Aggro range or hearth timer needs to be increased

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Aggro range or hearth timer needs to be increased

Postby Granger » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:22 am

Unbalanced already in such a situation is that the attacker is prepared while the victim is not (most likely not even using a client with Auto-Heaeth).

So please Jorb, don't cater for situations that are irrelevant to users of the default client.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby rye130 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:26 am

So we should reward unprepared people using a custom client and punish prepared attacks who could potentially be using the default client? If you are unprepared for being attacked then dying is a fair outcome.

The argument here shouldn't be about balance, its simply that auto-hearth is an unfun, uninteresting mechanic. Changes to fix it changing the balance of combat situations should be addressed with other changes to the game to give the defender tools to be prepared for the potential of being attacked while alone outside.
rye130

Postby Avu » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:33 am

rye130 wrote:Let me drop caltrops as I'm fleeing that slows down anything (animal or person) who steps on them for a short period of time.

Come on you know people that are not geared for pvp at all times will not carry crap with the already so limited inventory just in the off chance someone will murder them while a pvp char looking for trouble will be equiped to the gills in them. Same way people carrying 9 buckets of water before. Balance needs to be skewed in favour of defense to account for logistics and the reality of this being a game and not real life.

In fact I think murder is too easy like extremely fucking easy, easier than getting all your fucking trees to sprout easy. I wouldn't mind if murder was relegated to hearth killing. Allow everything else battery to the point of knockout, theft, minor vandalism (we talked about this before) but if you really want to kill someone either scents summoning or only allowed against people that have crime debufs on. This will help both the players not to quit and the raiders to keep coming back for more fun.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby Bowshot125 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:34 am

I love how all the murderers are on this one lol.
Bowshot125

Postby rye130 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:41 am

Avu wrote:Come on you know people that are not geared for pvp at all times will not carry crap with the already so limited inventory just in the off chance someone will murder them while a pvp char looking for trouble will be equiped to the gills in them. Same way people carrying 9 buckets of water before. Balance needs to be skewed in favour of defense to account for logistics and the reality of this being a game and not real life.

Yeah, that's fine skew it in their favour. Being able to freely hearth away from a dangerous situation is skewing, its breaking the fucking game.

Avu wrote:In fact I think murder is too easy like extremely fucking easy, easier than getting all your fucking trees to sprout easy. I wouldn't mind if murder was relegated to hearth killing. Allow everything else battery to the point of knockout, theft, minor vandalism (we talked about this before) but if you really want to kill someone either scents summoning or only allowed against people that have crime debufs on. This will help both the players not to quit and the raiders to keep coming back for more fun.

So take the death out of permadeath basically? So if someone wants to be a dick and stand infront of my gates, commiting no crimes, leaving no scents, I shouldn't be able to kill them? Pretty sure jorb/loftar have stated discussed many times how scents and crimes and what not are necessary because every action can potentially be aggressive, regardless of if it leaves scent. Limiting murder to only people with scents/crime debuffs doesn't work.

Bowshot125 wrote:I love how all the murderers are on this one lol.

Arguing to buff the defenseless noobs and get rid of shitty auto hearth.
rye130

Postby bmjclark » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:44 am

Granger wrote:Unbalanced already in such a situation is that the attacker is prepared while the victim is not (most likely not even using a client with Auto-Heaeth).

So please Jorb, don't cater for situations that are irrelevant to users of the default client.

So what you're saying is that the only way to die should be by using the default client. Seems like a good solution, i can see why your expertise is used in inner party. This is like saying you shouldn't fix bug jumps because it only caters to situations where people exploit the game. Pretty much the dumbest fucking thing i've seen said on these forums, and it comes from a mod/vet of the game.
Last edited by bmjclark on Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Tonkyhonk » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:50 am

rye130 wrote:So take the death out of permadeath basically? So if someone wants to be a dick and stand infront of my gates, commiting no crimes, leaving no scents, I shouldn't be able to kill them? Pretty sure jorb/loftar have stated discussed many times how scents and crimes and what not are necessary because every action can potentially be aggressive, regardless of if it leaves scent. Limiting murder to only people with scents/crime debuffs doesn't work.

it doesnt have to limit murder to only people with scents/crime debuffs, as we still seem to have alt issues. but it would probably be nice to see, for example, the aggro range greatly increased for those with crime debuffs, especially when you have the corresponding scents, or something along that line. but those are probably not using auto-hearth anyways. i dont know what exactly, but making ranging easier or encouraging ranging is worth considering a bit more than just random killing.
Tonkyhonk

Postby shubla » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:51 am

PvP should be something else than running around starter area with autoaggro on killing everyone on sight :roll:
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby bmjclark » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:52 am

shubla wrote:PvP should be something else than running around starter area with autoaggro on killing everyone on sight :roll:

PvP should exist and it won't with autohearth.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Granger » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:53 am

@bmjclark: there are other ways to read my statement, nevertheless a nice way telling me i'm an idiot. Have a nice weekend.

Back on topic, here's one possible solution to think about:
Fuck aggro range, let us aggro people even from our kin list.
Just one little drawback: for every tile range between you and the victim you instantly take one SHP.

Result for Auto-Aggro on while visiting a village: most likely instant KO, let's call that effect 'Overwhelmed Shock'.

This would solve the complaint (can't aggro before target is hearthed away) while diminishing the actual exploit (since auto'ing aggro will most likely render you unable to fight).
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas