Aggro range or hearth timer needs to be increased

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Aggro range or hearth timer needs to be increased

Postby bmjclark » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:24 am

There's always a possibility to get away even if you're aggro'd. There's 0 possibility of ever dying with autohearth.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Astarisk » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:09 am

bmjclark wrote:There's always a possibility to get away even if you're aggro'd. There's 0 possibility of ever dying with autohearth.

Just pretty much said earlier in the thread it was still possible to hit the person sometimes, so its not a 0 possibility. Hell, horses are added into the game, maybe you should be more prepared? Increasing the agro range would be a shitty fix to a shitty problem. I'd rather that the possibility to lose agro is possible, as oppose to making it near impossible.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby bmjclark » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:12 am

It's possible if you enter the screen on sprint speed with no obstructions at all and are ready to aggro them. It's not possible if you enter on 3rd speed, so any forest terrain/swamp/water.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby RickyP602 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:29 am

you can totally aggro a dude if you're on a horse
RickyP602

Postby RickyP602 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:36 am

The real question here is what is the perfect balance. Should the attacker/ganker/griefer have a 100% chance to aggro a guy, and basically sentencing him to death, or should he have a 0% shot, or somewhere in between?

It seems to me that like others have said, you almost have to err on the side of the guy getting ganked. Under the right circumstances now you can catch a guy, if you have a horse, or if you are on sprintable terrain and really on your toes.

The solution is not to increase the range or decrease hearth time though, because then if you math it there is a 100% certainty on either side. If the attacker is using auto aggro and the defender is using autohearth there is a plain calculation that can be done. The problem is not with the mechanics, it's with the exploitation of third party scripts. What is the solution to that? I'm not sure.
RickyP602

Postby bmjclark » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:45 am

Again though, getting aggro'd is definitely not a 100% death sentence. The person running away has the advantage in a lot of ways because he can choose when he wants to engage the guy chasing him to fight him. He can lure him to his friends, he can lure him into traps, he can run back to his village and run inside (if people are on to let him in). All it takes is finding a boat on a lakeside to get away freely. I was chased many times in legacy and i survived more of the chases than i died in, many ended with killing multiple of the attackers by bringing them to friends or choosing good times to turn on one of them. In world 6 me and 1 other member of my village turned a 2v8 chase into 5+ kills on our side before back up even showed up because we chose to re engage after our pursuers made some mistakes. The fact is that the people chasing you run the same speed you do, and you get to make the decisions in the chase.
bmjclark

Postby RickyP602 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:49 am

bmjclark wrote:Again though, getting aggro'd is definitely not a 100% death sentence. The person running away has the advantage in a lot of ways because he can choose when he wants to engage the guy chasing him to fight him. He can lure him to his friends, he can lure him into traps, he can run back to his village and run inside (if people are on to let him in). All it takes is finding a boat on a lakeside to get away freely. I was chased many times in legacy and i survived more of the chases than i died in, many ended with killing multiple of the attackers by bringing them to friends or choosing good times to turn on one of them. In world 6 me and 1 other member of my village turned a 2v8 chase into 5+ kills on our side before back up even showed up because we chose to re engage after our pursuers made some mistakes. The fact is that the people chasing you run the same speed you do, and you get to make the decisions in the chase.

This very rarely happens, this is all conjecture without actual statistics, but I'd be willing to bet that over 90% of people ganked get killed. The attacker, like was previously stated, is prepared for the fight, the defender rarely is. Every single thing you stated is something that is iffy at best. With the implementation of the slave keys and how they work you can't even reliably get into your base without hearthing. You simply cannot give the attacker a 100% way to aggro his intended victim, and with the scripts involved it's a simple math problem. Like I said previously, scripts are the problem, not the mechanics.
RickyP602

Postby bmjclark » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:03 pm

Scripts are a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself. Devs can do something about the aggro range/hearth cast time, they can't do anything about people making scripts for the game.
bmjclark

Postby Avu » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:05 pm

They can but they won't. There is a difference.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby Lojka » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:19 pm

increase hearthing time for each scent you left (even trepassing)

so at least peacfull farmers won't be ganked
Lojka

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas