Taming is not fun

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Taming is not fun

Postby Grable » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:57 am

jorb wrote:I'm not fond of it either, and I'd love a better minigame.

Throw a rope on animal, start at 10 distance. The minigame is directional key presses, up, down, left, right. It's composed of sequences - one sequence is for example <up, up, left, down, up, right>, appearing one after another. You have about a second (or less) to press the right key, pressing the wrong one fails the whole sequence.

Win sequence, get 1 distance closer to animal, fail sequence, get 2 distances away from animal. If distance >10, then you lose the rope and can't retame for x minutes or whatever. Animal is tamed at 0 distance.

Simple and fun :p
Grable

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:55 am

I like how long it takes to tame an animal, but the system is indeed a little meh. I was having some disparate thoughts about taming, in general, involving multiple and different styles of stages.

Perhaps involving animals having different personalities that need different types of mini game to bring in line.

Maybe the current one is the way to subde one that is naturally unruly (bulls, pigs, rams)

Maybe something else can stop a cow from kicking over the bucket when you milk them(resulting in less or no milk).

*by the by, can we get sheep milk/cheese already?*

Or stop a sheep from struggling when you shear them (stopping the shearing or ruining the Q)

I would also see "taming" be a process that has to be addressed with every new birth, but with those tra it's formerly trained in a parent animal passing down in some form, with a random variant that can result in a passive cow throwing an unruly bull that has to be subdued again.

Would love to see ranching become it's own fully fledged profession with additions like these, and not just a farming sideline.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Archiplex » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:19 pm

Maiden wrote:It's just more stats to rise, and the more stats added, the more hard it is to rise them. If it was just something that went up with each generation, at least shit cows would be worth it to let live, but no, they go down too

I very much agree with this- if anything they should start at 100% and move around at 1-2% increments rather than by 5%, or just remove them completely.

Right now, animals seems to have a difficult time raising in quality at all (similar to chickens) and the entire Quality % makes it even more horrible.

I would also find it a bit more interesting if the three quality values were directly based off parent, right now only one seems to matter, breeding.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas