Pigs are useless

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Pigs are useless

Postby Maiden » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:17 am

You cannot milk pigs. (Can understand this, even if pigs do produce milk, pig's milk isn't really used by humans)
Slaughtering piglets does not net you a suckling maw. (Just... why?)

Their meat is the same as a boar, which means that the glacial speed of tamed animal q in hafen means it will be months, maybe a year, before it's worth it to use a pig instead of going out and hunting a minimum q boar.

Right now, all that I see ahead of me with my pigs is managing to barely match wild animal q when the world gets reset
Maiden

Re: Pigs are useless

Postby TeckXKnight » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:34 am

I agree and disagree with you on various points. I agree that animal quality and growth is silly right now. It's capped by food quality, which isn't capped by anything, so over time they'll eventually become higher quality than everything else. The problem is that they start out at trash quality and, like you said, they end up capping out at roughly the quality of wild animals by the time the world gets nuked. I believe that outside factors should average their quality so that early on they can be raised in quality faster and later on they remain competitive but aren't overly dominant.

What I disagree with you on is their worth. Domesticated animals are pretty easy to farm in bulk, especially with the reduced food consumption they recently got. They don't take much attention or space and they essentially translate into a direct conversion of food resources from pregnancy to birth to adulthood. Junk crops become meat, bones, and intestines. This is a valuable asset if you don't want to go out hunting constantly. If they're anything like legacy and give increased quantities as they go through generations as well then they'll quickly become an insane source of food.
TeckXKnight

Postby Avu » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:37 am

Gonna kill myself later for this but
larper mode on/
maybe they don't have the maw thing because pigs don't have multi chamber stomach like cattle and sheep and other rumminant animals which are the ones that you can make rennet from
larper mode off/

Deer are ruminant animals though. Give us deer babies so we can kill them.
You can make different cheeses using grown animal stomach lining so can we have that?
There is also vegetable rennet and we already have nettles.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby Sarge » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:10 am

Maiden wrote:Their meat is the same as a boar, which means that the glacial speed of tamed animal q in hafen means it will be months, maybe a year, before it's worth it to use a pig instead of going out and hunting a minimum q boar.

This

Avu wrote:...Give us deer babies so we can kill them...

factnfiction101 wrote:^I agree with this guy.
Sarge

Postby linkfanpc » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:30 am

Avu wrote:...Give us deer babies so we can kill them...

Image[/quote]

Killing baby animals is just wrong, it would give nothing. As for that pic...i think im going to suffocate myself...cant stop laughing!C :lol:
Waiting for something to happen? Everything is going to be okay.
jorb wrote:Hitting a "Ghejejiiwlonk" with your "Umappawoozle" for eightyfifteen points of "Sharmakookel", simply makes no sense.

W7: Semi-Hermit
W8: Semi-Hermit
W9-13: Lawspeaker of villages of myself-4 people.

There's SOMETHING behind you.
linkfanpc

Postby sabinati » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:59 am

Maybe if there were some pork only sausage or at the very least you could substitute pork for boar like you could in legacy they would be worth it. At present they are pretty worthless though.
sabinati

Postby Karede » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:02 am

Beirwurst one day, I'm sure
Karede

Postby CloudJhi » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:39 am

TeckXKnight wrote: This is a valuable asset if you don't want to go out hunting constantly.

I lol'd

We always get to the point where there are so many animals in town that it hurts our fps far more than the rows of hearthfires present.
Unless wild animals slowly but surely start getting scarce, this is not going to be a problem.
W3 to W6 - Blockland. Special mentions: New Avalon, Tarn of Hotdog, Red October.
W7 - Elvenia, til we all got lazy.
W8 - Cult of R'lyeh, til the deeps called us back.
W9 - Tartarus, til death/wizards came for the land itself.
W10 - ???, ruined and forgotten.
CloudJhi

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:56 am

TeckXKnight wrote: like you said, they end up capping out at roughly the quality of wild animals by the time the world gets nuked.

It's worth noting that Jorb's ambition for this launch was to not reset the world again, as I understand it.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby TeckXKnight » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:02 am

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:It's worth noting that Jorb's ambition for this launch was to not reset the world again, as I understand it.

They'll have to to implement better world gen and compatibility breaking features though.
TeckXKnight

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas