How is anyone supposed to find anything ever?

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

How is anyone supposed to find anything ever?

Postby MooCow » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:21 am

This thread is not indented to be a complaint about the inability to find people who are partied at a distance.

I am am trying to ask a legitimate question of how anybody is actually supposed to find anything ever. Without resorting to external mapping programs, is there actually any way of finding some place without wondering randomly for hours? In the past we could use parties, or teleport to villages. but, those ways have been removed. Does anybody have any idea of what was added to the game to replace these mechanics?

Has the in game mapping system been upgraded to the point where it is not a complete waste of time?

Are we, the players, supposed to build roads everywhere?

Will there be some late game system to locate villages or people?

Did Jorb and loftar just expect somebody to build a client that will map the world for everyone?

Being able to locate BOTH people AND PLACES has been critical for a lot of late game interactions. If we are only able to find villages how the vigilantes find the poor noobs begging for justice on the forums? I know for a lot of people the QQ stories on the forums are the best part of the game.

Being a lost little hearthing all by yourself is fun in the beginning, but how can people even possible trade or ask for any kind of help in the current system?
MooCow

Re: How is anyone supposed to find anything ever?

Postby TeckXKnight » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:39 am

Most players just partied together and located each other via party arrows near the start zone. There was lots of mapping as well. This system is inherently flawed though and the devs have recognized this and likely will be fixing it soon(tm).
TeckXKnight

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:16 am

MooCow wrote:Are we, the players, supposed to build roads everywhere?

HOLY SHIT.... WHAT A FUCKING CONCEPT.

You mean, use the tools they gave us in game to establish forms of transportation to those places we would see easy to visit?

Seriously, who the fuck would think of that? I mean, shit, it's right there, in black and white, and available from nearly the beginning.

Yes... Play the damned game, build civilization and roads and infrastructure. That's part of what all this is, ya know.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Danno » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:17 pm

Pay a high monthly subscription fee on an alpha stage game so that you can spend more time watching your guy collect rocks for 5 minutes, spend another 5 minutes paving a tiny strip of road, then repeat the cycle hoping you don't get eaten by a bear or fellow player. Yes, people will definitely want to do this instead of build a place to call home or do literally any other task in the game. Creating a road is the game's equivalent to slave labour and you have to do it for hours to make a road that has any significance.
RIP
Danno

Postby simimi » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:05 pm

Not enough stones.
simimi

Postby sabinati » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:43 pm

dirt roads are a thing
sabinati

Postby Sevenless » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:56 pm

simimi wrote:

Not enough stones.

Ever go mining? You can produce thousands of stone pretty easily. Just no one bothered saving them before.

Since roads have a quick teleport thing I'm not overly certain what the benefit of dirting or paving them is though.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Return to Critique & Ideas