Ancient Mining (Spalling)

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Ancient Mining

Postby Kaios » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:19 pm

LadyV wrote:Using heat to fracture stone is an old one. However it has limitations. Some stones andmetals would be immune to it unless it was at a point to litterally melt it. And that would defeat your purpose.

shubla wrote:Lighting tons of campfires in small cave might not be the best idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wqxWC4OAK0

The reasoning behind adding such an implementation is simple, walls on the first level can go as high as 100+ in strength requirements, on the second level it's possible you will require upwards of 200 in certain places and I have no doubt this only goes higher the lower you go.

In addition to this, unless you've been quite lucky in your mining and have managed to retrieve some quality ore in order to create a decent quality pick, gear progress is also very slow in this regard which is a rather large hindrance.

If the strength requirements remain how they are currently without any possibility to ease the process even a little bit you will soon find that players will be doing all their mining on alts.
Kaios

Postby Sever » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:41 pm

sabinati wrote:
Sever wrote:
Hey Cajoes, your image is NOT self-explanatory.

it is if you mined in slaem

1. This is not Salem.
2. Salem makes me want to commit sudoku.
3. Tell me about slaem it sounds interesting.

I like the idea in this thread, but op is a *.
Come back two hours earlier.
Sever

Postby Vigilance » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:49 pm

fcuk slaem
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby Garfy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:35 pm

Kaios wrote:In addition to this, unless you've been quite lucky in your mining and have managed to retrieve some quality ore in order to create a decent quality pick, gear progress is also very slow in this regard which is a rather large hindrance.

This is an issue I've also ran into. I've mined all over the place, and found no ore above quality 10. It's gotten to the point where my Str is huge, but I cannot mine simply because I lack decent metal. (I have 113 str and a ql 15/15/12 pickaxe and there are still places on the first layer I cannot mine and I can only mine the very softest parts of layer 2)

Unless I either find better metal, or double my Str, I'm more or less screwed for mining any lower than layer 2.

Also saving up enough to build yet another mine hole only do discover it's more ql10 ore you can barely mine (if you even can) is the worst thing ever.

Also trees being absolutely retarded now, and having 3 different qualities makes it almost impossible to actually grind quality anymore without immense luck.
Garfy

Postby Gabula » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:13 pm

Garfy wrote:a lot of words

I think that we simply have to wait until there are good quality stone axes available. I am quite sure that the people/factions who have access to good quality metal will not be sharing it just yet.
Gabula

Postby Garfy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:19 pm

Gabula wrote:
Garfy wrote:a lot of words

I think that we simply have to wait until there are good quality stone axes available. I am quite sure that the people/factions who have access to good quality metal will not be sharing it just yet.

Good quality stone is reliant on the same things as good quality ore. Infact, if you have one, you almost certainly have the other.
Garfy

Re: Ancient Mining (Spalling)

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:31 pm

I think this as an addendum is a great idea. I think it should require a 'spalling fire' that has greater requirements than a camp fire. A simple camp fire isn't going to generate the levels of heat necessary to truly weaken the wall. But overall, this is a great addition, especially as a way to break through those walls you ALMOST can scratch.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Kaios » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:31 pm

Gabula wrote:I think that we simply have to wait until there are good quality stone axes available. I am quite sure that the people/factions who have access to good quality metal will not be sharing it just yet.

Not sure what you mean by that, if you're saying you could use a stone axe to create better quality branches for a pick you would be thwarted by the pick recipe requiring boughs.
Kaios

Postby LadyV » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:40 am

Kaios wrote:The reasoning behind adding such an implementation is simple, walls on the first level can go as high as 100+ in strength requirements, on the second level it's possible you will require upwards of 200 in certain places and I have no doubt this only goes higher the lower you go.

In addition to this, unless you've been quite lucky in your mining and have managed to retrieve some quality ore in order to create a decent quality pick, gear progress is also very slow in this regard which is a rather large hindrance.

If the strength requirements remain how they are currently without any possibility to ease the process even a little bit you will soon find that players will be doing all their mining on alts.

Kaios mining should be hard. It has always been a high strength requirement. But like anything people have gotten used to the idea of mass production which does not belong in a game like haven. It ruins the uniqueness and value of metals and rare things. Even last world there were spots that required very high strength to just scratch.
LadyV

Re: Ancient Mining (Spalling)

Postby Vigilance » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:42 am

LadyV wrote:I don't want anyone to have fun in this game ever again. Even last world there were spots that required very high strength to just scratch.

except those incredibly hard to scratch spots were made easier by the significantly faster quality grind

guess what? q30+ mining tools are unheard of right now. they werent by this point in the old system.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas