A Hobo's Ideas. (Composed after a litre of Walnut Spirits.)

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

A Hobo's Ideas. (Composed after a litre of Walnut Spirits.)

Postby morrogoth » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:20 am

I decided to pen my ideas from my wanderings.

Travel:

Road signs should be able to link if there is a different one in the radius of the smaller sign. it would make it far easier to build a network. Or atleast make it like the HF and be able to be walked through, because sometimes, it acts like its own roadblock.

Bridges. Just to cross those small ravines instead of walking around them or jumping down them.

Terraforming:

Leveling an area should also have a chance of unearthing a random boulder of something, or a curio.

Noticed plowed land spreads. Why?

Leveling should also produce some sort of food. like potatoes or other root vegetables that are not harvested or planted.

Textiles:

Historically, dying came before leatherworking, so those unusable berries could be made into dyes for clothing.

Also linens could make backpacks too, and with the sewing skill, you can make a tougher linen using three or more linen, to make a more durable item.

Healing:

As cool as the healing system is (forcing you to address your problems in creative ways.) Along with farming, man had discovered
healing herbs and such. Also Linen should also make bandages, which work like gauze. I know, I know, the whole balance thing. But seriously,
its harder to make linen than to shear muofs.

Farming:

On top of a beehive, how about dung, ash, or rubbish, like entrails or bone meal to help the plants grow faster and boost q.

Distillery:

Wine is good, beer is better, but making liquors that do different things would be cool, allowing for exploration to discover a new liquor that could also do something for you.

Wildlife:

Its been said, tame foxes. yes and no. Tamed foxes honestly would probably be useful hunting.

Tame a bear.

Berries for an alternative taming method.

Food:

Smokehouse for fish and meats. Smoking meats would raise fep, but would add a risk of getting sick.

Jerky.

We have clay jars, how about a primitive preservation, that over time slowly raises fep's or stat gain.

Vehicles:

Horses should be able to be pull carts, wagons, and plows.

Boars can be tamed enough to pull carts too.

Armor:

Metal studding to raise durability

Mining:

Having the ability to dig a cave hole, along with making a minehole.

Misc:

Water or wind powered milling.

Corn as a crop.

Cabbage too.

Tamable rabbits, having a rabbit kennel for breeding, like a chicken coop.

cotton as a crop, alternative to wool, etc.

Peppers as a food and crop.

Stone walls, like brick, but cheaper, less durable, but still slightly better than palisade.

Keep up the awesome work, Jorb and Loftar!
morrogoth

Re: A Hobo's Ideas. (Composed after a litre of Walnut Spirit

Postby Vigilance » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:57 am

Suggestion grab bag. That's kind of a no-no here.

A lot of those are super common suggestions. Jorb even uses bridges as an example in the rules about suggestions.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby TeckXKnight » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:33 am

Travel:

They already can, roadsigns can only support 1 route though so you have to use a milestone.

Bridges.

Not possible with the current engine build. Might be changed someday, not any time soon.

Terraforming:

You can get an experience from it but, eh, any curio you got would have to be awful given how easy it is to afk dig en masse. Why would you want a boulder? There are already cellars for that.

It's a terrain type. Terrain spreads.

Leveling should also produce some sort of food. like potatoes or other root vegetables that are not harvested or planted.

Leveling generally auto-transfers anything you dig up so that'd mean you'd have to more or less manually dig or lower land and that's a huge grind to get some seeds.

Historically, dying came before leatherworking, so those unusable berries could be made into dyes for clothing.

Suggested already, it'd be a nice thing. Jorb would like it at some point.

As cool as the healing system is (forcing you to address your problems in creative ways.) Along with farming, man had discovered
healing herbs and such. Also Linen should also make bandages, which work like gauze. I know, I know, the whole balance thing. But seriously,

Why? It's already so easy to get healing items if you're even slightly developed.

Farming

Compost heaps have been suggested.

Distillery:

Suggested already.

Wildlife:

Suggested already.

Need to elaborate more. If your choices are to hand an auroch some berries or fight it to the death 6 times, why would anyone fight it ever?

Food:

More ways to prep food would be nice. Jerky has already been suggested. Preservation will only matter if more foods meaningfully decay beyond what's currently implemented (Decay from sizzling to normal).

Vehicles:

Why use a pig to pull anything? Just use a bull.

Armor:

Cool.

Mining:

Only if they cost the same to make.

Suggested already.

Corn as a crop.

Suggested a lot, doesn't fit the setting.

Cabbage too.

Suggested already.

Rabbit hutches have been suggested a lot.

Doesn't fit the setting.

Doesn't fit the setting.

Stone walls, like brick, but cheaper, less durable, but still slightly better than palisade.

Suggested already.
TeckXKnight

Postby morrogoth » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:31 pm

TeckXKnight wrote:
Travel:

They already can, roadsigns can only support 1 route though so you have to use a milestone.

Bridges.

Not possible with the current engine build. Might be changed someday, not any time soon.

Terraforming:

You can get an experience from it but, eh, any curio you got would have to be awful given how easy it is to afk dig en masse. Why would you want a boulder? There are already cellars for that.

It's a terrain type. Terrain spreads.

Leveling generally auto-transfers anything you dig up so that'd mean you'd have to more or less manually dig or lower land and that's a huge grind to get some seeds.

Suggested already, it'd be a nice thing. Jorb would like it at some point.

Why? It's already so easy to get healing items if you're even slightly developed.

Farming

Compost heaps have been suggested.

Distillery:

Suggested already.

Wildlife:

Suggested already.

Need to elaborate more. If your choices are to hand an auroch some berries or fight it to the death 6 times, why would anyone fight it ever?

Food:

More ways to prep food would be nice. Jerky has already been suggested. Preservation will only matter if more foods meaningfully decay beyond what's currently implemented (Decay from sizzling to normal).

Vehicles:

Why use a pig to pull anything? Just use a bull.

Armor:

Cool.

Mining:

Only if they cost the same to make.

Suggested already.

Corn as a crop.

Suggested a lot, doesn't fit the setting.

Cabbage too.

Suggested already.

Rabbit hutches have been suggested a lot.

Doesn't fit the setting.

Doesn't fit the setting.

Suggested already.

Poultices require rabbit hide or any hide ever. but bandages require only wool. Just asking for linen to help fill the hole for people who spend hours hunting down moufs to sheer.

The berry for taming idea has all the risks of normal taming, but without you needing to kerpow animals. you need to keep it feed a certain berry for a duration to keep it subdued, but if you fail to feed it, it auto aggros and rampages.

They had cabbage and potatoes in northeastern europe.

The digging for boulders I should have elaborated on: people whine about not finding the rare surface ore boulders, like iron, etc. well leveling would give a very small chance of you finding a casserite or granite or the myriad of other boulders.

The cave making would cost the same, save for metal, but x2 more wood and stone.

boar carts! c'mon you know it sounds cool.
morrogoth

Return to Critique & Ideas