Critique: New players and pvp hotspots

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Critique: New players and pvp hotspots

Postby burgingham » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:00 am

Robben_DuMarsch wrote:
Hervarth wrote:So to me the justice/siege system is a bigger issue than this.

I agree with this sentiment. Too easy to kill newbs without material risk of repercussion, even when others would band together to make you pay.

This and for two reasons.

1. Players have no real option to retaliate as has been said.

2. Cities are too safe and I cannot believe I am the one saying that. If the pvp factions had an actual chance of breaking into brickwalled towns they might leave the newbies alone more. Not all of them of course. Most that have been posting on the forums this world couldn't raid a normal town if their lives depended on it so they will stick with spruce hat kills. But Ainran and similar factions might take a different route then.

Mind you I don't want to swing the balance into the other direction again then. Cities would need more interactive ways to defend themselves then. Has all been brought up before, claim defenses like in Salem, guard dogs, etc. etc.

fuinharlz wrote:
venatorvenator wrote:In my opinion this is not a problem. New players don't need to stay in the center. Walking 18 hours in any direction is enough to be safe from nearly all raiders, as few would bother to make so much effort just to kill noobs with no loot.

Like someone discovers the game read that free players are given 48 initial hours and refilled 7h/week, create an account, log in, create his character and just think "hey, I might just wander in one single direction for my first 18 gameplay hours before actually doing anything else"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlJuxpeTats

Also agreed with this. The game needs to be a little friendlier to newbies especially now that the devs plan to make money off it. I know complete tutorials are out of the question for Jorb, but at least not throwing them in the middle of the action would be a good start.
burgingham

Postby fuinharlz » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:27 am

and for those saying "if they can't handle blablabla this ain't the game for them"... it's not because this is a open pvp permadeath full loot destroy everything other ppl acomplished that newbies need to get a really harsh start being chased by 100+UA 100+MC 300+ str/con/agi characters branding swords...
fuinharlz

Postby naosnule » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:41 am

I think it was great to let the server start quite close together, but now one should really have the option between spawning in the middle or spawning randomly in the world, with spawning randomly being the "default".

Spawning in the middle during early server life was suitable because many players already knew the game and many "stuff" were still available. However, a new player starting now has the worst experience possible, given that most bushes/trees have no fruits/stuff.
naosnule

Postby Vigilance » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:45 am

Potjeh wrote:IMO the spawning area should move randomly all over the map, like an eye of a giant shitstorm ¦]

I actually incredibly like this.

If it worked in a random semi-rotational way it could also work in a neat way alongside decay. People spawn in Region A in the north, by the time it comes back around a lot of those folk will either have quit or moved, and their bases are decaying/decayed.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby CaptainMidget » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:04 am

Cant for the first week or two of the world have everyone spawn in the center, so if person A is far east and person B spawns far west, B doesnt have to go to enormous lengths to walk to person A.. and then after the first week or two have been, spawn people randomly around the map within 3 hours of the center.
CaptainMidget

Postby shubla » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:33 am

I highly doubt that people keep going to starter area to get some noob kills. It must get boring at some point.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby spectacle » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:39 am

shubla wrote:I highly doubt that people keep going to starter area to get some noob kills. It must get boring at some point.

That applies to pretty much everything in this game though, but yet we keep playing an keep doing the same things over and over :) Why should noob-ganking be different?
Once a man has changed the relationship between himself and his environment, he cannot return to the blissful ignorance he left. Motion, of necessity, involves a change in perspective.
-Commissioner Pravin Lal, "A Social History of Planet"
spectacle

Postby fuinharlz » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:41 am

shubla wrote:I highly doubt that people keep going to starter area to get some noob kills. It must get boring at some point.

1 - they do! Some ppl walks hours straight just to kill newbs.
2 - not everyone killing newbs lives far away from the center. You can find really developed places arround the spawn area, even with 2 rows of bwalls, steel production and so on. Those guys can slaughter newbies without even having to walk more than minutes!
fuinharlz

Postby Hervarth » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:28 pm

There are a lot of roads leading into and out of the center, you can use them to get around the whole map pretty fast if you find the good ones.
_Gunnar's alt
Hervarth

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:58 pm

burgingham wrote:
Robben_DuMarsch wrote:
Hervarth wrote:So to me the justice/siege system is a bigger issue than this.

I agree with this sentiment. Too easy to kill newbs without material risk of repercussion, even when others would band together to make you pay.

This and for two reasons.

1. Players have no real option to retaliate as has been said.

2. Cities are too safe and I cannot believe I am the one saying that. If the pvp factions had an actual chance of breaking into brickwalled towns they might leave the newbies alone more. Not all of them of course. Most that have been posting on the forums this world couldn't raid a normal town if their lives depended on it so they will stick with spruce hat kills. But Ainran and similar factions might take a different route then.

Mind you I don't want to swing the balance into the other direction again then. Cities would need more interactive ways to defend themselves then. Has all been brought up before, claim defenses like in Salem, guard dogs, etc. etc.

fuinharlz wrote:
venatorvenator wrote:In my opinion this is not a problem. New players don't need to stay in the center. Walking 18 hours in any direction is enough to be safe from nearly all raiders, as few would bother to make so much effort just to kill noobs with no loot.

Like someone discovers the game read that free players are given 48 initial hours and refilled 7h/week, create an account, log in, create his character and just think "hey, I might just wander in one single direction for my first 18 gameplay hours before actually doing anything else"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlJuxpeTats

Also agreed with this. The game needs to be a little friendlier to newbies especially now that the devs plan to make money off it. I know complete tutorials are out of the question for Jorb, but at least not throwing them in the middle of the action would be a good start.

Thank you for putting it more eloquently than I could, Burg.
Robben_DuMarsch

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas