Ancient Mining (Spalling)

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Ancient Mining (Spalling)

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:44 am

Softening rocks? Yespls, this shit is insane.
DDDsDD999

Postby theoddfielding » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:31 am

This is a really neat idea. I'd like to see more intuitive physical science in the game.
theoddfielding

Postby Leafstab » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:33 am

125 str average q14 pick caves "The wall is slightly too hard" +1 please make it possible Thanks!
Leafstab

Postby CloudJhi » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:35 am

I like the idea, but I'm mostly on the fence about it.
Probably would like it if it took a bit of time to weaken a wall, so as to discourage mass production with this method of mining for balance.
W3 to W6 - Blockland. Special mentions: New Avalon, Tarn of Hotdog, Red October.
W7 - Elvenia, til we all got lazy.
W8 - Cult of R'lyeh, til the deeps called us back.
W9 - Tartarus, til death/wizards came for the land itself.
W10 - ???, ruined and forgotten.
CloudJhi

Postby Garfy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:33 pm

I'm currently at 120 Str, pickaxe is 17/15/13 quality. Can barely mine on layer 2. Found some slightly better ore and waiting for boughs to make a better pickaxe (it'll be around 19/18/15). Still wont be able to mine much of layer 2.

Mining progress relies too much on RNG. And there is a lot more RNG now than there use to be. Took me 3 mineholes on layer 2 before I finally found a (low) quality node.

If Mining isn't fixed, no ones going to be going lower than layer 3. Walls are too hard and RNG is too extreme.
Garfy

Postby Sevenless » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:35 pm

People would get there in 2-3 months. But I agree that progression rate feels a little too slow.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Garfy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:35 pm

Sevenless wrote:People would get there in 2-3 months.

Only if they get lucky. You could make 20 mineholes to layer 2 and run into nothing but ql10 ore.

The problem is just too much RNG. You have to be lucky enough to find ore. Then you have to get lucky and hope you can mine it. Then you have to hope you're lucky enough to find a quality node, and quality comes in 3 varieties so you've got to be lucky enough to get either one or two qualities high, or to find all 3 qualities. That is 5 different factors involved in making progress with ore/metal quality.

In the old version, going lower guaranteed you some progress. Now it doesn't.

The only other option is to pump your Str like mad, but eventually you're going to either be eating entire bears for 1 str, or you're going to need cheese (and wouldn't you know it, cheese production has also been slowed down massively). I estimate with my current pickaxe (17/15/13) I'm going to need another 80-100 str to be able to even mine the softer parts of layer 3.
Garfy

Postby Jackard » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:39 pm

shittiest OP ive seen a while
Jackard

Postby Sevenless » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:43 pm

People would get there in that time not from ore finds, but from tree quality gain and overall increases strength.

Edit: Lower layers carry the benefit of better ore types, but that's RNG just like finding gold was in legacy I guess.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Garfy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:47 pm

Sevenless wrote:People would get there in that time not from ore finds, but from tree quality gain and overall increases strength.

Edit: Lower layers carry the benefit of better ore types, but that's RNG just like finding gold was in legacy I guess.

Tree quality is hilariously slow now as well, and heavily reliant on RNG. We've been planting tons of trees and it's not uncommon for them to lose quality compared to the trees we had before.

Better ore types are nice and all. But who cares if you're getting 1 or 5 bars of iron from a full furnace when that better ore is 10 times harder to mine and of the same quality anyway? Unless there is a new type of ore that produces a new type of metal, I cannot see anyone mining past layer 3 ever because by that point you have access to all types of metal and the effort required is just too much to justify it.
Garfy

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas