New monetization model suggestion.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

New monetization model suggestion.

Postby LadyApollo » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:12 am

Let me ask you guys a question, wouldn't be better if, instead of this Pay 2 Play model, wouldn't be better if it were a Pay 2 Win model?
A premium account system that would have some advantages over the free one, costumes, an account chest, xp bonus and all that shit that we always live with in another games?

I would pay for something like this! And my friends won't have to and would still be able to play with me!
I could accept even a paying method to recover dead characters!
The major problem with this system is that you're probably going to pay to play alone.

This topic is to centralize the discussion of a new business model for the game, let us here discuss an alternative for the current Hafen' monetization model.

What do you think of my idea? Do you like the way that is now? Or even Buy2Play?
LadyApollo

Re: New monetization model suggestion.

Postby Cavi587 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:40 am

Then people will be bitchin that the game is p2w, just the same as they are bitchin that it is p2p right now. I would suggest one time purchase (15-20 dollars) and a cosmetic items shop.
Cavi587

Postby Kubius » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:43 am

Cavi587 wrote:Then people will be bitchin that the game is p2w, just the same as they are bitchin that it is p2p right now. I would suggest one time purchase (15-20 dollars) and a cosmetic items shop.

Cosmetics only work for games like TF2/LoL/DotA because you run into other players that won't permadeath you the second they see you instead of admiring your sick outfit.
Damonkaninchen: rest in peace. Betrayed and attacked.
Kubius

Postby Farn » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:16 am

Cavi587 wrote:Then people will be bitchin that the game is p2w, just the same as they are bitchin that it is p2p right now. I would suggest one time purchase (15-20 dollars) and a cosmetic items shop.

This is the option that could be acceptable. Hell, I could pay 50€ for this game if they only asked for it once. P2P? Not touching it with a meter long stick.
Farn

Postby LadyApollo » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:01 am

But if he advantage isn't extremely abusive, people will continue playing and see the premium account as an option and a investment something they like.
Yes, the bitching will continue, but in a much smaller scale. Being unable to play is the main problem with the current model.

Kubius wrote:

Cosmetics only work for games like TF2/LoL/DotA because you run into other players that won't permadeath you the second they see you instead of admiring your sick outfit.

Yeah, one way to make this works is o do something Path of Exile does.
Both PoE and HnH have permadeath, but in PoE there is an account stash just for cosmetic items, and you can recover cosmetic items back from hell.

Farn wrote:

This is the option that could be acceptable. Hell, I could pay 50€ for this game if they only asked for it once. P2P? Not touching it with a meter long stick.

I too see this as a option, but to me this has a flaw, new players.
This game has a difficult curve that is a little bit unforgiving and in my honest opinion, I find it difficult to see a group of new players buying the game without know what they are getting exactly.

Maybe with a free period of one week, and after that ask for the player to buy the game, but without any game time refill bullshit, it would work.

With a free week they could take a good taste of what the game truly is, without feeling that the game is trying to force them to buy the game.
The idea is to leave the player with a feeling of wanting more of it instead of giving him just half spoon of the cake.
LadyApollo

Postby Granger » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:34 am

Cavi587 wrote:I would suggest one time purchase (15-20 dollars) and a cosmetic items shop.

That is not doable since it is an online game. The server costs money on a regular basis and onetime 12-20 dollars can't sustain that.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby draktok » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:37 am

Granger wrote:
Cavi587 wrote:I would suggest one time purchase (15-20 dollars) and a cosmetic items shop.

That is not doable since it is an online game. The server costs money on a regular basis and onetime 12-20 dollars can't sustain that.

Based on the fact there is hundreds of games with online servers , this simply isn't true. We can take a game such as insurgency - which has a pay once model, and they host 40~ servers themselves and they haven't shut down. Natural selection2, the same. Monaco. I mean i can keep naming games. Servers are not so expensive that you couldn't afford them for more than months at a time. I pay to host a 64 player server for the popular game ARK. How much do you think it costs me? Thousands of dollars? It's simply not true. I can afford it for a very long time making 15$ an hour. To say that it's unsustainable is simply blasphemy.
draktok

Postby mattchu » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:42 am

draktok wrote:Based on the fact there is hundreds of games with online servers , this simply isn't true. We can take a game such as insurgency - which has a pay once model, and they host 40~ servers themselves and they haven't shut down. Natural selection2, the same. Monaco. I mean i can keep naming games. Servers are not so expensive that you couldn't afford them for more than months at a time. I pay to host a 64 player server for the popular game ARK. How much do you think it costs me? Thousands of dollars? It's simply not true. I can afford it for a very long time making 15$ an hour. To say that it's unsustainable is simply blasphemy.

Yes, and you have a single server that hosts 64 players, not a server cluster. If your server goes down (server dies, you can't afford to pay the fees anymore, etc), dozens of others are hosted by other players that other players can join. You're not consistently working to add more content to the game without getting paid. It is so, so much more complex than that.
mattchu

Postby venatorvenator » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:45 am

Forum ads and in-game ads.

Could be a 10-second screen during login process in the client. Could also be crafting recipes sponsored by some company. It's not as bad as one'd think. We don't even have to use those recipes in the game, but devs would still be paid for it.

Mods could we keep this thread free of useless complaint posts? There's already lots of those in other places.
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby LadyApollo » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:08 am

mattchu wrote:Yes, and you have a single server that hosts 64 players, not a server cluster. If your server goes down (server dies, you can't afford to pay the fees anymore, etc), dozens of others are hosted by other players that other players can join. You're not consistently working to add more content to the game without getting paid. It is so, so much more complex than that.

That's true, they're not only trying to sustain the game outgoing, but also trying to get some profit from it, so they can spend more of their time in the game' development. With a limited userbase that HnH has, a onetime wave won't sustain it, a monthly will be better, again, with this small community, they need to be a little more transparent with their plans.

venatorvenator wrote:Forum ads and in-game ads.

Could be a 10-second screen during login process in the client. Could also be crafting recipes sponsored by some company. It's not as bad as one'd think. We don't even have to use those recipes in the game, but devs would still be paid for it.

Mods could we keep this thread free of useless complaint posts? There's already lots of those in other places.

400 players a day won't do it
LadyApollo

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas