QoL: Filled buckets in inventory

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

QoL: Filled buckets in inventory

Postby Granger » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:30 am

Handling fluids for rafting currently is complete unfun as buckets need to be eqipped in the hand slots when filled.

I see the point in nerfing full buckets in the inventory while it comes to running around in combat (even when currently 12L of water can be compressed into one inventory slot by using an exquisite belt and waterskins).

Hence: Please let us put filled buckets into the inventory again.
Make us move slowly (speed 1) while we have a filled bucket in there to not spill the contents - either by clamping the speed to 1 or by (gradually) spilling the contents should we move faster - but allow us to move full buckets through our inventory.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Re: QoL: Filled buckets in inventory

Postby Gigglepuddy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:07 pm

i second this. it is extremely frustrating having to go back and forth with 2 buckets filling from my honey barrels when im spamming out sweet beets. i cant afford to keep a few buckets inside of cupboards and craft from them, as the cupboards are filled with beets. similar problem crafting pretty much anything that needs bucketted fluids.

or let us place buckets on the toolbelt. yeah that would be far more useful.
Gigglepuddy

Postby Granger » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:02 pm

Gigglepuddy wrote:or let us place buckets on the toolbelt. yeah that would be far more useful.

40l of fluid compressed into one inventory slot... I don't think so.
Being able to put them in the inventory (and then having to move carefully to not spill the contents) would be enough.
Granger

Postby ven » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:28 pm

Nerf everything and call it Quality of Life.

If anything, implement new equipment to support this suggestion because carrying six full water buckets in a backpack is ridiculous:

Venator
ven

Postby jorb » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:03 pm

Idk... skeptical, though I do recognize the problem as such. Couldn't crafting from barrels be a more reasonable thing?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby ven » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:13 pm

We are already able to carry barrels and we receive a moving penalty for that. Personally, I don't see why buckets need to be changed this way.
Venator
ven

Postby algorithm » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:32 pm

jorb wrote:Idk... skeptical, though I do recognize the problem as such. Couldn't crafting from barrels be a more reasonable thing?

YES!!!PLEASE!!!!
algorithm wrote:Cape awarded? ;)

jorb wrote:Oh, for sure. Delivery 2022. ;)
algorithm

Postby Granger » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:27 pm

jorb wrote:Idk... skeptical, though I do recognize the problem as such. Couldn't crafting from barrels be a more reasonable thing?

Depends. One would need to be able to open multiple ones at the same time. And the code should prefer them instead of waterskins in the belt (which it should do anyway, equipped waterskins/-flasks should be last resort for crafting, not the primary pick).

But this still wouldn't solve the issue that it's currently very unfun to handle buckets between container inventories and barrels (or between container inventories that can't be opened in parallel), as taking fluid from the barrel closes the container, leaving you with a filled bucket on the cursor that you have to store in one of the hands to be able to re-open the container. Thus the suggestion with the speed limit and spillage.

Or you could implement this, as being able to RMB a bucket on the cursor onto the container to place it in the first free area of its inventory would at least remove a good part of the annoyances that currently come with filled buckets.
Granger

Postby beardhat » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:46 pm

I could see the shoulder/cape slot bucket sling being a thing.

Realistically though, we already have barrels, and you can use your hands when carrying things, imo nerfing carrying so you can't do other actions while doing it would need to be fixed first, even with this 'slow down' limitation for buckets in inventory, barrels will still be more useful overall.

I think a more appopriate QOL change would be adding quick drop/pickup for your hand slots as a hotkey option, so you can just drop your bucket on the ground then pick it back up with a simple click, rather then opening the inventory, dragging the bucket, then doing the same when you need to re-equip, that would have more universal applications to other areas of the game as well, and would cause a global decrease in the need for clicking for a ton of tasks, just to grab something and put it in your hand.
beardhat

Postby SacreDoom » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:40 pm

Really, just add a centralised structure for cooking, or at least making doughs, salads, etc. Something like a kitchen counter, with the ability store barrels, etc. and work it at a centralised interface.
SacreDoom

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas