I don't know why everyone hates the fishing credo, I find it the easiest one to do.
In general though I think the whole Credos system needs to be reworked.
Their order, their prerequisites, the immense imbalance in usefulness are all issues that would make it easier to rework from scratch rather than try to fix.
In my humble opinion, credos should:
- Be a one way street towards character specialization. Pick a path and focus on it, no branching out. Could also be a great way to teach new players how to do specific roles. If you decide a path is not for you, you can reset and lose the credos you've done already to start over.
- Follow the game progression logic. In a village, the Cook is almost never the one that goes out hunting. The Pearl Diver is not the one that spent days in the mines getting gems. And so on. I understand the "logic" behind it, but it clashes with the reality of the game.
- Have quests be less specific. Instead of "Pick 3 parasol mushrooms" you get "Pick 15 mushrooms". "Harvest 30 wheat" becomes "Harvest 60 grains". "Fell a Plane tree" becomes "Fell 10 kinds of trees".
This would greatly reduce reliance on luck. More generic goals allow for higher numbers to balance it (numbers in my example are random, it can be less or more depending how much you want to slow it down).
- Have more balanced rewards. Some rewards are useless or come in way too late. Other rewards are must have, like Tailors extra gilding or Gardener unique planting abilities. Some are just nice to have. If you want to lock some things behind credos, then those credos should be the end of the line (my 1st point) and every "end credo" should have a similar unique thing.
I realise it's a lot of work. But it's long overdue. I'd be happy to put down a more detailed scheme if it helps.
