[Suggestion] Walk speed hotkeys

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

[Suggestion] Walk speed hotkeys

Postby Gabula » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:15 pm

Currently the hotkey to change your characters running speed is Ctrl + R. This command causes your running speed to cycle one step forward (from walking to running for example), but also cycles back to a slower speed if no faster speed is available. This can cause problems, for example when in a pinch and forced to run, the player might spam the Ctrl + R command one time too many, causing his character to go into crawl speed instead of sprinting, a potentially fatal mistake.

My suggestion to solve this is to have two hotkeys, one for increasing your run speed by one step, and one for lowering it by one step. With this setup, a stressed player could spam the "go faster" hotkey to start sprinting, without fear of accidentally setting his speed to "crawl".
Gabula

Re: [Suggestion] Walk speed hotkeys

Postby Sevenless » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:18 pm

Already exists. Ctrl+R to increase, Ctrl+Shift+R to decrease, Shift+R to toggle straight to max speed.

Perhaps a better request would be to not let Ctrl+R wrap around?
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Hervarth » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:21 pm

Sevenless wrote:Perhaps a better request would be to not let Ctrl+R wrap around?

Good idea. I know people who died in the old world because of this :p
_Gunnar's alt
Hervarth

Postby Gabula » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:22 pm

Sevenless wrote:Already exists. Ctrl+R to increase, Ctrl+Shift+R to decrease, Shift+R to toggle straight to max speed.

Perhaps a better request would be to not let Ctrl+R wrap around?

Maybe it's just me, but Shift + R does nothing on my client.
Gabula

Postby RedFox » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:22 pm

Sevenless wrote:Perhaps a better request would be to not let Ctrl+R wrap around?

Seen as we already have hotkeys to go both directions anyways, I don't really see a lot of value in it wrapping around. I'd like to see this change personally.
RedFox

Postby Sevenless » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:27 pm

RedFox wrote:

Seen as we already have hotkeys to go both directions anyways, I don't really see a lot of value in it wrapping around. I'd like to see this change personally.

I personally can't think of a reason you'd want to switch from sprint to crawl either. Two key presses to get back to walk either direction.

Errr... maybe shift+r is amber client... wups?
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Sever » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:39 pm

Sevenless wrote:
RedFox wrote:

I personally can't think of a reason you'd want to switch from sprint to crawl either. Two key presses to get back to walk either direction.

Errr... maybe shift+r is amber client... wups?

Yeah, Amber client ties Shift+Q/W/E/R to crawl, walk, run and sprint.

Ctrl+shift+R is a fairly awkward hotkey, and I've personally never gone to crawl on purpose. I would like to see something that only toggles between walk and run, and something else that forces sprint, on any terrain (except water, thickets if they do/will exist), with appropriate stamina drain and, if necessary, possibility of injury; that is, more of a panic button.
Come back two hours earlier.
Sever

Postby jorb » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:19 am

Sevenless wrote:Already exists. Ctrl+R to increase, Ctrl+Shift+R to decrease, Shift+R to toggle straight to max speed.

Not in the default client, but I don't hate that.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Return to Critique & Ideas