Ads in/before the game.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Ads in/before the game.

Postby shubla » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:10 pm

Exactly, even if jorbtar would get some ad company to work with them. Money they would be making wouldnt even cover costs of paying for server.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby GenghisKhan44 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:36 am

Shrapnelx wrote:Even with an opt-in system, the benefits would be negligible. The amount of people who play times the revenue generated for each ad, minus the people who opt-out of seeing ads. Jorbtar would see maybe a few dollars increase in profits..

They seem to be content with minimal profits. I'd rather have their take on it.

YouTubers with millions of subscribers don't make their money in ad revenue, the millions they make come from sponsorship deals and endorsements.

Well, hey. If they managed to pull off 1000 subscribers, I'm sure it's not impossible for them to get away with something.

I'm going to make a bold statement here, and simply say the Ads are ruining the internet, and will continue to do so if people use them as a way to make a few extra bucks, overloadning a free website/game with ads just to keep it free will drive away more people than if you would have switch to a payment model.

That's not particularly bold. I do sympathise with it. However, it's also not particularly true. The makers of games need to make money some way or another. Ads may not be pretty, or enjoyable, but they give developers at least some income. And if sponsorships and endorsements give more, all the better.

I, for one, would find it intriguing to see a game titled: "Campbell's Soup Presents: Haven and Hearth" or somesuchthing. It'd be a throwback - like an old 50s show.

There are much better methods to make money, sure you might lose a few people if you switch from free to paid, but its better than resorting to Ads..

I was also speaking of ads in addition to subscriptions. Like Runescape.
"...the dungeon and shackles are already at my threshold to show me here and now my eternal disgrace. Only you can work the miracle to make life possible for a soul so imperiled by doubt, O Atoner for all, exalted beyond saying." - St. Gregory of Narek, Book of Lamentations, Prayer 1.

You are much loved! Love in return!
GenghisKhan44

Postby sabinati » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:23 am

$15 is too much for YEARS of entertainment?
sabinati

Postby Karede » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:31 am

How is $15 too much for double the playtime every week?
14 hours is really enough for just about everything once you're settled in
Karede

Postby Darruin » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:51 am

There's really not any way to state the verification costs too much without sounding like a tightass. It really doesn't, I'm usually happy if I get 1 hour of enjoyment per $1 with a game purchase, and with haven I get those hours every week.
Darruin

Postby Vigilance » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:53 am

Karede wrote:How is $15 too much for double the playtime every week?

how do you people enjoy this game
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby Karede » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:14 am

Vigilance wrote:
Karede wrote:How is $15 too much for double the playtime every week?

how do you people enjoy this game

I have a subscription
It is enough for my alts though
Karede

Postby GenghisKhan44 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:46 pm

sabinati wrote:$15 is too much for YEARS of entertainment?

Darruin wrote:There's really not any way to state the verification costs too much without sounding like a tightass. It really doesn't, I'm usually happy if I get 1 hour of enjoyment per $1 with a game purchase, and with haven I get those hours every week.

Just trying to offer some alternative ideas for funding. If that's too problematic for you hardcore sit-in-front-of-your-computer-gorging-yourself-on-Doritos-all-day sorts, sorry, but this post wasn't targeted at you.

It's targeted at people like me, who play this game casually, on and off sometimes away for years at a time. And who have divers other means of diverting themselves. And, yes, who don't spend more than $10 for a game because we like sales.
"...the dungeon and shackles are already at my threshold to show me here and now my eternal disgrace. Only you can work the miracle to make life possible for a soul so imperiled by doubt, O Atoner for all, exalted beyond saying." - St. Gregory of Narek, Book of Lamentations, Prayer 1.

You are much loved! Love in return!
GenghisKhan44

Postby Karede » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:04 pm

So you're just a super tightass. Got it
Karede

Postby Darruin » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:15 pm

GenghisKhan44 wrote:Just trying to offer some alternative ideas for funding. If that's too problematic for you hardcore sit-in-front-of-your-computer-gorging-yourself-on-Doritos-all-day sorts, sorry, but this post wasn't targeted at you.

It's targeted at people like me, who play this game casually, on and off sometimes away for years at a time. And who have divers other means of diverting themselves. And, yes, who don't spend more than $10 for a game because we like sales.

Why assume that? Honestly I don't play a ton either. I do like to AFK a lot, so a subscription/verified account is perfect for me. And I still think, especially as a paying customer, that I'm entitled to voice my opinion of your idea. Adding ads to the game would be a terrible decision because one - it would waste lorbtar's very limited manpower/time, and two - it wouldn't even work due to the small community.
Darruin

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas