New Siege Implementation: Siege Claims

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: New Siege Implementation: Siege Claims

Postby jorb » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:05 pm

Omnipotent wrote:
jorb wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:Kinda dumb you guys are doing this right now, and potentially screwing over a lot of village designs that have been built.

There's rarely a good time.

A good time would be on world restart. You know, before people already have walls built?

Indeed, and those are rare events, hence "rarely". We did make sige changes with the reset you know.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby bmjclark » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:06 pm

jorb wrote:
Indeed, and those are rare events, hence "rarely". We did make sige changes with the reset you know.

And you're making them again because a single faction threw an autistic hissy fit on the forums to the detriment of everyone else.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Omnipotent » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:07 pm

bmjclark wrote:
jorb wrote:

And you're making them again because a single faction threw an autistic hissy fit on the forums to the detriment of everyone else.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease my friend.
Omnipotent

Postby shubla » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:07 pm

So somebody can build a palisade 99 tiles away from my wall, and build single wrecking ball in it. And then my walls will be destructible within 18 hours?
Sounds like a shitty system to me.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Burinn » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:07 pm

Omnipotent wrote:
jorb wrote:Disagree with that, fam. You can build a new wall around your base.

False.

Take for example a village that has settled on an island. They were ambitious and already extended our walls to the maximum possible borders available. They want the best defense for themselves, and they build palisades all around it to defend their base. This change gets implemented and they decide they would like to upgrade to brick walls. But in order to build brick walls, they have to either destroy the already existing walls, or build another wall inside of that wall which will still probably need to get bashed in some places.

Bashing the wall and building a new one is trivial. The amount of work needed to replace it safely if there is no external perimeter to expand to is barely more than that, use your brain.

The one or two fringe cases your talking about shouldn't stop Good™ changes from being made to the game regardless.
sabinati wrote:do you expect me to just check the forum constantly, fuck off
Burinn

Postby jorb » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:08 pm

bmjclark wrote:
jorb wrote:

No, because I see some real problems, not least of which are the palisading of precisely everything.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby jorb » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:08 pm

shubla wrote:So somebody can build a palisade 99 tiles away from my wall, and build single wrecking ball in it. And then my walls will be destructible within 18 hours?
Sounds like a shitty system to me.

Go back and read the suggestion again.

jorb

Postby Omnipotent » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:10 pm

Burinn wrote:Bashing the wall and building a new one is trivial. The amount of work needed to replace it safely if there is no external perimeter to expand to is barely more than that, use your brain.

The one or two fringe cases your talking about shouldn't stop Good™ changes from being made to the game regardless.

You do realize islands are spherical right? Not square?
Omnipotent

Postby loftar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:10 pm

Omnipotent wrote:You do realize islands are spherical right? Not square?

Again, arguing that we can't ever add better walls does not make a terribly strong case to me. Your base has not become worse than it was last world.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Omnipotent » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:11 pm

loftar wrote:
Omnipotent wrote:You do realize islands are spherical right? Not square?

Again, arguing that we can't ever add better walls does not make a terribly strong case to me. Your base has not become worse than it was last world.

That's not my argument. If there were someway to upgrade the already pre-existing walls I am 100% okay with it. Burinn is trying to claim it's easy and supposedly safe to break down your only wall and build another in it's place.

But as it stands, changing the logic for every pre-existing wall and not allowing the people to make their own changes accordingly is fucked up.
Omnipotent

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas