Unplacing Crops & No Underground Seasons

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Unplacing Crops & No Underground Seasons

Postby Dogswards » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:35 am

Hey, so 2 different small suggestions:

1 - This one might have already been discussed, but there should be an option to remove planted crops. It has happened to everyone, planting something at the wrong place, or wrong time. At the moment all we can do is wait for them to grow, then harvest. It would be convenient to have a way to un-plant something, perhaps by using the destroy function (like on trellises).

2 - Remove the impact of seasons on caves. At the moment you cant harvest seeds from stuff like withercorn, tower caps, etc unless it's summer. Why is that? It's underground, so surely there isn't much temperature variation. Making seasons not have an impact underground (perhaps only from cave 2 onwards, to make it more realistic) would make cave hermit, and cave goods (like tower caps for wood) more viable in the winter, and encourage different types of play styles.
Dogswards

Re: Unplacing Crops & No Underground Seasons

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:36 pm

Dogswards wrote:2 - Remove the impact of seasons on caves. At the moment you cant harvest seeds from stuff like withercorn, tower caps, etc unless it's summer. Why is that? It's underground, so surely there isn't much temperature variation.

Underground elves steal the seeds in preparation for H&H christmas. imo they should do more, like throwing snow everywhere.
DDDsDD999

Postby Agrik » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:11 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:like throwing snow everywhere.
Ice, maybe. On L1. But snow? How?
Agrik

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:58 pm

It should obviously strat from cave-entances and mineholes and spread over mine layers
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby Dogswards » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:13 pm

Enjoyment_2 wrote:It should obviously strat from cave-entances and mineholes and spread over mine layers

Ideally, yes. However, that might be too hard to implement, so its probably easier to just remove seasons below level 2 as there are no natural entrances there.
Dogswards

Postby borka » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:19 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:Underground elves steal the seeds in preparation for H&H christmas. imo they should do more, like throwing snow everywhere.

yay!

What is christmas ?!? :?
borka

Postby MadNomad » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:26 pm

borka wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:Underground elves steal the seeds in preparation for H&H christmas. imo they should do more, like throwing snow everywhere.

yay!

What is christmas ?!? :?

I have no idea... I just want to sail around in my knarr and rob random people on the way...
MadNomad

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:45 pm

#1 has been suggested many, many, many... aw screw it. I was going to put a many for every time I saw the suggestion, but it'd fill the page up. (I'm being humorous here, but it's a quite common request.)

It's a technology thing. I think the hesitancy on it is the potential for some very severe bugs.

For #2, I'd argue that if a surface cave entrance and minehole go to the exact same layer, it's deep enough underground to not experience seasons. Caves breath, but it doesn't take long for the temperatures to become constant based on depth (and volcanic activity in the area).
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby pawnchito » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:04 pm

1. pretty sure its been debated for some time and in detail and nothing ever came of it.

2. Yeah this totally irked me about winter. The caves and especially the lower levels shouldn't really be too affected by seasonal changes so spores and shit should cycle on its on accord.
pawnchito

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:15 pm

yes, it would be much realistic if boreworms would just eat uderground trees. year-round. causing cavins in case of towercups. there's no need for seasons in caves
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Return to Critique & Ideas