The current hunger system incetivizes alts

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: The current hunger system incetivizes alts

Postby NOOBY93 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:59 am

overtyped wrote:
NOOBY93 wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:Alt spam is crazy efficient until you set up symbel, drinks, and salt, since you can just override the system at that point. I'd like to hear any reason the current energy system adds some sort of fun or intrique to the game, besides being able to ignore its downsides later on.

this

overtyped wrote:the system is fine as is.

how

I haven't used an alt, and i'm doing fine.

Good for you, that in no way means that using alts isn't much more optimal.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby ekzarh » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:39 am

Massa wrote:if i need to fucking dig a 150x150 underground hole for a village i'm not going to go outside to play grab-ass with beetles, fish and punch animals

Digging a 150x150 underground hole does not seem like 'normal' game activity performable alone in one go. It is supposed to be hard, long and dull task by the core idea of it. Constructive way of avoiding this would be finding a proper-sized cavern. Or living on surface.

I may be biased, but to me it sounds like 'I cannot cut the supergrid of trees around my enemies village - energy and stamina costs are shit - remove them now'.

[sarcasm]I want to make a 200x200 village paved with gold! I want it! Now! Chances of gold are so crap! WTF! You ruin my game experience! Make gold more common than dirt ASAP[/sarcasm]
ekzarh

Postby Massa » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:26 am

ekzarh wrote:
Massa wrote:if i need to fucking dig a 150x150 underground hole for a village i'm not going to go outside to play grab-ass with beetles, fish and punch animals

Digging a 150x150 underground hole does not seem like 'normal' game activity performable alone in one go. It is supposed to be hard, long and dull task by the core idea of it. Constructive way of avoiding this would be finding a proper-sized cavern. Or living on surface.

I may be biased, but to me it sounds like 'I cannot cut the supergrid of trees around my enemies village - energy and stamina costs are shit - remove them now'.

[sarcasm]I want to make a 200x200 village paved with gold! I want it! Now! Chances of gold are so crap! WTF! You ruin my game experience! Make gold more common than dirt ASAP[/sarcasm]

cute strawman

the point very clearly made is that the systems at play, right now, incentivize alt play

by doing heavy work your character demands energy, consuming food, fucking satiations and the hunger bar that is already a delicate balance to gaining FEP

ergo the job is more efficiently and better done with alt spam feeding them garbage like jotuns because it's much less damaging to your main

t h e g a m e d o e s n ' t w a n t y o u p l a y i n g i t
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby ekzarh » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:50 am

Massa wrote:the point very clearly made is that the systems at play, right now, incentivize alt play

by doing heavy work your character demands energy, consuming food, fucking satiations and the hunger bar that is already a delicate balance to gaining FEP

ergo the job is more efficiently and better done with alt spam feeding them garbage like jotuns because it's much less damaging to your main

1. 15$/alt is much better de-incentivizer than changing mechanics which have their purpose and that purpose is needed.
2. The game wants you to be unable to do unrealistic things. Like cutting 1000 trees around someone's base. Or making a huge glimmermoss spawn field under your base. And the game developers are completely right in that effort
ekzarh

Postby Massa » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:03 am

ekzarh wrote:
Massa wrote:the point very clearly made is that the systems at play, right now, incentivize alt play

1. 15$/alt is much better de-incentivizer than changing mechanics which have their purpose and that purpose is needed.
2. The game wants you to be unable to do unrealistic things. Like cutting 1000 trees around someone's base. Or making a huge glimmermoss spawn field under your base. And the game developers are completely right in that effort

who the fuck buys an alt just to throw it onto l1 and dig

with the satiation system i either drink the crap out or just ignore it and produce 3x as much and forget it ever existed
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby ekzarh » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:20 am

Massa wrote:who the fuck buys an alt just to throw it onto l1 and dig

with the satiation system i either drink the crap out or just ignore it and produce 3x as much and forget it ever existed

Great You get my point.
Nobody would pay for an alt to dig. So they will play with their only character and swithc activities when energy is low and hunger is used
ekzarh

Postby aikidragon » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:39 am

I'd rather see the current system balanced to avoid the need of a slave alt instead of seeing the population go down with $15 characters. While there may be some people who would buy alts this way, the problem would still be there.

Why not add an option to eat food just for the energy.
For example: I have a food item that has FEPs attached to it and a hunger percentage as well, however I can eat it without receiving FEPs or hunger penalty, while only restoring energy.

Either add an extra button to eat from a table just for energy or make a separate food category with food items that neither award FEPs, nor it affects hunger, while awarding the energy.

Edit: For either of my 2 suggestions, satiations are not to be affected.
aikidragon

Postby ekzarh » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:13 pm

aikidragon wrote:Why not add an option to eat food just for the energy.
For example: I have a food item that has FEPs attached to it and a hunger percentage as well, however I can eat it without receiving FEPs or hunger penalty, while only restoring energy.

Either add an extra button to eat from a table just for energy or make a separate food category with food items that neither award FEPs, nor it affects hunger, while awarding the energy.

Those feel much better.
I do dislike 'unlimited energy' thingy because energy was also done for purpose.
The reason is for example unlimited mine caverns for cave goods farming. Or all trees chopped down.
But it is still much more reasonable option than removing satiation/energy mechanics completely
ekzarh

Postby Granger » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:52 pm

The issue isn't that much hunger (which should be called appetite to make sense in the current mechanic), but the satiation system.

Change that to give 2 point debuff (to a category where that food is actually in) and 1point buff to 2 categories the food isn't in - should the debuff for all categories of the food already be at max then no buff is given. Then you could feed not-that-interesting stuff to get energy and later benefit a bit from the buffs that accumulated as a side-effect, and we would be rid of the reset mechanic that dosn't make any sense at all.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Pinkie-Pie » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:39 pm

Are you aware there exist high energy foods with little or no FEP impact.

Right out of the gate, a tap root is 100% energy and 1% hunger with no FEP.

Food being tied to two mechanics means you need some amount of planning if you want to go up as fast as possible. There is a survival aspect of the game, so I think you should need to eat, and I don't think you should benefit from just eating endlessly. Both of these are currently accomplished.
Pinkie-Pie

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas