Aggro range or hearth timer needs to be increased

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Aggro range or hearth timer needs to be increased

Postby Potjeh » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:07 pm

And burning all those manhours on protecting sprucecaps rather than pumping your stats will help you how?
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby bmjclark » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:55 pm

I used to protect noobs in world 6 just to kill the people who would try to kill them because they had decent enough gear that i could sell it in apples for oranges for pearls. I made a decent business out of it. Admittedly it's not as productive as just making things yourself or foraging yourself but it was interesting and lots of fun. I did kill a lot of random people for no reason too but i normally avoided killing complete and total noobs/hermits with nothing of value.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Delamore » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:06 pm

lol at people saying the autohearthers are going to be the hermits and scrubs, everyone worth a damn who has scents is going to have autohearth when they're not looking for a fight so they can gather while being able to escape trackers.
Basically the small chance you had of getting a criminal while they're doing day to day tasks (If it's not already an alt who never does those) is gone because you'd be dumb not to have auto hearth.
Delamore

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:46 pm

Meaning that this is seriously something, for murderers and victims alike, that needs to be addressed.

The 'Captcha' idea is actually kind of appealing in this case, or just an extended hearth time. (I see no reason it should be less than 30 seconds/1 minute)
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Avu » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:51 pm

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:
Sevenless wrote:Unless the game significantly adds a cost for random murder, like an intensely not trivial one,

There can be, there should be.

It's up to the community to provide it, to create the force that deals with situations like these and makes them seem like a bad idea.

People seem to forget that HnH is intended to see the growth of communities and civilization, and one of the backbones of civilization is law. But law is not a real thing, it is a perceptual thing from the culture that creates it.

You want safety and justice? Be the Peacekeeper and Consequence you want to see in the world.

THAT'S the key to this, not game mechanics... Social ones.

You are extremely inexperienced if you think that is viable with the mechanics as they are. It's been tried before the biggest fucking town in the world with best tech and activity and we still couldn't put a dent into the wrongdoers. The world is too big and crime is too easy.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby Granger » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:09 pm

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:The 'Captcha' idea is actually kind of appealing in this case, or just an extended hearth time. (I see no reason it should be less than 30 seconds/1 minute)
If it is applied to attacking too: then fine with me.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby bmjclark » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:16 pm

Make stealth decrease the range you can be aggro'd at and perception increase the range you can aggro people ¦]
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Lojka » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:16 pm

and why don't we have "Red" nicknames for bloody murderers like in... Ultima Online ?
Lojka

Postby Potjeh » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:44 pm

bmjclark wrote:Make stealth decrease the range you can be aggro'd at and perception increase the range you can aggro people ¦]

Should work out really well for the sprucehats.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby bmjclark » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:47 pm

I was joking.
bmjclark

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas