Winter and Snowfall

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Winter and Snowfall

Postby vatas » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:20 pm

Many people have said that winter can actually be fun, the problem is that it for half of it, you can't use the main feature, Kicksled. I have come up with two different ideas for it.

1. Immediately when Autumn switches over to a Winter, a Snow Storm will start. Loggin in or exiting house to it will trigger lore event. Storm will make everything be covered in snow within one in-game day (about 8 RL hours) and will kickstart freshwater freezing.

2. Snow will start falling at the current rate during Autumn, adjusted that world will be fully covered when Winter hits. Snow should not fall onto claimed land during Autumn.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Re: Winter and Snowfall

Postby shubla » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:40 pm

Yes snow should all come at once. Have you ever seen snow jorb? It often comes in only a few hours!
Should happen in 1 ingame day at most.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Amanda44 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:04 pm

shubla wrote:Yes snow should all come at once. Have you ever seen snow jorb? It often comes in only a few hours!

I guess it depends where you live and the ground temperature, in the UK it can often snow for days without any significant snow cover on the land, esp in the south.

That said ...

I actually like both those ideas tbh, maybe we could incorporate both of them, having snow that starts falling in Autumn but on the first day of winter we get the storm to finish off the land covering and trigger the lore event. I like the idea of a blizzard that affects both visibility and speed whilst it's active. Maybe a new curio too in the form of a 12-Sided Snowflake, found only in blizzards. :)

12-Sided Snowflakes
Sometimes capped columns form with a twist, a 30-degree twist to be specific. The two end-plates are both six-branched crystals, but one is rotated 30 degrees relative to the other. This is a form of crystal twinning, in which two crystals grow joined in a specific orientation.
These crystals are quite rare, but sometimes a heavy snowstorm will bring quite a few.
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby vatas » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:03 pm

Bump, my post was really late for devs to do anything for the current winter but it should be clear that my point is valid, winter is pretty much half-way through and land still isn't fully covered by snow.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Massa » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:05 pm

vatas wrote:Bump, my post was really late for devs to do anything for the current winter but it should be clear that my point is valid, winter is pretty much half-way through and land still isn't fully covered by snow.

I tried using a sled and honestly I think if I keep this up I'm going to have a seizure.

No boats, sleds are unusable. Absolute ass. Just 100% snow it all, easy.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby hektor96643 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:16 am

I liked winter, we could sled in high speed, hunt things we couldnt otherwise, open map, do fetch/talk-to quests easily ot then just go deeper and greedy in my mine. Lots of fun, you needed just to make preparations in autum, which adds values to the simulation part of the game. Ofc, starting your alt on winter is like play it in hard mode, not pleasent, but doable. Now the winter is shorter and snow till take too much time to make sleding fun. So my take on that is we should design winter around the idea "make players adventure outside their palisades"
hektor96643

Postby vatas » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:14 pm

Bump, I should've done this sooner but if devs manage to squeeze something this Sunday it would be before the next winter.

vatas

Postby WowGain » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:29 am

Highly support. What's the point of winter's main draw if it only really exists for maybe 2 in-game days out of the entire season?
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby shubla » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:31 am

Maybe devs actually don't live in Sweden, but some warm country in Africa instead, and have never actually seen snow, so they do not know how it works!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Thaydi » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:58 am

+1 to this!
World 10 - Founder and Duke of the Duchy of Rattenschloß
World 9 - Founder of Meadhaus County
Thaydi

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas