QoL autopick the best tool

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

QoL autopick the best tool

Postby ErdTod » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:46 pm

I'm asking for a small QoL change: please let the game automatically pick the best tool you have available (in belt) for said task. I.e. it's not hard to switch your q1 sword for your glorious q10 stoneaxe to butcher an animal, but sometimes you forget and it's just little bit annoying. Please let the game autopick the tool from the belt with best quality for the job.
ErdTod

Re: QoL autopick the best tool

Postby Vassteel » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:07 pm

yes please for the love of Jorb yes please
jorb wrote:Stop shitposting.
Vassteel

Postby Hrenli » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:46 pm

It might not be always trivial to know what is the best tool for this exact situation though. If you have a butcher's cleaver and higher q stone axe, for example, what is the best? How the game knows if you want max quality or faster speed?

So if solved it should come with a set of options where YOU tell the game what is used for what.
Too old to rock-n-roll, too young to die.
Hrenli

Postby Sevenless » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:53 pm

While we're on that topic: Combat tools aren't picked, number of times I'm fighting with a stone axe instead of my sword is sad.

How to implement that I'm not entirely sure. Option to choose combat slots?
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby ErdTod » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:20 pm

@Hrenli
I think picking best quality is enough for belt, since I think you would usually not walk around with butchers cleaver, while you definitely keep your stoneaxe, and sometimes you want to just skin the animal without getting meat. So butcher's would be more of a rare case, where you can actually go on and equip it manually, moving stoneaxe to your inventory so it doesn't get swapped automatically (or making a check if it's a tool specific for that job, i'e' not swapping butcher for better q thing's if you are butchering, since it's task-specific tool).

@Sevenless
this would be also so good! Maybe also a checkbox in settings, like in custom clients, i.e. if I want to autoswap out for a weapon and a shield if a combat relation starts for a price of combat cooldown. If no option presented, insta swap would be OK too, since everyone would be in same position, so it shouldn't affect PvP.
ErdTod

Postby Hrenli » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:35 pm

ErdTod wrote:@Hrenli
I think picking best quality is enough for belt, since I think you would usually not walk around with butchers cleaver, while you definitely keep your stoneaxe, and sometimes you want to just skin the animal without getting meat. So butcher's would be more of a rare case, where you can actually go on and equip it manually, moving stoneaxe to your inventory so it doesn't get swapped automatically (or making a check if it's a tool specific for that job, i'e' not swapping butcher for better q thing's if you are butchering, since it's task-specific tool).

As I wrote - not trivial. A lot of conditions and assumptions. Therefore has to be configurable. And probably should be tried as custom client feature first to be polished.
Too old to rock-n-roll, too young to die.
Hrenli

Return to Critique & Ideas