Improve blacksmith credo

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Improve blacksmith credo

Postby saltyfish » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:17 pm

Blacksmith credo is one of the most critical to the game play, yet it has the most meaningless "bonuses" (bonuses is overstatement):
    * Level 1: +15 to STR or Masonry for the credo which is at least the 6th credo has no any meaning. Characters doing this credo usually have already decent STR and masonry.
    * Level 2: more irrlight ?.. It is no good curio... 0 use; for esthetics (?)
    * Level 5: Which is supposed to be THE pinnacle of credo is again absolutely irrelevant as its like 2-3% chance of getting an extra item has no practical impact on anything

I would propose:
    * Level1: +50 PSY
    * Level1: 25% faster bloom when loading and lighting finery forge up
    * Level1: keep same
    * Level 4: keep same
    * Level1: increase chance of quality going up by 10-15% from what it is now
saltyfish

Re: Improve blacksmith credo

Postby Dawidio123 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:51 pm

Arguably you could buff most credos by yeeting useless bonuses idk why blacksmith should be the first one to do eh. The ore smelter upgrade is HUGE, the speed upgrade is also super nice for mass crafting and finally the doubling is honestly still pretty good when you are crafting curios, it's literally free stuff.
Also STR + 15 is nothing to sneeze at considering people who get blacksmith are usually miners that need all the str they can get (also it's the first perk so eh) which goes along with all the previous "mining" credos like quarry man that gives 20 str and masonry, and miner which gives 15 of both.
Irrlights are yeah not great but honestly great for larp lanterns (i think the lanterns should work as torches to light smelters and so on tho)

I think you should look at the overall value of credo and not just at 1-2 perks that aren't as great. Bcs honestly having a blacksmith make your smelters is HUGE diff, and crafting curio with a character that has it is a lot nicer.
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby Antvgr » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:08 pm

Lanterns are pretty useless with no way to make the default lighting go away. The game is too bright. I actually find it strange that it's clear as day in caves.
What could be good is steel making. From what i have read about the topic(still working to that end), it requires a long series of constant refilling on tight time limit. Why not make blacksmith credo players have easier time making it?
Antvgr

Postby JohnBender » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:21 pm

As Dawidio123 said, this credo gives a huge bonus just with the greater capacity smelters, one of the best in the game. I like the strength bonus as well. As a casual scum, strength starts to get more hard to push at higher numbers.
JohnBender

Postby The_Blode » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:17 pm

Antvgr wrote:Lanterns are pretty useless with no way to make the default lighting go away. The game is too bright. I actually find it strange that it's clear as day in caves.
What could be good is steel making. From what i have read about the topic(still working to that end), it requires a long series of constant refilling on tight time limit. Why not make blacksmith credo players have easier time making it?

Actually dark games where you NEED some form of light to see in dark areas are something I really like, and I want like HELL to have a reason to wander around with a lit torch in haven.
It just goes at odds with how people can crank brightness, gamma, etc. and see just fine. Or in haven's case, use a custom client to mat_fullbright everything.
The_Blode

Postby Antvgr » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:26 pm

The_Blode wrote:It just goes at odds with how people can crank brightness, gamma, etc. and see just fine. Or in haven's case, use a custom client to mat_fullbright everything.

That's why I am for making base game dark. Like if some people want bright game - they can turn the option in their custom client. But others should be able to enjoy lighting.
Antvgr

Return to Critique & Ideas