QoL: ease of movement - traverse mode

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

QoL: ease of movement - traverse mode

Postby meabeab » Sun May 12, 2024 10:33 pm

Add traverse mode that allows hearthling on feet to walk into certain types of game objects' bounding boxes.

Whole purpose is to make navigation in crowded animal pens, stuffed huts, compacted pot/log/carcass yards and densely populated markets slightly more bearable. Also to squat on a bench. Or to hide into your victims' wardrobe. Or to have free range chicken farm. Or to just squeeze past your roommate AFKing in your doorway.
"Tech" details below
Traverseable objects list:
  1. All liftables
  2. Critters
  3. Players
  4. Stockpiles
  5. Bushes
  6. Tree stumps
  7. Singletons like
    1. Reed
    2. Strongbox
    3. Wooden Fence
    4. Drystone Wall

Suggested traverse mode could be activated via Toggles menu or by manually switching to crawl speed.

Even slower movement speed and wading animation seems suitable.

Some of game objects could have added kind of "height offset" value that vertically shifts a traversing hearthling (akin to shallow water tiles). So it would look like a character is stepping over logs/boulders or climbs right on large flat pieces of furniture. Surely, OCO would be more versatile approach at this.

Please share you thoughts on possible cons from player perspective (like ill effects on QoL, security-wise concerns and so on).
Last edited by meabeab on Mon May 13, 2024 6:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
meabeab

Re: QoL: ease of movement - traverse mode

Postby Massa » Mon May 13, 2024 3:33 am

is this just noclip
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby terechgracz » Mon May 13, 2024 4:06 am

teleport good
Bounding boxes bad
terechgracz

Postby meabeab » Mon May 13, 2024 5:07 am

It is noclip (technically) with 2 main limitations: only thru some objects, and with movement speed penalty applied. The goal is to simulate stepping/climbing over logs, rocks etc. or pushing through a crowd/thicket (the list above misses reeds, my bad).
meabeab

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon May 13, 2024 5:11 am

It'd certainly make bots easier to set up, but I'm not sure that matters.

Is it really that hard to step around your cows, however? Isn't that a reasonable consequence of being too cluttered?

Don't really care one way or another though.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby meabeab » Mon May 13, 2024 5:30 am

Not sure about bots either: there are very reliable pathfinding methods in some clients already.
Yes, it would make gameplay more "clutter tolerant". Personally I find this as a good thing.
meabeab

Postby Dawidio123 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:43 am

Well, i think you should strive to make your own base walkable if you just shit stockpiles/cupboards next to each other without a way to access them it's on your bad design and i don't think the game should encourage that. People who fill their houses to the brim with cupboards so much that they have to lift and move them to access al of them deserve what they get.
Now as for players idk, i don't really see this being useful in a market but it might be fucky in bodyblock situations in combat, or allowing more people to stack up, either way if you have to crawl through another player does that mean that person could keep you crawling by walking with you? Would that make the other player also slow down to a crawl while you are both in each other bounding boxes? It's just problematic i think.

That being said, i do think having a way to traverse pens full of animals (since the optimal amount of them you need is not reasonable to begin with) would actually be kinda neat and would save A LOT of time for the herders in villages. Obviously if we are being petty you could say "uhm just make bigger pens" but the size of pig pens you would need for it to not be annoying to work with is just not reasonable. Also yeah bots already can handle herding using pathfinding so "making it easier" is not really relevant and would just save normal players time while making bots that already outcompete these players slightly faster (who cares they can do it 24/7).
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby terechgracz » Mon May 13, 2024 2:30 pm

qol good add teleporting wand working inside bases
terechgracz

Postby meabeab » Mon May 13, 2024 5:55 pm

Dawidio123 wrote:you should strive to make your own base walkable[.] if you just shit stockpiles/cupboards next to each other without a way to access them it's on your bad design and i don't think the game should encourage that

With traverse mode (TM) 50% crawling speed penalty accessing well-designed base layout would still be much much faster.

Dawidio123 wrote:it might be fucky in bodyblock situations in combat

Good question. What if speed penalty is applied only when player in TM is moving towards obstacle's bounding box center.
So it would be always possible to get out of opponent's hitbox without any speed penalty. And you wouldn't be able to slow down others with your own bounding box only.

Dawidio123 wrote:allowing more people to stack up

Technically people do stack up
meabeab

Postby meabeab » Mon May 13, 2024 6:03 pm

terechgracz wrote:qol good add teleporting wand working inside bases

Teleporting? Get your own thread good sir.
Here we are discussing prospects of merry ol' walking, very consistent and natural. Walking, just plain old walking, source of a lot of experience we'd recognize.
meabeab

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas