the satiation system is garbage

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: the satiation system is garbage

Postby ekzarh » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:34 am

Massa wrote:
my argument is that it's arbitrary and annoying and doesn't serve as an interesting or beneficial mechanic

what betterment does this system offer?

It's arbitrariness is a flaw. That one is true.
I would suggest that satiation resets happen like once per 12 hours to make it unavoidable.

The (intended by developers) benefit from this mechanic is
1) balancing power-eaters and casual
2) Enforcing the variety of food produced. Which makes people to do different sequences of actions to make food. Which reduces boredom and tiredness form the game.

Power players are just made like that - if they can find an optiomal algorithm to gain max stats per hour - they will follow it. If this algorithm consists of making 3-4 types of food than it will be short. Short repetitive sequence of actions makes people lose interest much faster than long and variable sequence.
So in the end, mostly subconciously, sations makes people get more fun from the game and stay in game for longer.
ekzarh

Postby 2d0x » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:53 am

Massa wrote:i won't stop posting about how this system needs a change

It's up to you. But the quantity does not turn into quality.
Excuse me, I don't speak English.
2d0x

Postby ArgentRhapsody » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:24 pm

I completely agree with you on both threads. Satiation is literally the stupidest system i've ever seen in any game ever. WHY DOESN'T ANY FOOD SATIATE ITSELF? WHY DOES IT SATIATE ARBITRARY GARBAGE COMPLETELY UNRELATED???? Hunger makes sense, energy too, but good god they couldn't have been implemented in a worse, interlockingly crappy way, compounded by the fact that salt is a localized resource, and basically unattainable by newbies, the ONLY people this system actually fucks over. It's like they don't want new players at all... Honestly the Salem food system is 200% better than this tire fire. At this point i'd settle for them copypasting it over into this game.
ArgentRhapsody

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:30 pm

Colin500 wrote:Encourages to stop playing, I don't see a problem with that.

It's a feature!

Also, yes, the satiations system is a trash-can. Remove pls.
DDDsDD999

Postby ekzarh » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:39 pm

Still laugh at people ask to just remove it without solving the problem that satiations do solve.
Re-doing satiation system where bakery satiates bakery, meat -> meat is ok.
Removing drinks abuse - ok.

Removing system at all - crappy idea.
ekzarh

Postby Massa » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:54 am

ekzarh wrote:Still laugh at people ask to just remove it without solving the problem that satiations do solve.
Re-doing satiation system where bakery satiates bakery, meat -> meat is ok.
Removing drinks abuse - ok.

Removing system at all - crappy idea.

they don't solve a fucking problem at all

there was no problem to solve

let us eat our stats up without 50 roadblocks fuck

removing drinking so everyone's satiations stay at a cozy 20%? perfect idea wow you're so smart!!!!!!!
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Kathaelle » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:12 am

ArgentRhapsody wrote:Honestly the Salem food system is 200% better than this tire fire. At this point i'd settle for them copypasting it over into this game.

Salem food system is terrible.
what
Kathaelle

Postby dafels » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:21 am

Colin500 wrote:Encourages to stop playing, I don't see a problem with that.

respect ++
dafels

Postby Pinkie-Pie » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:13 am

I kind of like having to actually eat a large variety of foods.

The Satiation system is a fun mechanic to work around, it slows character growth in a sence making way. Your guy gets tired of eating the same thing over and over. I mean wine and tea are pretty easy. You don't have to fight anything and its basically just a side effect of tending your farm. Milk is a little tougher, but really not much.

You act as if wine, milk and tea are these just unreachable, end game things. They're not.

That being said, the satiation values defiantly go down way faster then you can reasonably raise them back up without drinks. It should be that if I eat a veggie, my Meat satiation value goes up by maybe half the value my veggie satiation went down.
Pinkie-Pie

Postby ArgentRhapsody » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:00 am

Kathaelle wrote:
ArgentRhapsody wrote:Honestly the Salem food system is 200% better than this tire fire. At this point i'd settle for them copypasting it over into this game.

Salem food system is terrible.
Salem and H&H food system work off basically the same premise, but Salem's is way simpler. In this case simpler is much better. They both are FAR from perfect, but at least with salem's I can actually eat food without having the satiation system be a piece of crap that just gets in the way for no good reason and with no rhyme or reason whatsoever to what it satiates. It's satiation system is much better than H&H's.
ArgentRhapsody

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas