Why the new P2P system is essentially worthless for devs

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Why the new P2P system is essentially worthless for devs

Postby Kimparo » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:06 pm

I personally don’t agree with you. You’re not giving the large group of us who can and will pay for this game a proper number. Hell, today alone there are still around 750 people playing. Yes, we’re still in the ‘free time’ area, but in 2 more days I’m betting that it’ll only drop 100-300 people. Even more so, the number of people, like myself, that WILL pay for this game in the future when we can (I’d pay for it now but this fucking toaster oven of a computer doesn’t have a graphics card that supports the version of OpenGL required for this game now). Hell, I’m still thinking about just buying the ability to play W7 again.

However, I do not agree with a few other things.

I don’t agree with the lack of information upon the matter of P2P. THOUGH I’m not sure who to blame for that. A few links were apparently (I only KNOW and SAW one) spread about the monetization being a thing during the hype during the large chat room during the time the Hafen countdown timer was nearing the final hour…which sparked some small talks that were quickly and completely drowned by the hype.

I also don’t 100% agree with the current model, but, I 100% think they are on the right track. It can very easily be changed up to help a lot of people still play the game, pay for the game easier, and still turn a profit. (I’m looking at you, Subscription DAYS instead of TIME.)

The extreme hype for the new game was unavoidable unless they had told us literally nothing. Not even a release date. But then we would have people bitching about them not telling us a release date and monetizing it, so we’d be right back at square one.

There’s also the problem that for some people, the conversation rate is far too much for them to play this game now, and there’s very little the Devs can do about that other than change up the Free and Verified account times.
All in all, I see issues on both sides here. The Devs have a few things to work out with how their new P2P system works, as well as maybe prices (that’s a small maybe). The community also needs to calm down, and it will, over the next few weeks. Until then, many of us are going to be far too aggravated to so much as think properly about the mater, and many others are going to be going out of their way to talk the game into the ground.
Kimparo

Re: Why the new P2P system is essentially worthless for devs

Postby DeathToSuperman » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:12 pm

Kimparo wrote:I personally don’t agree with you. You’re not giving the large group of us who can and will pay for this game a proper number. Hell, today alone there are still around 750 people playing. Yes, we’re still in the ‘free time’ area, but in 2 more days I’m betting that it’ll only drop 100-300 people. Even more so, the number of people, like myself, that WILL pay for this game in the future when we can (I’d pay for it now but this fucking toaster oven of a computer doesn’t have a graphics card that supports the version of OpenGL required for this game now). Hell, I’m still thinking about just buying the ability to play W7 again.

However, I do not agree with a few other things.

I don’t agree with the lack of information upon the matter of P2P. THOUGH I’m not sure who to blame for that. A few links were apparently (I only KNOW and SAW one) spread about the monetization being a thing during the hype during the large chat room during the time the Hafen countdown timer was nearing the final hour…which sparked some small talks that were quickly and completely drowned by the hype.

I also don’t 100% agree with the current model, but, I 100% think they are on the right track. It can very easily be changed up to help a lot of people still play the game, pay for the game easier, and still turn a profit. (I’m looking at you, Subscription DAYS instead of TIME.)

The extreme hype for the new game was unavoidable unless they had told us literally nothing. Not even a release date. But then we would have people bitching about them not telling us a release date and monetizing it, so we’d be right back at square one.

There’s also the problem that for some people, the conversation rate is far too much for them to play this game now, and there’s very little the Devs can do about that other than change up the Free and Verified account times.
All in all, I see issues on both sides here. The Devs have a few things to work out with how their new P2P system works, as well as maybe prices (that’s a small maybe). The community also needs to calm down, and it will, over the next few weeks. Until then, many of us are going to be far too aggravated to so much as think properly about the mater, and many others are going to be going out of their way to talk the game into the ground.

I think it's a pretty safe bet based on nationalities that we will see numbers drop in Central Europe / Russia by about 80-85 percent, and in the US and West Europe by about 50-60 percent. Pricing issues have been laid out.
DeathToSuperman

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas