Why the new P2P system is essentially worthless for devs

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Why the new P2P system is essentially worthless for devs

Postby shubla » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:19 am

How can you judge p2p system after game has been live for less than 12 hours?
Month or two we will see results how many players left, how much it generates money, etc.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby dank_memes » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:28 am

shubla wrote:How can you judge p2p system after game has been live for less than 12 hours?
Month or two we will see results how many players left, how much it generates money, etc.

You can't. The most you can do is make educated guesses.

But even with how lenient I've been (20% of players end up subbing fulltime, servers cost literally nothing to host, everybody can afford the subscription, etc.), we're looking at an immense gap to bridge just for Jorb and Loftar to start supporting themselves. Even with the pop numbers people posted here (600 regulars rather than 200 seems credible), they're not even close to turning up a profit compared to working literally any other job they could find.

And this is for the most optimistic scenario. You can't guess what will happen in six months, but it's statistically likely to be worse than that.
dank_memes

Postby TeckXKnight » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:36 am

dank_memes wrote:600 regulars rather than 200 seems credible

I'd quote the relevant posts but the old forum is being super buggy and almost everything from 2011-2015 is gone. The summation of it was that loftar stated that roughly 20x the active unique number players online maintained accounts and activity. ~100 people online at a time is what you see when the game is, essentially, dead after years of inactivity and/or excessive lag. Your results are assuming that the devs go completely inactive again immediately and the server continues to dwindle for 2 years.
TeckXKnight

Postby painhertz » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:39 am

halorocks22 wrote:
Saxony4 wrote:
halorocks22 wrote:not true, in my country money is very weak and i cannot afford game :(

:?:

is wrong, i live in soviet russia

So you somehow magically live in the Soviet Union either in 1990 or before? Please explain your time bubble.....
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby CTheRain » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:39 am

dank_memes wrote:A lot of lower-class people can't afford to spend $100/yr on a single videogame when struggling to manage a budget while barely avoiding going in the red, even in the US. This says nothing of people in other countries :(

If you struggle to afford $10 a month while living in the US you shouldn't be playing games. My god people get themselves in a fucking rut by eating out, buying expensive shit they don't need, charging on credit cards knowing they can't pay back on them, getting a mortgage so expensive they have to scavenge to get by and just mindless spending. Even when I was making minimum wage at McDonalds and paying for my rent, car insurance, and all the basic needs shit I was able to have at least $100 A MONTH to save to play WoW and buy some shit $60 on my 360 in the past. About other countries, I have no idea but complaining about $10 in the US is pathetic as fuck.
We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.
CTheRain

Postby painhertz » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:41 am

CTheRain wrote:
dank_memes wrote:A lot of lower-class people can't afford to spend $100/yr on a single videogame when struggling to manage a budget while barely avoiding going in the red, even in the US. This says nothing of people in other countries :(

If you struggle to afford $10 a month while living in the US you shouldn't be playing games. My god people get themselves in a fucking rut by eating out, buying expensive shit they don't need, charging on credit cards knowing they can't pay back on them, getting a mortgage so expensive they have to scavenge to get by and just mindless spending. Even when I was making minimum wage at McDonalds and paying for my rent, car insurance, and all the basic needs shit I was able to have at least $100 A MONTH to save to play WoW and buy some shit $60 on my 360 in the past. About other countries, I have no idea but complaining about $10 in the US is pathetic as fuck.

You can give plasma once a month and get $25.00....

(And help save lives)
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby halorocks22 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:43 am

CTheRain wrote:

It's really not that simple. Some people are genuinely put into bad situations and this doesn't mean that they shouldn't be allowed access to entertainment.
halorocks22

Postby jtpitner » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:44 am

painhertz wrote:
CTheRain wrote:

You can give plasma once a month and get $25.00....

(And help save lives)

Yo where do they pay for plasma I live in Georgia and been doing blood/plasma for free for years.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
jtpitner

Postby Amethys » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:02 am

dank_memes wrote:The problem is that there is no indication whatsoever that the game will grow significantly in the future - something it would need to do to become a sustainable source of income for the devs.

Even doubling, tripling, or quadrupling the pop numbers with the excessively optimistic estimates I posted above doesn't bring the devs close to making bank with this game. The most likely outcome, however, will be that the pop numbers will tank as many people are being put off by the switch over to freemium/p2p. Also, I don't know if you're including bots in these numbers, but keep in mind a lot of Ruskies/BRs/etc won't be able to afford a subscription.

will you do same calculations for us from wurm online.
Amethys

Postby dank_memes » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:23 am

Amethys wrote:will you do same calculations for us from wurm online.

I just went to give Wurm's servers a quick look and found just slightly over 500 players online. Keep in mind this is at 4:20 AM EST, in the dead middle of the night, on what would be a perfectly ordinary night for the server.

I don't know how many devs work on Wurm at a time, but I think it'd be safe to say the game has a much larger playerbase than H&H does.

Edit: There's six.
dank_memes

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas