It's impossible to compete in this game if you have a life

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: It's impossible to compete in this game if you have a li

Postby Ozzy123 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:11 pm

CSPAN wrote:Remove hunger reduction and LP gain from quests.Appropriate amounts of EXP only. Quests are fixed.

+1
epicbuds wrote:just got this game a bad review on my website and will post on every forum and game page i can think of to tell people to stay away from this site this game is a joke

viruseg wrote:Kill all new players for no reason. Polish scum came running and killed me with a crowd. Suck fuck fucks..
Ozzy123

Postby Potjeh » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:31 pm

Astarisk wrote:
Granger wrote:
Potjeh wrote:Infinite stat growth is the real problem. People that have lives tend to take breaks from games, and that is severely punished when there's infinite stat growth.

This.

Once you add in a stat cap you need to add in content that a player can do outside of grinding stats. Currently this game seems to lack anything beyond that. Until then stats and progression seems to be the main content of the game -- and limiting them will just lead to a max exodus similar to what happened when they DID implement stat caps.

It's been tried and failed.

Of course the game needs real endgame content like actual functioning PvP with proper motivation. But replacing endgame with infinite repetition of the same farming cycle doesn't work all that well either, as it gets really grating which causes player attrition as the world ages.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:16 am

I did my best to "compete" in world 5. Since then, i've just not had the heart to. It doesn't matter if there are quests or not, curios or LP for actions, or whatever other method of progression there is. Much like WoW and other MMOs, if you can't put the time in, you're not going to stay up with the bleeding edge.

Quests and the food system definitely need some more major balancing passes, though. Curios are actually in a pretty solid place in comparison to those two since the study desk was introduced. (The bigger restriction on curios is time to produce materials from mining, farming, foraging, and hunting.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Astarisk » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:22 am

Potjeh wrote:Of course the game needs real endgame content like actual functioning PvP with proper motivation. But replacing endgame with infinite repetition of the same farming cycle doesn't work all that well either, as it gets really grating which causes player attrition as the world ages.

Infinite repetition is what the game currently offers us as an end game. Once that's removed then there really isn't an end game anymore and no reason to continue your farming cycle at all.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby Ants » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:59 am

CSPAN wrote:Remove hunger reduction and LP gain from quests.Appropriate amounts of EXP only. Quests are fixed.

Yep.

Jorb, please consider.

Astarisk wrote:
Granger wrote:
Potjeh wrote:Infinite stat growth is the real problem. People that have lives tend to take breaks from games, and that is severely punished when there's infinite stat growth.

This.

Once you add in a stat cap you need to add in content that a player can do outside of grinding stats. Currently this game seems to lack anything beyond that. Until then stats and progression seems to be the main content of the game -- and limiting them will just lead to a max exodus similar to what happened when they DID implement stat caps.

It's been tried and failed.

What if only battle skills were capped so that fighting was based on skill rather than which fattie eats the most pies?
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby bmjclark » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:20 am

Astarisk wrote:
Potjeh wrote:Of course the game needs real endgame content like actual functioning PvP with proper motivation. But replacing endgame with infinite repetition of the same farming cycle doesn't work all that well either, as it gets really grating which causes player attrition as the world ages.

Infinite repetition is what the game currently offers us as an end game. Once that's removed then there really isn't an end game anymore and no reason to continue your farming cycle at all.

The problem is that's not a sustainable way to have this game work (see the dwindling numbers after a mere 2 months and the 250-300 that'll be our peak in 5-7 months)
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby DafyddapDafydd » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:53 am

Ants wrote:What if only battle skills were capped so that fighting was based on skill rather than which fattie eats the most pies?

+1
Tedium is a feature.

Formerly known as DaMaGe. Been playing on and off since World 3 in 2010, but my old account no longer functions.
RIP Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:28 am - Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:02 am
DafyddapDafydd

Postby Ants » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:00 am

bmjclark wrote:
Astarisk wrote:

The problem is that's not a sustainable way to have this game work (see the dwindling numbers after a mere 2 months and the 250-300 that'll be our peak in 5-7 months)

For stat caps to work, we would need a whole new endgame. Got any ideas?

Personally I dislike the idea of stat caps for things that aren't related to fighting.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby nosfirebird » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:24 am

For stat caps to work, we would need a whole new endgame. Got any ideas?

Personally I dislike the idea of stat caps for things that aren't related to fighting.

pvp and siege are endgame content loads of it if siege gets balanced. the whole wiping thing is also a issue the amount of grind thats in the game is ok for a server lasting 5+ years its not ok for a server that will wipe within a year like w11
Last edited by Granger on Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed broken quote
nosfirebird

Postby shubla » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:49 am

I think the issue is much more than just game mechanics.

This game literally makes peoples lives a lot worse than what they would be without the game. I know some people who only play the game instead of going to school or work (like OP mentioned). What are these people going to do when the game eventually shuts down for whatever reason? When they have used years of their life grinding quests and credos in the game?
One could argue that maybe without HnH they would have got addicted in some other game or thing anyway. I guess. But devs should think a bit of moral issues that the current game mechanics, which encourage people to play the game A LOT, cause...

Issue is that by pouring more time to the game, you gain lots of more progress.
This should be changed, add more time gates, like only way to gain LP should be curiosities. No way to relief hunger or satiations. Then people would most likely not play for 16 hours a day, because they could achieve the necessary daily things for being good in the game in less time.
Current system either: makes people quit the game OR ruins their lives...
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas