Taming is not fun

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Taming is not fun

Postby VDZ » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:28 am

So I killed an aurochs in the last stage of taming today. It engaged me in a battle to the death; I used only purely defensive moves (no damage-dealing ones) and Punch, and after every Punch I checked the icon to see if it had surrendered yet. It never surrendered, all the way until the final Punch killed it. (I have only 48 STR, and I was not wearing any STR- or damage-boosting gear.)

And now I would have to do it all over again; find an aurochs and bring it home, and then for another week I have to go outside and check every now and then to see if I can fight it yet, then have a slow but boring fight (can't damage it too fast or I'll risk killing it) every now and then until a week later I'll probably kill it again.

As with steelmaking, the process consists almost entirely of waiting for a very long time, requiring some tedious interaction every now and then, and if you're unlucky it just fails and you have to do it all over again. I just can't consider mechanics like these fun. Success should be dependent on invested effort and skill, not invested time and luck. As it is now, I have zero motivation to start taming again because I simply have better (read: actually fun) things to do with my time, a choice which will probably screw me out of some parts of the game.
VDZ

Re: Taming is not fun

Postby Avu » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:06 am

You peace the animal from the start so it autodeagros when it is done. Even so I guess it might be possible to kill before if you use too strong attacks. I think cows have 250 hp. Might want to vary your method try a chop or a different damage attack to get closer in range to it. Personally I think this system is 10 times better than the old bugged one. Once you know how to do it it's quite reliable.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby VDZ » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:14 am

Avu wrote:You peace the animal from the start so it autodeagros when it is done. Even so I guess it might be possible to kill before if you use too strong attacks. I think cows have 250 hp. Might want to vary your method try a chop or a different damage attack to get closer in range to it. Personally I think this system is 10 times better than the old bugged one. Once you know how to do it it's quite reliable.

I used Punch, which is pretty much the weakest attack there is.

Even so, the problem is not so much with the aurochs dying. The problem lies with the fact that the entire process takes a fucking week and has a lot of tedium - doing the same thing over and over again, with no variety or challenge.
VDZ

Postby jorb » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:41 am

I'm not fond of it either, and I'd love a better minigame.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby EnderWiggin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:42 am

jorb wrote:I'm not fond of it either, and I'd love a better minigame.
How about rock-paper-scissors?
EnderWiggin

Postby jorb » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:51 am

A computerized implementation of RPS is only a random chance to win, though. I'm not sure that's better.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby Granger » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:56 am

jorb wrote:A computerized implementation of RPS is only a random chance to win, though.

Or not, depending on how evil the creators of the implementation are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVNnoOcohaU
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Maiden » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:31 am

The only thing worse than taming is actually trying to q up tamed animals. So far every baby has been objectively worse than the pure 10 newly tamed adults, not to mention how bullshit the quality percentages are to begin with
Maiden

Postby jorb » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:35 am

Maiden wrote:how bullshit the quality percentages are to begin with

Oh?

jorb

Postby Maiden » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:49 am

It's just more stats to rise, and the more stats added, the more hard it is to rise them. If it was just something that went up with each generation, at least shit cows would be worth it to let live, but no, they go down too
Maiden

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas