Reactions to store reactions

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Reactions to store reactions

Postby loftar » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:51 am

The Store and payments in general wasn't really that big a deal for me, so getting all these reactions came a bit out of the blue for me. The game itself overshadowed it largely in my mind. In hindsight, I can of course see that it seems like a big deal, but I would've at least expected it to go relatively silent for 48 hours. :)

It was to be expected, of course, that many would be alienated from our starting to require payment for something that has previously been free. While that saddens me a bit, and while it was fun to be able to provide Haven for free, I'm sure it goes without saying that that's not really an alternative. I too have bills to pay, after all, and Haven development does require too much effort and attention to be able to do "on the side" of another job. It kinda is what it is.

That being said, of course, does not mean that there cannot be reasonable objections stated to the specific model of payment we have instituted. There may be a case to be made that prices are too high, that free time is too sparse or anything else, but if that is so, it is (despite the self-righteous assertions to the contrary that some make) not a priori obvious, and it is too early for me to tell yet.

Perhaps we should have posted about it earlier, but then again, the vitriol that is consistently unleashed on the forums at every slightly controversial statement we make has taught us to shut up until we have something firm. Also, I think that 48 hours of free play time is a generously advance statement already. :)

Our horizon of planning has never been on the immediate next hour or day anyway. We'll see how it unfolds in the coming months and take it from there.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Re: Reactions to store reactions

Postby Oddity » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:52 am

loftar wrote:There may be a case to be made that prices are too high, that free time is too sparse

I believe so.

Anyway gl hf dd
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby Kiara » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:55 am

Is "buy to play" out of the question? im sure some people would pay for permanent access. i know i would.
Kiara

Postby Cayur » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:55 am

Kiara wrote:Is "buy to play" out of the question? im sure some people would pay for permanent access. i know i would.

This exactly
Cayur

Postby Amanda44 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:58 am

Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Redlaw » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:59 am

The paying and getting free perks is on the right track. I could list models like this of other games ect... that work. Both I am playing as I type this. But they use different ways to incite free players to get the VIP treatment. But I would also haft to explain how they work over all. Which aint easy with out going into more depth then I feel atm.
Redlaw

Postby julian12it » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:01 am

Cayur wrote:
Kiara wrote:Is "buy to play" out of the question? im sure some people would pay for permanent access. i know i would.

This exactly
julian12it

Postby Ninijutsu » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:03 am

I think the free option and verify account option are quite off. I mean, 24 hours of gameplay a month is like 45 minutes per day of gameplay - that's not something I think anybody would pay for. As far as I see it, the only option is a full subscription (which I think is reasonably priced, but on the higher end of the spectrum for sure) or game time (which, due to its tradeable nature, is probably reasonably priced as well).

Now, I would be totally willing to pay 10 dollars a month for this game IF it's an improvement over the old Haven. I would (barely) not pay 10 dollars a month for old haven - I think I'd pay a maximum of 6. It was an amazing game, but there's other games which are free or essentially free.

Anyway, with all the discussion before this day about how much we wanted a cosmetics shop, I was surprised to see an actual subscription model. I really truly think you guys would make AT LEAST the same amount (if not more) of money if you just sold cool hats and hairstyles and whatnot like Path of Exile does.

A slightly offtopic ending note: the fact that I can't play with my friends is a complete dealbreaker. I really love you guys and your work, always have, but if I have never enjoyed hermitting and I am not willing to entertain the possibility of teaming with strangers. Maybe that's just me, though.
Of another era.
Ninijutsu

Postby Bodomfreak » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:05 am

I am down to pay for your work, but not to pay mothly. I buy my games the old fashioned way normally. That's a hard copy with case and art. Normally $60 at a time. I just want to pay for the game and be done with the transaction.
A lost mage
Bodomfreak

Postby julian12it » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:08 am

I'm honestly okay with paying 20-60$ for the game.
julian12it

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas