Wretched gore

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Wretched gore

Postby InfernoI » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:16 am

Permanent wounds are a real thing guys. I'm not saying this game is realistic but look at our soldiers after they come back from war. Shit happens. I just hope that Jorbtar make it kinda hard to get permanent wounds, like being hit for over 50-100 grievous damage in a single hit and surviving or something. Basically narrow it down to things like bears, small chance of boar, and small chance of deer, as well as players.
InfernoI

Postby fablewings » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:30 am

I tried to fight a bear to learn from it.
Turns out it auto-retaliated my attack and still hit me for more.

Hence the reason I got 47 wretched gore.

Already died twice. Learning curve is OP.

Romp Stomp on boars is strong if you didn't already figure out his moves.

Now I just need to wait until my fep bars are 200% to get boar baloney.
With a chance it might increase my con. even the slighest.
15 times to get back at where my health bar used to be.

Just sharing my exp. No real opinion.
fablewings

Postby Uriel_Ventris » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:47 am

venatorvenator wrote:
Uriel_Ventris wrote:Honestly, this mechanic can leave a hunt focused character useless permanently. It is also true that some serious wounds is necessary to prevent the hunting mechanics be too easy.

momosan wrote:I can only imagine lategame. Crippled people in their wheelchairs swinging their swords at each other.

There is a reason why in many cultures hunters and fighters were always held in high esteem.

You can't expect the glory and renown of killing beasts and enemies without the risks of severe injury and a lifetime of being a cripple.

The question is whether this is a realistic survival game, or if it is a pvp/pve with survival flavors. It bothers me so much that people treat this as a mobile game where you must be constantly rewarded and where convenience is the rule.

If wounds are an issue one can always stick to farming and crafting, which are perfectly good ways of enjoying the game. If hunting is your way of playing you have to deal with its consequences. For fuck's sake why don't you roleplay this shit as you should and say that "he was once a hunter, but early in his career he made the unwise decision of challenging a grizzly bear. He barely escaped the encounter with his life, and still today he carries the marks of the beast's fury on his legs. His spear has been long since abandoned for a cane, and the hunter now spends his days tending the village's farms and crafting leather armors for the younger generation of hunters. His flame still burns fierce, however, and he patiently waits for the day when his wounds will be completely healed. Then, on that day, he will set out on a journey to find and challenge the bear one last time."

Let aside real life, this is a game and mechanics must have a minimum gameplay. In real life a hunter with a serious injury die if not treated. In real life you dont learn moves squashing ants. In real life you die and game over. You can not start again with another character.

I'm not saying that hunting should be an easy ride. But for this, better make animals kill again. You go hunt, you never comes back, end.More realistic than go back with your guts under the arm.
Uriel_Ventris

Postby fablewings » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:49 am

Uriel_Ventris wrote:
venatorvenator wrote:
Uriel_Ventris wrote:Honestly, this mechanic can leave a hunt focused character useless permanently. It is also true that some serious wounds is necessary to prevent the hunting mechanics be too easy.

momosan wrote:I can only imagine lategame. Crippled people in their wheelchairs swinging their swords at each other.

There is a reason why in many cultures hunters and fighters were always held in high esteem.

You can't expect the glory and renown of killing beasts and enemies without the risks of severe injury and a lifetime of being a cripple.

The question is whether this is a realistic survival game, or if it is a pvp/pve with survival flavors. It bothers me so much that people treat this as a mobile game where you must be constantly rewarded and where convenience is the rule.

If wounds are an issue one can always stick to farming and crafting, which are perfectly good ways of enjoying the game. If hunting is your way of playing you have to deal with its consequences. For fuck's sake why don't you roleplay this shit as you should and say that "he was once a hunter, but early in his career he made the unwise decision of challenging a grizzly bear. He barely escaped the encounter with his life, and still today he carries the marks of the beast's fury on his legs. His spear has been long since abandoned for a cane, and the hunter now spends his days tending the village's farms and crafting leather armors for the younger generation of hunters. His flame still burns fierce, however, and he patiently waits for the day when his wounds will be completely healed. Then, on that day, he will set out on a journey to find and challenge the bear one last time."

Let aside real life, this is a game and mechanics must have a minimum gameplay. In real life a hunter with a serious injury die if not treated. In real life you dont learn moves squashing ants. In real life you die and game over. You can not start again with another character.

I'm not saying that hunting should be an easy ride. But for this, better make animals kill again. You go hunt, you never comes back, end.More realistic than go back with your guts under the arm.

Ez ride.

Walk up to the deer. Shoot the side of the deer with an arrow q15.
GG.
fablewings

Postby Vigilance » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:35 am

venatorvenator wrote:For fuck's sake why don't you roleplay this shit as you should and say that "he was once a hunter, but early in his career he made the unwise decision of challenging a grizzly bear. He barely escaped the encounter with his life, and still today he carries the marks of the beast's fury on his legs. His spear has been long since abandoned for a cane, and the hunter now spends his days tending the village's farms and crafting leather armors for the younger generation of hunters. His flame still burns fierce, however, and he patiently waits for the day when his wounds will be completely healed. Then, on that day, he will set out on a journey to find and challenge the bear one last time."

Fucking LARPer.

That's not fun for at least 80% of the population.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby Lojka » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:14 am

i got wretched gore from fox i i tryed to trick, but failed
so she hit me one more time while i was knoced out in water

and i'm ok with that. This wound is much better, that death

and i don't collect tears in bucket, because i need this bucket to collect milk and get cheese done ! (i'm far from it to be honest)
Lojka

Postby VDZ » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:11 am

jorb wrote:I am, however, in no rush to simply reintroduce the old regime where HHP loss was something to be simply scoffed at, which we are perilously close to at present.

That's because wounds heal too fast right now; pretty much any wound you get can be healed in a day. Back when Nicks & Knacks took ages to heal, half of my HHP was gone semi-permanently and I had to continue hunting as a severely crippled character. This was a wound that would heal by itself, but the slowness of the healing process made it cripple me nonetheless and made me avoid taking Nicks & Knacks damage.

As such, I think very slowly healing wounds (think weeks) should be enough to make people think twice before taking risks that could lead to them, and people receiving them will definitely know they fucked up.
VDZ

Postby Uriel_Ventris » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:58 pm

fablewings wrote:---

Ez ride.

Walk up to the deer. Shoot the side of the deer with an arrow q15.
GG.

You cant live forever eating deer dog xD
Uriel_Ventris

Postby mamotromico » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:22 pm

How common are these kinds of wounds? Because I've been koed at least 30 times in this character, with at least 7 being from bears, and never got one.
mamotromico

Postby Hervarth » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:26 pm

Thats because you're smart enough to respect animals and wear armor?
_Gunnar's alt
Hervarth

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas