Aggro range or hearth timer needs to be increased

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Aggro range or hearth timer needs to be increased

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:54 am

or we solve it by getting rid of hearthing entirely.

I would die so.. so much.

But still, get rid of all forms of teleportation, problem solved.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby rye130 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:02 am

Granger wrote:while diminishing the actual exploit (since auto'ing aggro will most likely render you unable to fight

I'm confused what you mean by "the actual exploit". The exploit we are discussing is auto-hearthing to avoid any combat-interactions between players. Auto-aggroing I don't believe is much of an issue because with aggro range being shorter than before, its almost completely a non-issue because manually issuing aggro is exactly the same, unlike in previous iterations of the game.

Also, even once you are aggroed by another player, its not like your fate is sealed. You can fight, run, juke, call for help, plead for your life, or any other number of things.
rye130

Postby Potjeh » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:11 am

Granger wrote:@bmjclark: there are other ways to read my statement, nevertheless a nice way telling me i'm an idiot. Have a nice weekend.

Back on topic, here's one possible solution to think about:
Fuck aggro range, let us aggro people even from our kin list.
Just one little drawback: for every tile range between you and the victim you instantly take one SHP.

Result for Auto-Aggro on while visiting a village: most likely instant KO, let's call that effect 'Overwhelmed Shock'.

This would solve the complaint (can't aggro before target is hearthed away) while diminishing the actual exploit (since auto'ing aggro will most likely render you unable to fight).

Make that HHP, and a gauze-only wound. A separate gauze-only wound for every 5 points even.

Also, the rewarding preparedness argument is stupid. If you set out to go and gank people of course you'll be prepared *every single time*. If you go out to dig clay, or mine or whatever you're not going to be prepared because inventory slots are too valuable. So just say no to combat consumables of any kind, devs. The psychological preparedness difference alone already gives an enormous advantage to the attacker, and combined with the fact that the gankers come in teams and targets come in singles it's virtually insurmountable (in my 9 years of H&H I only recall one gank attempt getting turned around and the gank squad getting killed).
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Avu » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:17 am

rye130 wrote:I can't kill people waaaaa

It's not breaking the fucking game. I don't agree with auto hearth but in a world of auto agro wtf can one do. And if you feel it robs you of interaction have hearth teleport leave a 5 minute scent (will last much longer if picked) that points towards the guys hearth. Then you can go and pvp with them there on his own turf and it would be a risk the player will have to take. Do I reveal my base or try and run away.

If someone wants to be a dick and stand if front of your gates knock him out move his body into a claimed wall and wait for him to port or leave vandal scents. We're not living in a world of infnite alts anymore. They do require some time investement to dick with you which is pretty much always longer than the time it would take you to coral the alt. And no it's not removing death from permadeath we can still kill shitheads that go around leaving scents.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby jordancoles » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:19 am

>Leave scents
>Turn on autohearth
>AFK outside overnight and laugh to yourself the next morning when you see the rage post about how someone tracked you only to see you port away

Theft/Vandalism are unpunishable crimes if you have a wall, fun :)
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Zarxes » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:28 am

With streets/trails how they currently work it will be easy enough to gank unsuspecting people. Trails will be, once the locations of most bigger villages are uncovered, probably the #1 cause of death. This is also a game mechanic that was not there in this form in legacy.

So here its eaven easier to get people than it was before in legacy because you dont know where on the trail you will be ganked and the attackers can pick/prepare the spot unseen. If you do it right you might sit in a death box surrounded by enemies. Range will not be the issue here.

I dont see why you need to have it even easier to aggro random unsuspecting people by further increasing the aggro range.Trails are the most dangerous ways to travel and if you want to be a little safer you avoid them because you have at least a decent chance at getting away from a random encounter.
Zarxes

Postby Arcanist » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:45 am

I don't see the issue here, people who have committed crimes recently cannot hearth, so the only people who stand to be penalised here are innocents. If you want to kill someone, find their base and ram it. Power tripped 14 year olds wandering around killing casuals/newbies/unwilling participants has always been the way of HnH, but that doesn't really make for good gameplay.

PvP will still exist, probably 2/3 of the fights I've been in were where both parties were wanting to fight, for them neither would have hearthed away anyway.

I'm in support of only killing at someone's hearth (or within a range of it). So you have to actually break into someone's base to kill them :roll: . The exception should be if someone has recently comitted crimes themselves, then they are fair game.

Also this

Avu wrote:
rye130 wrote:I can't kill people waaaaa

And if you feel it robs you of interaction have hearth teleport leave a 5 minute scent (will last much longer if picked) that points towards the guys hearth.

The scent should be summonable.

So, it workd like this
See your victim
He teleports away OR you KO/loot him.
You take the scent, track him.
Break into his base.
Summon him to HF (whether he is online or not)
Kill him.
Arcanist

Postby Sever » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:58 am

Granger wrote:Back on topic, here's one possible solution to think about:
Fuck aggro range, let us aggro people even from our kin list.
Just one little drawback: for every tile range between you and the victim you instantly take one SHP.

Result for Auto-Aggro on while visiting a village: most likely instant KO, let's call that effect 'Overwhelmed Shock'.

This would solve the complaint (can't aggro before target is hearthed away) while diminishing the actual exploit (since auto'ing aggro will most likely render you unable to fight).

Some form of this would work. Honestly I think it should ramp up asymptotically to the edge of visible range, making auto-aggro from edge of view distance instant KO/death. It could be just a few points if you're 20 tiles away in my opinion.

I wrote this before I decided to read the thread, but I'd like to post it anyway as what will undoubtedly be seen as an inferior alternative.

-----------------------------------------------------

Increase aggro range, increase hearth timer, and remove player aggro preventing hearthing. If they can thwack or shoot me before I poof, cancel hearthing and then they can have me, but using it to control people is bullshit. This should be paired with some kind of penalty for traveling to hearth, but now hearthing means that if you run out of time they're on you, encouraging you to run away first. It is far more sensible in the face of automatic exploitative client mechanics than:

I can magically teleport away whenever I feel like it BUT NOT IF SOMEONE LOOKS AT ME FUNNY.

I don't use auto-hearth, I didn't even know it was available, but from the moment I first heard the term "auto-aggro" it made me want to say "fuck this game." The same goes for auto-hearth, or auto anything really.
Come back two hours earlier.
Sever

Postby bmjclark » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:05 am

I don't know why we're suddenly acting like ramming is actually a viable solution against anyone with even half a brain. It's just like old HnH, except now i'm vulnerable for 1 whole hour until i become unkillable again because my hearthfire and char is back in a vault/town with multiple layers of walls that i'll check for rams once in a while. Rams were a bad mechanic in old hnh and they're just as bad now.

Guess what, make a vault in the starting super grid and you could wipe out all the new players and fall back to your vault and AFK for an hour before you hearth home and no one can touch you again because next time your out foraging you can just auto hearth. In a game where the only realistic way you'll ever be hurt by another player is by being outside your walls, autohearth is game breaking.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Potjeh » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:19 am

Having auto-aggro beat auto-hearth is game-breaking in a worse way, though.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas