Ads in/before the game.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Ads in/before the game.

Postby GenghisKhan44 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:15 pm

I noticed last night I only had about 15 minutes left of the 7 hours I get as a free player. (I had intended to leave my character idle for a bit so my clay cauldron could boil. It ballooned into about an hour due to extenuating circumstances).

Now, I'm not asking for a refund of that wasted hour or anything. At the same time I absolutely refuse to "verify" my account; $15 is too much, even for all the years I've been here.

BUT, here's my thought: other games such as Runescape, and of course games by other "entrepreneurial" Vikings (such as Rovio) have advertisements on their games. Runescape IIRC has banner ads over the game screen while the game's running. And in order to unlock levels on Rovio's "Bad Piggies", they make you watch videos from their sponsors.

Perhaps you could strike some deals with some advertisers for more money - and perhaps be generous enough to give "free" players (since we'll be seeing ads) more hours?

FURTHERMORE, realising not everyone wants ads, perhaps agreeing to see ads could be an opt-in programme? i.e, we agree to have ads attack us (say before we login to the game) in exchange for an extra hour or three every week?

Like I say, those moneygrubbing Finnish bastards at Rovio do it, and I still love Angry Birds and Bad Piggies. (I am NEVER removing them!) I would not mind if my favourite moneygrubbing Swedish bastards did it, too.

EDIT: For clarity's sake, I'm suggesting ads in addition to subscriptions, not as a substitute for it. If you want to shovel money over to the two Swedes, I got no bones. But I, for one, would not mind sitting through a few ads to get some perks.
Last edited by GenghisKhan44 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...the dungeon and shackles are already at my threshold to show me here and now my eternal disgrace. Only you can work the miracle to make life possible for a soul so imperiled by doubt, O Atoner for all, exalted beyond saying." - St. Gregory of Narek, Book of Lamentations, Prayer 1.

You are much loved! Love in return!
GenghisKhan44

Re: Ads in/before the game.

Postby shubla » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:23 pm

This idea is stupid.
For one ad view jorb and loftar would get like 0.001$
Ads like that may work with big games like angry birds. Millions of users. Tens/hundreds millions of ad views. But with haven, no way.
People would make stuff to block ads too. Or some of them quit. I wouldnt want to play game if i had to watch blinking ads on every corner of screen. Also PC users are more againist ads than mobile users. Mobile users are used to watch ad videos all the time. I get mad if i accidently turn adblock off and watch even one ad on front of youtube video.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:51 pm

I specifically subscribe to avoid having to deal with ads and shit like that, I just want to play the game and not deal with that kind of garbage on forum or in game. Screw that.

No.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby LadyV » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:04 pm

As long as ad's are opt in for free players I have no problem with this. I mean its another means to achieve revenue. There should always be multiple ways to obtain things. However be aware it takes a lot of adds to equal a subscription. :)
LadyV

Postby shubla » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:16 pm

LadyV wrote:As long as ad's are opt in for free players I have no problem with this. I mean its another means to achieve revenue. There should always be multiple ways to obtain things. However be aware it takes a lot of adds to equal a subscription. :)

Ads would make so little money that they wouldnt work.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Sever » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Comparing Haven to Upset Animals is wrong on every level.
Come back two hours earlier.
Sever

Postby GenghisKhan44 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:51 pm

shubla wrote:This idea is stupid.
For one ad view jorb and loftar would get like 0.001$
Ads like that may work with big games like angry birds. Millions of users. Tens/hundreds millions of ad views. But with haven, no way.
People would make stuff to block ads too. Or some of them quit. I wouldnt want to play game if i had to watch blinking ads on every corner of screen. Also PC users are more againist ads than mobile users. Mobile users are used to watch ad videos all the time. I get mad if i accidently turn adblock off and watch even one ad on front of youtube video.

There must be someone willing to make an ad agreement with jorbtar.

Also:
Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:I specifically subscribe to avoid having to deal with ads and shit like that, I just want to play the game and not deal with that kind of garbage on forum or in game. Screw that.

No.

FURTHERMORE, realising not everyone wants ads, perhaps agreeing to see ads could be an opt-in programme? i.e, we agree to have ads attack us (say before we login to the game) in exchange for an extra hour or three every week?

LEARN.
TO.
READ.
"...the dungeon and shackles are already at my threshold to show me here and now my eternal disgrace. Only you can work the miracle to make life possible for a soul so imperiled by doubt, O Atoner for all, exalted beyond saying." - St. Gregory of Narek, Book of Lamentations, Prayer 1.

You are much loved! Love in return!
GenghisKhan44

Postby Jackwolf » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:00 pm

As a free player I believe that the ads should only appear for free players, and only before actually logging into the game.

Players who have already paid their verification or subscription have already support JnL, and thereby have done their part.

Having the ads show up pre-game would actually give anyone who is vaguely interested time to actually watch whatever, as well as keep from distracting players once they are _in game_, where such a distraction could potentially be deadly (or laggy).
Beezer12Washingbeard: If poo mechanics were implemented, mercury could cure constipation wounds
magisticus: Most of us avoid making jokes like this because there is always a risk Loftar might think it's a good idea and we all have to re-design our villages for sewerage. -6/29/17
Jackwolf

Postby Shrapnelx » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:16 pm

Ads are dumb and you should feel dumb.

Even with an opt-in system, the benefits would be negligible. The amount of people who play times the revenue generated for each ad, minus the people who opt-out of seeing ads. Jorbtar would see maybe a few dollars increase in profits..

YouTubers with millions of subscribers don't make their money in ad revenue, the millions they make come from sponsorship deals and endorsements.

I'm going to make a bold statement here, and simply say the Ads are ruining the internet, and will continue to do so if people use them as a way to make a few extra bucks, overloadning a free website/game with ads just to keep it free will drive away more people than if you would have switch to a payment model.

There are much better methods to make money, sure you might lose a few people if you switch from free to paid, but its better than resorting to Ads..
Shrapnelx

Postby Sevenless » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:25 pm

Without feeling the need to hate over this, I agree with the point that the user base of haven isn't large enough that ads in any form would make enough revenue to be worth the time to include.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas