Rethinking horses?

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Rethinking horses?

Postby Poger » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:14 pm

I've bumped into posts talking about horses, where Jorb said, that he is afraid about them being too op, and is forced to limit their usage by means like horsee stamina. While horses find already much uses and due to the riding are farmed extensivly by riding them into enclosed area, putting this last freakin basket-building to block them and mass-murder with arrows rain.

Well, how about changing horses in general into more "realistic" way? Personally i feel, that horses should be ridable only after taming them. Or even better, be ridable only after taming them, and then training properly with another skill, that you need to obtain. While such tamed horse could be use to plow a field, or pull something.
Then it open ways for different horses, and tons of equipment for horses (saddle -> huge stamina boost, he?), fixing goddamn shooting on horseback, adding even more stuff (maybe turning off catching rabbits while on horse? How do you catch goddamn rabbit while riding a horse, especially without saddle? That's some indian-style masterskills here). Or maybe even some fighting from the horseback. Obviously after buying another skill, and another training, as normal horse just gets batshit scared when the fight starts, and runs away randomly carrying player, or even withour player.
I mean, we don't care that player gets significant boost due to having a horse, if this boost demands significant sacrifice in his time, Learning Points, and effort, amiright?

I feel like horses have huge possibilities behind them and it would be sad to leave them just as they are.

By the way, some random talk to have fun. Anyone who casually rides horses (you know, just those horses you make circles in the backyard with), one day expierence sudden event. His horse slows down significantly, don't want to react to commands and just takes his time to... poo. Yea, i mean seriously. Can you believe face of some guy in front of monitor, when his hafen-horse just starts taking a shit while riding on road? I want a photo.
Poger

Re: Rethinking horses?

Postby ErdTod » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:18 pm

+1, especially for deuce dropping horse
ErdTod

Postby Lupich » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:21 pm

No.

Because the only realistic outcome of tamed horses is the already most powerful players, now having armed cavalry.
At least now newbies have a chance, I've already outrun a few shady looking characters with a horse while out gathering.

What you're suggesting is taking something readily accessible and limiting its use to the people who usually cause the most damage.

No, no, no. Nope. No. No thanks.

P.S. - Horses can pull carts already, and I believe Jorb hinted at them pulling a plow as well but I can't remember where.
Lupich

Postby Poger » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:57 pm

Are you sure you wouldn't outrun them also without a horse. Well, probably it would a lot harder, alright.
Idea of being chased by shady guys on horses made me smile. Probably annoying, yup. But, yeez. Can you imagine this adrenaline in your veins, when you try to run away and save your precious character? Freakin amazing. I wouldn't mind dying from such holywood-like event. Well, i guess dying is someway part of the game. Personally, even tho such a feature would be boost to those, who already are powerful I still like it. Maybe it's just the case of me thinking, that cavalry charges are epic. Well, they are.
True, some people may be annoyed over a thing, that demands time and effort, and is not easily achievable. But i don't think that this idea would give a plague of horse-riding-randompeoplekilling-assholes. It also gives whole cities the possibility, to prepare cavalry units to patrol around in case of danger. All we need is just more weapons, and we may wage a fucking war (do only i have a feeling, that strict, crude medieval-like world direction fits haven?).
I don't believe that all most powerful players are assholes. Maybe there will be some knights on white horses around?

Ah, yes. I know horses can pull carts. I was just suggesting, that it would be all that tamed, non-saddle-taught horse would be able to do. Pulling shit. I mean, no literally.
Poger

Postby Lupich » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:38 am

Poger wrote:Pulling shit. I mean, no literally.

Shit idea is good though. Wild Horse Scat could be a curiosity (lol), or to fertilize (raise Q) of soil!
Lupich

Postby jorb » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

So your solution to my fear of tamed horses is to introduce tamed horses?

I realize that taming horses would be neat, but it is precisely the permanent access to horses that scares me. Wildhorses at least have a limited duration.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Archiplex » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:45 am

jorb wrote:So your solution to my fear of tamed horses is to introduce tamed horses?

I realize that taming horses would be neat, but it is precisely the permanent access to horses that scares me. Wildhorses at least have a limited duration.

Perhaps major weaknesses in horses? For example, they have a chance to enter fear if there is fighting nearby and will kick off the rider?

Currently you can aggro a horse that's mounted and it will beat down the rider, not sure if intended but hilarious.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby APXEOLOG » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:03 am

jorb wrote:I realize that taming horses would be neat, but it is precisely the permanent access to horses that scares me. Wildhorses at least have a limited duration.

Make them feedable with carrot to restore duration and it will be ok. Or even special stable building where they will regen energy over time. People will be able to not 'hunt' new horse every hour, but they will still have limited radius where they can use horses and not loose them.
W10 Meme Plot | W9 Mantis Garden | W8 Core | W7 Ofir | W6 the City of Dis | W5 Vitterstad | W4 A.D. | W3 Mirniy
jorb wrote:All your characters will be deleted, and I will level every village any one of them were ever members of.
APXEOLOG

Postby jorb » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:05 am

Intended, and that is indeed one of the drawbacks we have considered. I want there to be high risk/reward to them.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby yozzik » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:11 am

jorb wrote:So your solution to my fear of tamed horses is to introduce tamed horses?

Face your fear and beat it, you're a nord, not nerd!

I can tame and breed horses, why not?
No chance to run away from attackers? Never had a chance as they might have more stamina and will punch every time they can outrun me.
Slightly larger areas can be crossed? Fields with horses are quite common, clover becomes litter after 250 Perc&Explore, i can stay mounted almost forever.

I can tame and breed horses, why yes?
Peacefull aspect - horse breeding takes time and resources, keeps players bonded to game + quality grinding.
Fighting aspect - more variety with mounted combat moves and counter-mounted special moves (spear probably) and as mentioned before risk of falling from the horse and taking heavy damage.
Severin, gurbibal master, drunken hunter, the thief of Constantinopol, he who never died of man`s hand, son of Yozz, grandson of Yozzik.

P.S. More nice hats please!
yozzik

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas