Server Downtime vs Criminals

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Server Downtime vs Criminals

Postby Astarisk » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:54 pm

Granger wrote:Aehm... No?

While it may be inconvenient to not be able to heath/logoff when a criminal is just done criminalizing the solution is simple:
don't leave scents.

Server stability will improve with every crash (since Loftar dosn't just restart it but removes the bug causing it), so the problem will lessen over time.

So, you want to punish people who just happen to leave scents? What if they left scents defending their base from other people? Or tracked down a known killer? The solution is not simple.

Scents are part of the game mechanics, and server crashes are an unintended outcome by the devs, they should at least have a fix to help out with this. We should not be in this thread telling others not to play a part of the game that's implemented. Rather, we should be giving ideas and critiques for a hopeful solution.

Also, factions with botting clients already have a pretty good way to get around this, its not hard to implement a client that will log in and hearth for you, considering previously there were clients that logged in and got curios for you.... Rather just make everyone's life a bit easier instead of a few.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby Delamore » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:52 pm

While it may be inconvenient to not be able to heath/logoff when a criminal is just done criminalizing the solution is simple:
don't leave scents.

Server stability will improve with every crash (since Loftar dosn't just restart it but removes the bug causing it), so the problem will lessen over time.

Man I forgot that the solution to the drowning from crash bug was to not use boats, and that the solution to wall hop bugs was to not have walls.
What other game issues can be solved by completely avoiding certain game mechanics?
Delamore

Postby Sevenless » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:56 pm

Delamore wrote:

don't leave scents.

Man I forgot that the solution to the drowning from crash bug was to not use boats, and that the solution to wall hop bugs was to not have walls.
What other bugs can be solved by completely avoiding certain game mechanics?

This is significantly more complicated though as far as fixes go. Those other bugs only influenced you. These bugs involve more characters than just yourself.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Delamore » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:58 pm

Sevenless wrote:
Delamore wrote:

don't leave scents.

What other bugs can be solved by completely avoiding certain game mechanics?

This is significantly more complicated though as far as fixes go. Those other bugs only influenced you. These bugs involve more characters than just yourself.

Currently custom clients have solved this issue by automatically connecting when the server goes up and hearthing directly.
Delamore

Postby rye130 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:07 pm

don't leave scents.

Classic Granger, biased as fuck against anyone who leaves a scent ever because we should all just stand around holding hands and sucking each others dicks while praising the developers for being able to find and fix every bug ever and never ever have another server crash ever, ever again.

If you are in combat when the server goes down, don't allowing hearthing as an option. If you aren't, then hearthing away from a potential combat situation is totally fair and balanced anyways.
rye130

Postby venatorvenator » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:09 pm

Astarisk wrote:

don't leave scents.

So, you want to punish people who just happen to leave scents?

Yes.

What if they left scents defending their base from other people?

That's still my choice and I wouldn't complain about that if I had made it because I knew the risks of doing so. I could have ran away and logged off or whatever.
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby jorb » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:03 pm

rye130 wrote:we should all just stand around holding hands and sucking each others dicks while praising the developers for being able to find and fix every bug ever and never ever have another server crash ever, ever again.

Sounds about right.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Tonkyhonk » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:09 pm

cmon, people, think about it well before you criticize.

- being able to punish in-game criminals by in-game means - good as a game design
- auto-punishing in-game criminals by unintended accident like server crash - NOT good as a game design

if something happens, i would like my "white knight" to feel safe enough to help me out, not getting killed by a bad game design.

im not sure if the suggestion stated in op is good or not, though, as i dont really understand that part of the mechanics well. but i myself have left some scents before too, trying to help a friend who couldnt give me a permission after the claim owner died. i generally refuse to use that feature and im missing out the part of the game willingly. but at least i understand game crimes are not always about being scums. and players who play raiders know these systems better, so i see nothing wrong with them making their suggestions on the part of the game they are well-experienced.

New Brodgar had recently went ahead taking revenge against Bob Dole. should they get punished too if a server crash happened?! youll never know, perhaps the enemy's another friend may appear without scents by the time the server is back up and you may have to go back to work and cant stay till its up...

as for server improving, hopefully it will get better and better, but as long as devs are doing frequent updates, there will always be some chances of crash bugs. i hope devs dont get offended when players suggest something for fail-safe situations.
Tonkyhonk

Postby venatorvenator » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:28 pm

Tonkyhonk wrote:cmon, people, think about it well before you criticize.

- being able to punish in-game criminals by in-game means - good as a game design
- auto-punishing in-game criminals by unintended accident like server crash - NOT good as a game design

It's not only about that. It's about using limited dev time on a feature that not only already received a lot of attention from them for the game, but also one that will never please all pvp'ers or even come close to ever being complete. It's not perfect, but the game needs more global content, not more microfixes like these, which affect only a group of players. For the moment it's fine as it is in my opinion.
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby Tonkyhonk » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:41 pm

venatorvenator wrote:It's not only about that. It's about using limited dev time on a feature that not only already received a lot of attention from them for the game, but also one that will never please all pvp'ers or even come close to ever being complete. It's not perfect, but the game needs more global content, not more microfixes like these, which affect only a group of players. For the moment it's fine as it is in my opinion.

players who are willing to miss out a part of the game are usually not interested in it, or always think about whatever works better for them alone. when it gets harder for raiders, it also gets harder for the opponents to fight against them and makes the game for "scums grief newbs only". i dont want to see this game turn into that. which is why seige system is tough. everyone wants to be safe. but when everyone is too safe, the new or casual players will be the only ones who have to cry. this is about game balance, not about giving criminal parts too much attentions.

that said, a button for sending criminals back home doesnt sound like the best option to me if im allowed to have a say without knowing enough. i just think letting them hearth back home is a bit too much to ask. maybe it is better to ask for some micromanagement on loftars side that only loftar can touch and let those characters actually log out, should the server crashes.
Tonkyhonk

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas