Game is slowly dying - not growing

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Game is slowly dying - not growing

Postby Liamo360Gbuz » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:38 am

elmapa wrote:I do not understand why you laugh, Wurm online is in the first person and is very similar to Haven and Hearth for its difficulty and complexity, the graphic improvement could be done with Unreal Engine 4 since it is also free, hiring two programmers to do that update and them while you keep updating the game. When it is ready to launch, the server is closed for a month or as long as it takes and they launch it, what a great expansion it would be hehehe. Hafen Make it stay as legacy: lol:

Wurm sucks massive dick tho, played it for quite a while a few years back.
Swedge
Liamo360Gbuz

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:40 am

elmapa wrote: could be done with Unreal Engine 4

Would immediately get rid of half the player base here. You need a "current gen" system to run anything done in UE4. A lot of our player base is on newer systems that wouldn't have an issue, a lot are on systems that barely run the current client. (Note, a comprehensive survey of hardware has not been done, but if you browse through bug reports etc, you can see what variety of hardware there is.)

also, worm is done in Java, so.... /shrug
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby shubla » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:49 am

hiring two programmers to do that update and them while you keep updating the game

Not that simple: both client and server have been made by loftar and are probably not documented at all (other than "self documented" by loftars standards) so it may be quite difficult for some external people to code a client based on them.
Also, hiring good programmers is very expensive, no way that devs have money to do that with current earnings from the game- especially as there is always risk that those programmers are incompetent and will just make even worse client than what the current is! Or leave it unfinished.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Odynak » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:25 am

shubla wrote:
hiring two programmers to do that update and them while you keep updating the game

Not that simple: both client and server have been made by loftar and are probably not documented at all (other than "self documented" by loftars standards) so it may be quite difficult for some external people to code a client based on them.

It is even worse than that. I am a java developer with 16 years of experience. I thought about modifying HnH client some time ago. And decided not to waste my time. It is not developed in accordance with common java standards and conventions. More to that - code quality is... mmm... is not so high. It will be hard to find good programmers who will be glad to deal with that mess.
Odynak

Postby terechgracz » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:37 pm

elmapa wrote:could be done with Unreal Engine 4

Haven's engine is more powerful.
terechgracz

Postby Ysh » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:33 pm

Odynak wrote:
shubla wrote:

It is even worse than that. I am a java developer with 16 years of experience. I thought about modifying HnH client some time ago. And decided not to waste my time. It is not developed in accordance with common java standards and conventions. More to that - code quality is... mmm... is not so high. It will be hard to find good programmers who will be glad to deal with that mess.

Legend is that a man who spends enough time with client codebase will open his third eye and gain ability to pierce the veil.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Oddity » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:42 am

elmapa wrote:THIS GAME JUST NEEDS MUH STATE-OF-THE-ART GRAPHICS BECAUSE I PLAY VIDEO GAMES FOR THE EYE CANDY

jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby MightySheep » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:55 am

evilboy666 wrote:Well i cant say anything about the player count, but one statistic i have observed is as such.

Other than this statistic, i do feel that the core community is becoming less active.

yea no shit the forums are becoming less active, barely anyone uses forums in general these days

also lol @ the guy saying this game need to be completely remade in 3d. In 1 post you say ez 30k players then in the other you say its very similar to wurm. Which is it? because Wurm has even smaller playerbase than Haven currently does
MightySheep

Postby Willberfollower » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:41 am

Haven and hearth is a one of a kind game and doesn’t need any major changes. The player count is pretty much the same as it was since I last played in 2013. The one world and the capability to do anything makes it outstanding.

All the game really needs is a official client that’s good. Which wouldn’t take too much work just steal from the ones already made and then some advertising or be put on steam. Almost every game on steam including ones that are complete garbage have more players then H&H. H&H being a amazing game would rake in more players then the current server could handle.
Willberfollower

Postby xdragonlord18 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:36 am

elmapa wrote:I do not understand why you laugh, Wurm online is in the first person and is very similar to Haven and Hearth for its difficulty and complexity, the graphic improvement could be done with Unreal Engine 4 since it is also free, hiring two programmers to do that update and them while you keep updating the game. When it is ready to launch, the server is closed for a month or as long as it takes and they launch it, what a great expansion it would be hehehe. Hafen Make it stay as legacy: lol:

They laugh because you don't know what you're talking about. Switching to Unreal Engine 4 will not make the graphics suddenly better because that isn't how engines work. They make it as good as you want to make it but you have to do that work still. Unreal is also not free for monetized games. Two good programmers would be very expensive and not enough man power to do this on any reasonable time scale. The server wouldn't need to be closed at all; they could just start the new server but just developing server would likely take months not to even mention the client. Lastly it would be shit for the game. Almost everything would have to be redesigned and it would make it not Haven anymore.
Ysh wrote:You all forget that bucket is include. I think with bucket it is fair price.
xdragonlord18

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas