Quality increases: A discussion on the differences/issues

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Quality increases: A discussion on the differences/issue

Postby bojackson » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:15 pm

Sigh farming is really an issue, My flax and hemp are the same ql they were almost 2 months ago... farming skill is like 60 (have druid skill) and the highest ql from them is maybe 30 ish... never climbs up, I tried rows, I tried planting small groups of them. Even tried planting 1 alone far away and still doesn't matter. Just really annoying and not fun :(

----------
Can we at least know the area in which the crops get averaged, so we can plant 1 far enough away to independently rng in hopes it will raise?
Last edited by bojackson on Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ohhh that's how I make a sig, cool
bojackson

Postby barra » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:50 pm

Garfy wrote:Want to know what is great?

When you spend weeks hunting for high quality soil, water and clay.
So you can make some good kilns, tar kilns, furnaces and then some good quality tree planters pots.
Then you slowly grow and replant trees over the next month to gradually increase their quality.
All the while you're hunting bears and stuffing yourself full of sausage.

All so you can get that slightly better quality pickaxe and increased strength and finally mine this ore you found on layer 3. At like 2% increase of the hour glass per tick.

And you know what that ore is? Quality 10 Heavy Earth because FUCK YOU.

Whoever decided mining should be changed to work like this needs a punch.

I'd like it if there was a way to prospect ore/stone quality. Something more expensive than just rustroot but an alternative to dropping mineholes everywhere.
loftar wrote:You do appear to need a good trolling.
barra

Postby Drevar » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:29 am

I'd like to see this with water as well. Some way to sample the water before we drop a well only to find out it is 10/10/10.
Drevar

Postby CaptainMidget » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:49 am

bojackson wrote:Sigh farming is really an issue, My flax and hemp are the same ql they were almost 2 months ago... farming skill is like 60 (have druid skill) and the highest ql from them is maybe 30 ish... never climbs up, I tried rows, I tried planting small groups of them. Even tried planting 1 alone far away and still doesn't matter. Just really annoying and not fun :(

----------
Can we at least know the area in which the crops get averaged, so we can plant 1 far enough away to independently rng in hopes it will raise?

Plant 1 crop, inspect it. If you are unhappy with the results, wait 5 hours and 1 minute. Try again. Or move a minimap size area away from initial plant, try again.

Though Loftar is considering taking Inspect option away from farm crops. Which if he does, I'd quit. Not a fan of RNG yoloing crops or planting 4 different batches to make sure the quality doesnt get nuked.. Especially Trellis'... with grapes...
CaptainMidget

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:00 pm

Just to throw in my .02c here.

1 - I totally agree that armor is by far the best implementation of the multi-quality system. To me it feels like this is how everything was intended to work, rather than most things based on average quality, expand on this.

2 - I actually am against the newest change involving tar kilns, boards, and their general use as a fuel. The slowed quality grind I felt was the right direction to go, rather than what we have happening now with the quality grind quickly moving back to legacy acceleration rates. (All Ore Q Booches aside). Haven is wonderful, but quality needs to be a long game on months or years of effort.

3 - Not a present issue, but bound to be one in the future. The longer crops go unharvested the lower their quality should be. Admittedly, I don't think this should happen until a week from maturity has passed, but this avoids the 'Gold Mine of Dead Cities' that happen in late worlds. Optimum would be that they simply collapse into bare farmland after this. Also -> Rather than just taking damage, kilns, ovens, smelters, all equipment in fact should start decaying not just in damage level but actually suffering a steady degradation of quality, so even if repaired it is forever "not right". In a long term world, this would ensure that as places are abandoned, the wealth they contain is on a timer rather than forever being damaged items that can be repaired to high quality production. Items in buildings should also be subject to decay if not on a claim, but perhaps at a slowed rate to account for their protection from the elements. Caves should, perhaps, provide an increased protection from this decay.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:24 pm

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:Haven is wonderful, but quality needs to be a long game on months or years of effort.

Why does it need to require effort that is only expressed by repetition?
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby Vigilance » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:28 pm

I love grinding the same thing for two years. It's very fun and adds lots of gameplay.

I also have autism. They're totally not connected!!!!!!!
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas