Critique: New players and pvp hotspots

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Critique: New players and pvp hotspots

Postby Tonkyhonk » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:13 pm

Potjeh wrote:IMO the spawning area should move randomly all over the map, like an eye of a giant shitstorm ¦]

and to everyone else who agreed with it...
that would be fine if devs seriously do not want to give new players any ways to know where they are.
otherwise, the center spawning would be rather a lot nicer for players to at least try and figure out where they had possibly spawned from the info they have, such as which direction they walked for how long hours, so that they might be able to locate their friends later somehow. even though the current random spawning was never meant to locate your friends outside the game-play, those who have played this for long enough would eventually find where they are anyways. again, im afraid this would yet again make a newbie unfriendly feature.
Tonkyhonk

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:41 pm

Tonkyhonk wrote: so that they might be able to locate their friends later somehow.

Party Arrow.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby Tonkyhonk » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:58 pm

Robben_DuMarsch wrote:
Tonkyhonk wrote: so that they might be able to locate their friends later somehow.

Party Arrow.

lets hope that every new player doesnt mind walking for unknown hours while following the arrow.
Tonkyhonk

Postby Shiala » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:32 pm

I haven't even bothered asking any of my friends to play with me because I know damn well they will not want to spend their first hours trying to navigate their way to me. Put some kind of token in the store that allows people to have their friend spawn near them. I've paid for subs and a hat, I'd pay to have my friends come straight to me instead of having to deal with the starting area because I know it would greatly increase the odds to them sticking around. As things are right now, I don't see any of them lasting even a couple of days.
Shiala

Postby Vigilance » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:02 pm

Tonkyhonk wrote:im afraid this would yet again make a newbie unfriendly feature.

Yeah, Tonky, and newbies spawning in the world's biggest fucking death match is a better option. :oops:
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby Bowshot125 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:15 pm

I prefer the starters spawning in one area rather than everywhere. It takes some time to walk and achieve peace & quiet. Its worth it though!
Bowshot125

Postby shubla » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:20 pm

Bowshot125 wrote:I prefer the starters spawning in one area rather than everywhere. It takes some time to walk and achieve peace & quiet. Its worth it though!

Exactly! View from my porch looks lots better without all those hearthfires and noobcamps
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Tonkyhonk » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:10 am

Vigilance wrote:
Tonkyhonk wrote:im afraid this would yet again make a newbie unfriendly feature.

Yeah, Tonky, and newbies spawning in the world's biggest fucking death match is a better option. :oops:

is it a better option to spawn in front of someones secret base without any ideas?
Tonkyhonk

Postby burgingham » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:28 am

That is very unlikely given the size of the world. In the starting area however everything is filled with bases.
burgingham

Postby naosnule » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:27 am

Tonkyhonk wrote:
Potjeh wrote:IMO the spawning area should move randomly all over the map, like an eye of a giant shitstorm ¦]

and to everyone else who agreed with it...
that would be fine if devs seriously do not want to give new players any ways to know where they are.
otherwise, the center spawning would be rather a lot nicer for players to at least try and figure out where they had possibly spawned from the info they have, such as which direction they walked for how long hours, so that they might be able to locate their friends later somehow. even though the current random spawning was never meant to locate your friends outside the game-play, those who have played this for long enough would eventually find where they are anyways. again, im afraid this would yet again make a newbie unfriendly feature.

There are two main cases:

1. New players who try the game on their own.
2. New players that test the game due to their friends playing.

In the 2nd case, their friends can simply use the party arrow and can teach them the basics of the game and specially to move far away from he current spawning point. That case is not as problematic as the first case. It is the players from the first case that get a horrible starting experience since most bushes have no berries in them, plenty of settlements everywhere, etc.
naosnule

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas