Using Hard Leather as Leather

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Using Hard Leather as Leather

Postby DDDsDD999 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:17 pm

Hardened leather added an interesting dynamic to armour making in legacy haven as you could influence its quality heavily through wax and cycling hard leather over and over. Now that steel armours take leather, I feel we should have the option to use hard leather as normal leather.

These type of complex interactions with quality make it a more interesting system. Considering quality is the end-game focus, it should be allowed more dynamic interactions.

But instead of having to watch your inventory when making multiple hard leather, just allow us to "break up" hard leather so they are usable as normal leather. Either through a crafting menu or by right clicking as it is with breaking up hides into patches.

And/or maybe nerf CTCs because the quality you can get with them make it pretty easy to outclass any steel plates you make, with a UA/MC/AGI buff.
DDDsDD999

Re: Using Hard Leather as Leather

Postby Gabula » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:29 pm

I'm sure that a steel plate of q40 is a viable alternative to CTC. It's just easier to raise leather and string q than raising metal q right now.
Gabula

Postby Sevenless » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:07 pm

All other quality spirals have been effectively neutralized as mechanics.

I assumed at least this was intentional by the devs to remove that feature from the game.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby LadyV » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:50 pm

I disagree. Hard leather should be its own entity. You would not make soft leather pants from hard leather. And soft leather is not as effective armor as hard. It is different and should remain so.
LadyV

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:00 am

LadyV wrote:I disagree. Hard leather should be its own entity. You would not make soft leather pants from hard leather. And soft leather is not as effective armor as hard. It is different and should remain so.

Actually Cuir-boilli was in fact used in making leather greaves.

The biggest problem is that leather is most likely intended as the 'straps' of plate-armor, and it's utterly inappopriate for that application due to it's inflexible nature.

It's one thing to cast your legs in hardened leather shells, quite another to bind the joints between chestplate and arms and joints with it.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Sever » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:12 am

You are asking to count a triple-thick hardened leather bulwark as a soft, pliable sheet to be further hardened.

Shut up.
Come back two hours earlier.
Sever

Postby Sevenless » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:22 am

I honestly feel that realism is a pretty bad counter argument to this suggestion.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Sever » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:16 am

Sevenless wrote:I honestly feel that realism is a pretty bad counter argument to this suggestion.

This is one of the more obvious places where realism as an argument makes sense.

I have boiled three layers of leather with wax to make it harder and more brittle, now if I triple it again and add more wax, that'll really kick it up a notch! Also the leather somehow approaches the quality of the water or the wax or the cauldron or whatever but I assure you it completely makes sense.

Come at me, bro.

Edit: I may have overshot the point. Explain to me, why should repeated boiling make shitty hide better somehow?

This aggravates my knowledge of material science while autocrafting an inventory full of leather and wax into an inventory of 9 leather and 1 hardened leather launches a bloody crusade on my knowledge of game design. Seriously, I would rather you violate the laws of physics than let new players perpetually waste their entire stock of wax, painstakingly cooked and gathered over days, because autocrafting ate up a material which is not the right material and despite people hosting warnings that hardened leather is also leather, you have allowed a mechanic to violate its own rules and have therefore declared your disdain for the player.
Sever

Postby maze » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:45 am

CTC and Steel are in a good place currently.
Steel.

But I would say add a refining process to metals making 2 bars into 1 and only adding their high values not equaling em' off.
IE.
Iron 20/10/10 + iron 10/20/10.
refined
Iron 20/20/10

This way Metal always end up being better~ and refining metals is realistic.

another example
Iron 21/10/15
Iron 20/18/16
=
Iron 21/18/16

always taking the high values and placing em together.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby Sever » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:56 am

I might add that this idea of sacrificing more of the same material to make a better materials is a certain kind of disgusting alchemy that doesn't belong here.

Want better flour? Force two through a press to make it finer!

Want a better sword? Hold two swords up in a lightning storm and they shall merge into the instrument of Odin's fury!

Want better cows? Have them do a stupid dance and they will frickin' fuse into a super cow!
Sever

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas