't get a bite and your character tries again.
endiron

Location: Sipping from a coconut with a little umbrella while the hole in my palisade is breached

Return to Critique & Ideas