Account Verification Seems Redundant

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Account Verification Seems Redundant

Postby DDDsDD999 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:34 pm

I'm not exactly sure what the point behind this payment option is. Every part of the option seems to do a little, but nothing seems to have any direction.

Is it supposed to extend the "trial" period?
For trial time, we'll ignore the legacy haven access, and time/month perk as we'll assume you've decided you like the game after a month.

Comparing the initial play time to the least efficient subscription (a month), is a $15 to $10 cost. You get 72 hours of the initial time, plus 24 hours/month. 72 hours in one month is 2.4 hours/day. Provided you play >2.4 hours/day in the first month, the least cost efficient subscription is cheaper, more effective, and you don't even have to manage play-time. I feel 2.4 hours/day is pretty low for starting to play. Setting up a base, exploring the land, and actively gathering curios and food seems to be much more time-demanding than the later stages of the game.

Is it supposed to provide a sustainable playtime?
For sustainable play, we'll ignore legacy haven, and the initial play time as we'll assume you used that time to establish yourself.

24 hours/month refilled would equal 48 minutes of play-time per day. In legacy haven, repairs and daily chores alone would take that much time, leaving no time to do anything extra. I feel this fact alone leaves sustainable playtime with account verification as fantasy.

Is it supposed to provide a platform for legacy haven?
For this we'll ignore initial play time and time/month as those only affect hafen.

There's many flaws with the legacy haven.

1. How many accounts did you have in legacy haven? 1 for gates, 1 for farming, 1 for foraging, 1 as a main? How much money would you have to pay to log on to the accounts you care about?
2. The description literally says "For as long as it lives." The world is liable to be wiped at any time, and for many reasons.
3. There's no forum/support for legacy haven. this shows village relations and such are acknowledged by the devs to be completely dead in legacy haven.
4. The world is liable to be abandoned for the above reasons.

For these reasons, verifying your account for legacy haven exclusively would be done by the greatest of nostalgists.

Is it supposed to be for this hat?
First item I equipped was a Spruce Cap, why would I pay $15 for one?Image

-------------------------------------
In short: There seems to be a lot of directions the account verification wants to go, but it doesn't go very much into any of them.

My solution: I feel a $30 account verification that gave 60 hours/month would work well. This would allow for some method of sustainability for a one-time purchase, offering the purchase a direction.

I personally would enjoy higher cost options with more hours/month, which you can upgrade to if you feel you need more time. $50 for 96 hours/month; 3.2 hours/day is all I'd want.

I feel very passionately that supporting a one-time payment option that offers sustainability would greatly improve the P2P experience.
DDDsDD999

Re: Account Verification Seems Redundant

Postby DeathToSuperman » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:36 pm

The fact that it costs money makes me wonder what happens to unverified accounts over time now.
DeathToSuperman

Postby shubla » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:37 pm

Whole p2p thing would work if they increased verification gametime, a lot. Problem is that then it would change to one time purchase :roll:
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby DeathToSuperman » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:44 pm

shubla wrote:Whole p2p thing would work if they increased verification gametime, a lot. Problem is that then it would change to one time purchase :roll:

And that is a problem how, exactly?
DeathToSuperman

Postby simimi » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:53 pm

I suppose its for key alts and so on, just pay one time for your alt if he dont log a lot, like key alt.
Or make a fighter toon, take this one time pay option and just log to feed curios.
Once he his ready to fight, take the pay/month option.
simimi

Postby DDDsDD999 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:03 pm

simimi wrote:I suppose its for key alts and so on, just pay one time for your alt if he dont log a lot, like key alt.
Or make a fighter toon, take this one time pay option and just log to feed curios.

Can pretty much do this already. You already have 12 hr/month, 24 minutes/day. Stockpiling the time seems like it can work pretty well.
DDDsDD999

Postby DeathToSuperman » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:04 pm

simimi wrote:I suppose its for key alts and so on, just pay one time for your alt if he dont log a lot, like key alt.

Fifteen dollars for a gatekeeper? EA would be proud!
DeathToSuperman

Postby TheG4MER14 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:50 pm

I agree with this post completely, 24 hours monthly is a ridiculously small amount of time and not at all worth the price. If they would just double (or even triple :?) the verified account times (48 hours initial and 48 hours monthly) the verification would actually be a worthwhile purchase and something I think people would be willing to pay for
"I have a bad sleeping problem... its called Haven and Hearth."
TheG4MER14

Postby Óðinn » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:53 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:

Can pretty much do this already. You already have 12 hr/month, 24 minutes/day. Stockpiling the time seems like it can work pretty well.

It doesn't stockpile. You have 1 pool with 12 hours. If it reaches the max, the overflow time is not added.
Óðinn

Postby jorb » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:54 pm

That isn't a sprucecap.

I agree that we've probably made the time constraints too conservative.

There is certainly a case to be made for some sort of forum support for Legacy.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Return to Critique & Ideas