Aggro range or hearth timer needs to be increased

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Aggro range or hearth timer needs to be increased

Postby Potjeh » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:52 pm

But yeah, increasing hearth timer based on active scents is actually not a bad idea.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Longshanks87 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:43 pm

Im happy that player killers dont get an easy ride on aggroing someone. once that has happened there are some out there who will simpl not quit util your demise..
please leave it as it is.
its only people who actively want to cause harm that are nagging for a revamp.
entertain the idea and we might as well all go pay murderers game time not to kill us.
Shanked..
Longshanks87

Postby Leafstab » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:46 pm

Potjeh wrote:But yeah, increasing hearth timer based on active scents is actually not a bad idea.

What about people who gain scents from defending their Village? if you fight raiders and now it takes you a min to hearth that kinda sucks
Leafstab

Postby bmjclark » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:00 pm

Imo, the world is big enough at this point that you can completely avoid contact if that's what you want. Walk 10 hours in 1 direction over a few days, you'll never see a player again, effectively the same result as having auto hearth on. I do kind of sympathize with the people who flat out can't defend themselves, but the possibility of other players killing me is what excited me about the game when i first started. The fact that at any moment i could be killed if people could catch me in my boat or on foot or wherever. In world 4 i beat someone up and stole their stuff from their house, when i left the house, i was surrounded by 3 people who almost killed me but i managed to get to my boat and lose them. It was both the most terrifying experience i've had in a game and the most exciting. None of it would of happened if auto hearth was a thing.

Completely taking the risk out of player contact is a huge mistake imo. Even more so, allowing player contact to be non existent because people won't even get a chance to talk to eachother before their clients auto hearth. Considering you can currently choose exactly how much player interaction you'll have by how far out you walk, i don't see a reason to limit aggro range as it is right now.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Sever » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:25 pm

Delamore wrote:lol at people saying the autohearthers are going to be the hermits and scrubs, everyone worth a damn who has scents is going to have autohearth when they're not looking for a fight so they can gather while being able to escape trackers.
Basically the small chance you had of getting a criminal while they're doing day to day tasks (If it's not already an alt who never does those) is gone because you'd be dumb not to have auto hearth.

Go ahead and throw out that bathwater, nevermind that the baby's still in there.

bmjclark wrote:boo hoo all of my pvp experiences have been fair because i play aggressively and because playing for pvp is superior i'll make sure to point out how much fun i had while ignoring that being randomly murdered before you have a chance to prepare or stat up isn't a thing

also i think i'll make up some shit about being able to walk far away and never see people even though random ass people wander the whole damn map and settle wherever they see another person because lol hermit neighbors but fuck that people who use scripts are ruining the game while i complain about how my side of the script war can't defeat it

Oh yeah?

Come back two hours earlier.
Sever

Postby bmjclark » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:29 pm

lol. You think i haven't been beaten down by random murderers too? I literally died 8 times in 2 months in world 4 to a combination of players and animals. I died multiple times in world 5 to players, and once in world 6. Dying is a part of the game. All my encounters havent been fair, and they shouldn't be. If you just want to never interact with people take my prior advice and walk far out of the center of the world. I know someone who walked ~8-10 hours and settled, he hasnt seen a single player since. Don't settle in the starting grid then wonder why people kill you.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Sever » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:44 pm

bmjclark wrote:lol. You think i haven't been beaten down by random murderers too? I literally died 8 times in 2 months in world 4 to a combination of players and animals. I died multiple times in world 5 to players, and once in world 6. Dying is a part of the game. All my encounters havent been fair, and they shouldn't be. If you just want to never interact with people take my prior advice and walk far out of the center of the world. I know someone who walked ~8-10 hours and settled, he hasnt seen a single player since. Don't settle in the starting grid then wonder why people kill you.

Okay, so you're just a dick. Also you don't read. I am more than 8 hours out by walking (in a non-cardinal direction, too) and still there have been a few random hermits. Your friend's anecdotal evidence is invalid.

This is an old debate, and I'm surprised that the term carebear isn't flying around anymore. There does seem to be a general shift toward safety. It's concerning to think that dying to players would become completely avoidable, but solving it by condemning lower level players to certain death is a terrible way to do it.
Come back two hours earlier.
Sever

Postby bmjclark » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:17 pm

And your anecdotal evidence is valid? :P

Getting aggro'd isn't a guaranteed death if you have any kind of experience, but i agree that new players will be vulnerable to it. The problem is always going to be that any advantage that you give to low level players will be abused by high level players. It's a hard balance to strike. Do my forager alts deserve 100% safety?
bmjclark

Postby MurderAlt » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:42 pm

Just use a horse, they can beat the autohearth if you're on the higher speeds. I kinda figured that's why they were even in game tbh, to beat all the "auto-this/that" bullshit.
Hustlinguistics
Oddgorod Kill Squad

"Beware of such friendly neighbors"
MurderAlt

Postby 22nd_ChuckNorris » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 pm

what if hearthing leaves a scent that lasts for 5 minutes on the ground (longer in inventory ofc) that will allow tracking of perpetrator or hearth fire only?
22nd_ChuckNorris

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas